Faculty Profile for Dr. Joni S J Charles
Biography and EducationJoni Seaton James Charles is an Associate Professor of Economics in the McCoy College of Business Administration at Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas. Dr. Charles graduated from Howard University and Purdue University.
Teaching InterestsMicroeconomics, Environmental Economics and Management
Research InterestsGroundwater governance and groundwater management, Grassroots organization, Collaborative partnerships, and participatory decision making on water-related issues
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Charles, J. S. J. (2021). Reconciling revealed and stated measures for willingness to pay in recreation by building a probability model. ArXiv. https://doi.org/arXiv:2107.14343 [econ.GN]
- Charles, J. S. J. (2018, July). Knowledge, Perceptions and Understanding of Groundwater: A Texas Survey 2017. Texas + Water. San Marcos, Texas, USA: Meadows Center for Water and the Environment. Retrieved from https://us9.campaign-archive.com/?u=1a75c397ce97f21a4a4d5da50&id=5c7a16deeb
- Charles, J. S. J., & Chih, Y.-Y. (2016). Delinquency Reinforcement and Balance: Is Exposure to Delinquent Peers Always Risky? BE Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, 16(4). Retrieved from https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/bejeap.2016.16.issue-4/issue-files/bejeap.2016.16.issue-4.xml
- Charles, J. (2014). To Grow or Not to Grow (That is the Question). Buffalo, New York, USA: National Center for Case Studies in Science.
- Charles, J. (2005). Executive Summary: Economic Activity Associated With Commercial Fishing, Recreational Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife Observation Along the Texas Gulf Coast.
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2020 House Cup Award - Business Board, Merlot - Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching). May 13, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Learning Excellence Fellow. December 13, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, McCoy Collge of Business Administration. August 25, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society - Alfred H. Nolle Chapter. May 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Recognition, National Association of Black Accountants - Cen-Tex Chapter. April 23, 2009
- Charles, Joni (Supporting). Research on How Much Water is in the Pedernales and How It Connects to the Rest of the Hill Country?, Meadows Center for Water and the Environment. (Submitted: September 2015, Funded: September 19, 2015 - November 30, 2016). Grant.
- Charles, Joni. The Economics of Siting Hazardous Waste Facilities, National Science Foundation, Federal. (Funded: January 1991 - January 1993). Grant.
- Charles, Joni. McCoy College Student Development Grant, Texas State University. (Funded: 2007 - 2008). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
International Watershed Studies Partner
Meadows Center for Water and the Environment
September 1, 2018-Present
Peer Reviewer, Case Studies in Environmental Economics, Environmental Management, Environmental Studies
National Center for Case Studies in Teaching Science
Peer Reviewer, Microeconomics Teaching Materials
MERLOT II - Online Teaching and Learning
Reviewer, Grant Proposal
Environmental Protection Agency
Reviewer, Journal Article
Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management