Faculty Profile for Dr. Enrique P Becerra
Biography and EducationDr. Becerra earned his bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from Purdue University (1982), his Master of Business Administration from University of Florida (984), and his Ph.D. in Marketing from Florida Atlantic University (2006). He has 14 years of experience in finance and international business. After completing his doctorate, Dr. Becerra joined Texas State University as an assistant professor in 2005. Dr. Becerra earned tenure and promotion to Associate Professor in 2011, and promotion to Professor in 2017. He served as interim Director of the Center for the Study of Latino Media and Markets in 2013-14, and currently serves as interim Chair, Department of Marketing.
He earned the McCoy College of Business Gary V. Woods Research Award in 2012. Dr. Becerra has published in several well-respected peer reviewed journals including Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Business Research, Journal of Advertising Research, European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Product and Brand Management, and Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services.
He serves on the editorial board of Journal of Advertising Research and Journal of Marketing Analytics, and he was leading co-chair of the 2017 Association for Consumer Research Latin America Conference, held in Cali, Colombia.
Teaching InterestsMarketing Strategy, International Marketing, Ethnic and Niche Marketing
Research InterestsDr. Becerra’s research interests focus on the effects of culture, ethnicity, identity, and self-concept on consumer behavior and its impact on firms. In addition, he researches consumer behavior and its relationship to branding and retailing.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Chapa, S., & Becerra, E. (2014). The Effect of Generational Status and Language-Tailored Political Advertising. Journal of Advertising Research, 54(3).
- Becerra, E., Badrinarayanan, V., & Kim, C. H. (2013). The Influence of Thinking Tendencies on the Online Transactions of Hybrid retailers. Journal of Business Research, 66(3), 336–344.
- Badrinarayanan, V. A., & Becerra, E. P. (2019). Shoppers’ Attachment with Retail Stores: Antecedents and Impact on Patronage Intentions. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 50(September), 371–378. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jretconser.2018.07.012
- Becerra, E. P., Badrinarayanan, V., & Henriquez, M. C. (n.d.). Perceived Security Risk and Shopping Behavior: An Exposition in Emerging Markets. In Academy of Marketing Science 2017 Conference Proceedings. Springer.
- Badrinarayanan, V. A., & Becerra, E. P. (2018). Understanding Negativity Toward Brands: A Framework of Antecedents of Online Brand Derision.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Professor of International Studies, Texas State University. October 1, 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: McCoy COBA Service Award, McCoy College Of Business Adminsitration. 2016 - 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in research, McCoy College of Business Administration. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best paper in advertising track – 2012 Summer American Marketing Association Conference. 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Gary V. Woods Research Award, McCoy College of Business Administration. 2011 - 2012
- Badrinarayanan, Vishag A, Becerra, Enrique P. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 2018, Funded: January 2019 - May 2020). Grant.
- Badrinarayanan, Vishag A, Becerra, Enrique P. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: January 1, 2017 - May 31, 2018). Grant.
- Badrinarayanan, Vishag (Principal), Becerra, Enrique (Co-Principal). Research Enhancement Program Grant, Texas State University, $11040. (Funded: January 2013 - January 2014). Grant.
- Becerra, Enrique (Co-Principal), Badrinarayanan, Vishag (Co-Principal). Research Enhancement Program Grant, Texas State University, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: November 2010 - August 2012). Grant.
- Becerra, Enrique (Principal), Chapa, Sindy (Co-Principal). Research Grant, McCoy College of Business Administration, Texas State University, $2000. (Funded: 2009 - 2010). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Marketing Analytics
Founder, officer and secretary
Association for Latino Media, Markets, and Communication Research
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of advertising Research
Monterrey TEC Toluca
April 25, 2019-April 26, 2019
Association of Consumer Research Latin America Conference