Faculty Profile for Dr. Janet Payne
Biography and EducationJanet Payne, Ph.D. is an associate professor in the Department of Finance and Economics at Texas State University. She received her Bachelors of Business Administration in Accounting from Sam Houston State University and her M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Finance from Georgia State University. She is Faculty Advisor for the Financial Management Association, which has won Superior Chapter recognition virtually every year. Dr. Payne serves as Faculty Mentor for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Research Challenge. Three of her five CFA Research teams have made it to the four-state finals, with two of those teams winning first and second place to advance to the regional competitions. She has published research on various corporate finance issues in Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Financial Review, Journal of Financial Research, Journal of Financial Education, and various other outlets. She holds the Certified Treasury Professional and Financial Planning and Analysis Professional designations.
Teaching InterestsCorporate Finance, Financial Modeling, Personal Finance
Research InterestsCorporate Finance, International Finance, Behavioral Finance
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- You, L., Payne, J., & Lin, S. (2018). Do Multiple Foreign Listings Create Value for Firms? Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, 69, 134–143.
- Lesseig, V., & Payne, J. (2016). The Precision of Asset Beta Estimates. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 13(2), 213–224.
- Lytle, L., & Payne, J. (2015). Real-World Application: Forecasting and Valuation Pedagogy as Compared to Industry Practice. Advances in Financial Education, 13(1/2), 1–21.
- Payne, J., & Case, S. A. (2013). Determinants and Effects of Option Listings: Evidence from ADRs. International Journal of Managerial Finance, 9(9), 198–218.
- Kale, J. R., Kini, O., & Payne, J. (2012). The Dividend Initiation Decision of Newly Public Firms: Some Evidence on Signaling with Dividends. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 47(2), 365–396.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Educational Research Paper, Financial Education Association. September 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean Nominee for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Service, McCoy College. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor nominee, Alpha Chi. 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Departmental Award for Excellence in Research. 2011
Selected Service Activities
Financial Management Association Student Chapter Committee
Faculty Handbook Committee
September 2019-September 2021
Academic Advisory Board
November 2019-December 2020
Reviewer / Referee
American University of Sharjah
October 2019-December 2019
Reviewer / Referee
North American Journal of Economics and Finance
May 2019-December 2019