Faculty Profile for Dr. Larry Fulton
Biography and EducationLarry Fulton is an Associate Professor of Health Administration at Texas State University, San Marcos. He earned his Doctorate of Philosophy / Masters of Science in Statistics from the University of Texas at Austin, his Master of Health Administration from Baylor, and three other graduate degrees. Dr. Fulton is a Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE) and maintains the credentials of Chartered Scientist and Chartered Statistician (CStat CSci) as a Fellow in the Royal Statistical Society. He is a Certified Analytics Professional (CAP) of the Institute for Operations Research & Management Science, a Certified Quality Engineer and Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CQE CSSBB) of the American Society for Quality and a Professional Statistician (PStat) of the American Statistical Association.
Teaching InterestsMachine Learning, Optimization, Simulation, Decision Science, R Coding, Python, Statistics, Health Administration
Research InterestsMachine learning applications to healthcare, sustainability
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Fulton, L. V., & Kruse, C. S. (2019). Geospatial-Temporal, Explanatory, and Predictive Models for Hospital-Based Outpatient Back Surgery. Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR), 21(10), e14609. https://doi.org/10.2196/14609, JCR IF: 4.9, Q1 (#1 / 26 in Medical Informatics)
- Fulton, L. V., Dolezel, D. M., Yan, Y., & Fulton, C. P. (2019). Classification of Alzheimer’s Disease with and without Imagery Using Gradient Boosted Machines and ResNet-50. Brain Sciences, 9(9), 212. https://doi.org/10.3390/brainsci9090212 JCR IF: 2.8 Q2 Neuroscience
- Fulton, L. V., Dong, Z., Zhan, F. B., Kruse, C. S., & Stigler, P. E. (2019). Geospatial-Temporal and Demand Models for Opioid Admissions, Implications for Policy. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 8, 993. https://doi.org/doi:10.3390/jcm8070993 2018 JCR IF: 5.7, Q1 15/160: Medicine-General & Internal, CiteScore: 2.7, Q1 6/844 General Medicine
- Fulton, L. V. (2018). A Simulation of Rainwater Harvesting Design and Demand-Side Controls for Large Hospitals. Sustainability. https://doi.org/10.3390/su10051659 JCR IF: 2.6, SCOPUS Q1 Geography, CiteScore: 3.0
- Cohen, S., Peterlin, B., Fulton, L. V., Neely, E., Kurihara, C., Gupta, A., … Zhao, Z. (2015). Randomized, Double-Blind, Comparative-Effectiveness Study Comparing Pulsed Radiofrequency to Steroid Injections for Occipital Neuralgia, With or Without Migraine. Pain, 156(12), 2585–2594. https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000373 JCR IF: 6.0, JCR 5 IF: 6.6, Q1 (3 / 31 Anesthesiology), Google Scholar #1 Journal for Pain
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Application of Theory Paper, Green Cities Conference ICN Business School, Nancy France. January 2018 - June 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Health Scholar Showcase Poster Award ($5000), Texas State University. January 2018 - April 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: INFORMS Koopman Prize ($500), INFORMS. August 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award, Teaching ($2000), Texas State University. June 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi. October 2013
- Fulton, Lawrence (Co-Principal), Johnson, Don, Loughren, Michael, Gegel, Brian, Burger, James, Budinich, Craig, Carne, Carrie. Effects of Vasopressin Administration in a Cardiac Arrest Model, Triservice Nursing Research Program, Federal, $500000. (Submitted: 2013, Funded: January 2014 - September 2017). Grant.
- Fulton, Lawrence, Musal, Rasim, Wierschem, David. Phishing for Spam: An Experimental Design, Texas State University College Grant, State, $800. (Funded: July 2011). Grant.
- Fulton, Lawrence (Principal), Musal, Rasim. Phishing for Spam: An Experimental Design, Texas State University Research Enhancement University Grant, State, $13898. (Funded: July 2011). Grant.
- Fulton, Lawrence V, Musal, Rasim. The Effects of Computer-Assisted Instruction and Variable Certification Requirements on Student Performance in Undergraduate Statistics Classes, Texas State University College Grant (McCoy School of Business), State, $745. (Funded: July 2011). Grant.
- Fulton, Lawrence. University Lectures Award (2012), Texas State University, State, $2000. (Funded: January 2013 - February 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Program Director, BSHS
Bachelor of Healthcare Administration Program Director
Health Administration Track Chair Green Cities Conference
Angel Flight Command Pilot
August 2013-November 2018
CAHME Accreditation Team