Faculty Profile for Dr. Alexis Stokes
Biography and EducationAlexis Brown Stokes is Associate Dean for Faculty and Research and Associate Professor of Business Law at Texas State University's McCoy College of Business. She earned her Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Political Science, and Managerial Studies, cum laude, from Rice University, and her Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School, where she served as president and editor-in-chief of the Harvard Journal on Legislation.
Before joining Texas State in 2005, Professor Stokes worked as a briefing attorney for the Supreme Court of Texas and then practiced complex commercial litigation and international arbitration in Houston, where she also served as Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Houston Law Center.
As Associate Dean, Professor Stokes' portfolio includes faculty policies and professional development, strategic planning, research initiatives, global engagement, and diversity, equity, and inclusion. In her faculty role, Professor Stokes teaches graduate courses in both organizational performance and international business law and ethics, as well as undergraduate courses in legal environment of business. She proudly serves as the Academic Program Director for Flex MBA/MSHRM Study Abroad Programs and as Co-Chair of the Women's Leadership Symposium. Professor Stokes also serves the University through membership on the President's Council for Women in Higher Education, the President's Work-Life Advisory Council, the Council on Funded Research, and the Institutional Effectiveness Council. Previously, Professor Stokes chaired Business Leadership Week and the McCoy College's AACSB maintenance of accreditation efforts while also serving as interim faculty ombudsman.
Professor Stokes' published scholarship focuses on corporate governance, securities regulation (specifically naked / abusive short selling), employment law, and international arbitration. She is a member of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business and a past-president of the ALSB International Law Section. She also frequently advises business groups on topics including legal considerations for entrepreneurs and business owners, corporate governance, securities compliance, employment law, and alternative dispute resolution. In her spare time, Professor Stokes is an engaged community volunteer and served as president of the National Charity League Lake Austin Chapter. She has been a certified mediator since 1997 and is admitted to practice law in Texas.
Teaching InterestsBusiness Law
International Business Law (Trade & Foreign Direct Investment)
International Business Ethics
Legal Risk Management
Organizational Performance and Competitive Advantage
Law and Strategic Management
Law and Economics
Research InterestsCorporate Governance
Ethics & Corporate Social Responsibility
Corporate Social Justice
Securities Regulation and Litigation
International Commercial Arbitration
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Stokes, A. B. (2011). An Apple a Day Keeps Shareholder Suits at Bay: An Examination of a Corporate Officer’s Legal Duty to Disclose Health Problems to Shareholders. Texas Wesleyan Law Review, 17(3), 303–324.
- Stokes, A., & Stokes, P. A. (2010). Short-Selling: Bogeyman or Not, Here Come More Regs. Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 23(3), 29.
- Stokes, A. (2009). In Pursuit of the Naked Short. New York University Journal of Law and Business, 5(1), 1–61.
- Stokes, A., & Stokes, P. A. (2008). Clothing and Disclosing the Short: SEC Tightens Short-Selling Regulations. Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 22(2), 5.
- Brown, A. C. (2001). Presumption Meets Reality: An Exploration of the Confidentiality Obligation in International Commercial Arbitration. American University International Law Review, 16(4), 969–1025. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1244&context=auilr
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Paper Presentation Award, Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business. March 18, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Paper Award, Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business. March 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: McCoy College Achievement Award for Teaching, McCoy College of Business. August 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Runner-Up, Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly Activity, Texas State University. 2012
- Stokes, Alexis. Faculty Development Grant, McCoy College, Texas State University, $1550. (Funded: November 2008). Grant.
- Stokes, Alexis. Faculty Development Grant, McCoy College, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: November 2007). Grant.
- Stokes, Alexis. Faculty Development Grant, McCoy College, Texas State University, $5453. (Funded: November 2006). Grant.
- Stokes, Alexis. Study Abroad Mini-Grant, Texas State University, Texas State University, $2600. (Funded: June 1, 2018 - May 1, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Academic Program Director
McCoy College Flex MBA/MSHRM Study Abroad Program
President’s Council for Women in Higher Education
Business Leadership Week
April 2018-August 2021
December 18, 2017-June 1, 2018
AACSB Faculty Accreditation Coordinator
July 2013-April 2017