Faculty Profile for Dr. Alexis Stokes
Biography and EducationAlexis Brown Stokes is Associate Professor of Business Law in the Department of Finance and Economics at Texas State University. She earned her Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Political Science, and Managerial Studies, cum laude, from Rice University, and her Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School, where she served as president and editor-in-chief of the Harvard Journal on Legislation.
Before joining Texas State in 2005, Professor Stokes worked as a briefing attorney for the Supreme Court of Texas and then practiced complex commercial litigation and international arbitration in Houston, where she also served as Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Houston Law Center.
At Texas State, Professor Stokes teaches graduate courses in both organizational performance and international business law, as well as undergraduate courses in legal environment of business. Her published scholarship focuses on corporate governance, securities regulation, employment law, and international arbitration. She is a member of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business and a past-president of the ALSB International Law Section. She also frequently advises business groups on topics including legal considerations for entrepreneurs and business owners, corporate governance, employment law, and alternative dispute resolution. She has been a certified mediator since 1997 and is admitted to practice law in Texas.
Teaching InterestsBusiness law, international law, legal risk management, corporate governance, law and economics, law and strategic management
Research InterestsSecurities regulation and litigation; naked short selling; international commercial arbitration; corporate governance; employment law
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Stokes, A. B. (2011). An Apple a Day Keeps Shareholder Suits at Bay: An Examination of a Corporate Officer’s Legal Duty to Disclose Health Problems to Shareholders. Texas Wesleyan Law Review, 17(3), 303–324.
- Stokes, A., & Stokes, P. A. (2010). Short-Selling: Bogeyman or Not, Here Come More Regs. Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 23(3), 29.
- Stokes, A. (2009). In Pursuit of the Naked Short. New York University Journal of Law and Business, 5(1), 1–61.
- Stokes, A., & Stokes, P. A. (2008). Clothing and Disclosing the Short: SEC Tightens Short-Selling Regulations. Journal of Taxation and Regulation of Financial Institutions, 22(2), 5.
- Brown, A. C. (2001). Presumption Meets Reality: An Exploration of the Confidentiality Obligation in International Commercial Arbitration. American University International Law Review, 16(4), 969–1025. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.wcl.american.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1244&context=auilr
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Paper Presentation Award, Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business. March 18, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Paper Award, Western Academy of Legal Studies in Business. March 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: McCoy College Achievement Award for Teaching, McCoy College of Business. August 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Runner-Up, Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly Activity, Texas State University. 2012
- Stokes, Alexis. Faculty Development Grant, McCoy College, Texas State University, $1550. (Funded: November 2008). Grant.
- Stokes, Alexis. Faculty Development Grant, McCoy College, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: November 2007). Grant.
- Stokes, Alexis. Faculty Development Grant, McCoy College, Texas State University, $5453. (Funded: November 2006). Grant.
- Stokes, Alexis. Study Abroad Mini-Grant, Texas State University, Texas State University, $2600. (Funded: June 1, 2018 - May 1, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Academic Program Director
McCoy College MBA Study Abroad Program
Business Leadership Week
December 18, 2017-June 1, 2018
AACSB Faculty Accreditation Coordinator
July 2013-April 2017
Study Abroad Strategic Planning Committee