Faculty Profile for Dr. Jeremy J Sierra
Biography and EducationBefore joining the marketing faculty at Texas State, Dr. Sierra taught at Northern Arizona University, where he was the recipient of an Outstanding Professor Award in the W. A. Franke College of Business. He earned his M.B.A. and Ph.D. from New Mexico State University and his B.S. in Hotel & Restaurant Management from California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.
With 1 book and 43 refereed journal articles to his name, Dr. Sierra is an avid golfer, ardent Nebraska football fan, and thoroughbred racing aficionado. Prior to entering academia, he accumulated ten years of experience in the hospitality industry, ranging from entrepreneurial restaurant establishments to high-end resort (i.e., Scottsdale Princess, Scottsdale Plaza Resort) and golf club environments (i.e., Frenchman’s Creek Country Club, Palm Beach Gardens, FL).
Teaching InterestsMarketing Management
Research InterestsBrand Tribalism
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Rayburn, S. W., Anderson, S. T., & Sierra, J. J. (2020). Future Thinking: A Marketing Perspective on Reducing Wildlife Crime. Psychology and Marketing, 37(12), 1643-1655 (Quality Indicators: CABS: 3, ABDC: A, Marketing Dept.: A, Impact Factor (Clarivate): 2.37, Lead Article). https://doi.org/dx.doi.org/10.1002/mar.21413
- Anderson, S. T., Rayburn, S. W., & Sierra, J. J. (2019). Future Thinking: The Role of Marketing in Healthcare. European Journal of Marketing, 53(8), 1521-1545 (Quality Indicators: CABS: 3, ABDC: A*, Marketing Dept: A, Impact Factor (Clarivate): 2.13/2.61 5-year). https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1108/EJM-10-2017-0779
- Sierra, J. J., Hyman, M. R., & Turri, A. M. (2018). Determinants and Outcomes of Superstitious Beliefs: A Multi-Study Approach. Journal of Marketing Management, 34(15–16), 1397–1417.
- Sierra, J., Hyman, M. R., Lee, B.-K., & Suh, T. (2015). Antecedents and Consequences of Extrinsic Superstitious Beliefs: A Cross-Cultural Investigation. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 27(4), 559–581.
- Taute, H. A., & Sierra, J. J. (2014). Brand Tribalism: An Anthropological Perspective. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 23(1), 2–15.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Nominee for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, McCoy College of Business. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Stephen R. “Steve” Gregg, Sr. Excellence Professorship, McCoy College of Business. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gary V. Woods Research Award, McCoy College of Business. 2010 - 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Highly Commended Paper, Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Paper, Journal of Product & Brand Management. 2015
Selected Service Activities
M.S. in Marketing Research & Analysis Committee
Journal of Promotion Management
Presidential Award Selection Committee for Scholarly and Creative Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Product & Brand Management