Faculty Profile for Dr. Sangchul Hwang
Biography and EducationSangchul Hwang is an associate professor of Civil / Environmental Engineering in Ingram School of Engineering at Texas State University. He joined the faculty in 2020 after serving as a professor for 16 years at the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. He is a licensed professional engineer in Texas (#131161). Prior to joining the UPR-Mayagüez, he did two post-doctoral appointments: one was at US EPA National Risk Management Research Laboratory (OK) and the other at US Army ERDC Environmental Laboratory (MS). He acquired a PhD degree from the University of Akron (OH).
Teaching InterestsDr. Hwang is interested in teaching various environmental and water resources engineering courses: from Fluid Mechanics and Water Treatment to Waste Management.
Research InterestsDr. Hwang’s research expertise is broadly in nature-inspired frugal engineering, water quality enhancement and resource recovery. His current research thrust is with upcycling of invasive aquatic plants to produce menstrual hygiene products and with design, optimization, and implementation of Green Infrastructure and Low Impact Development tool.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Arocho, M., Segarra, R., Diaz, V., & Hwang, S. S. (2018). Eco-friendly pervious concrete infrastructure for stormwater management and bicycle parking: A case study. Urban Water Journal, 15, 713–721. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/1573062X.2018.1536760
- Hwang, V., Masters, A., Arocho, M., & Hwang, S. S. (2017). Fly ash-amended pervious concrete pavement followed by bamboo bioretention basin with Dracaena sanderiana for urban stormwater runoff control. Construction & Building Materials, 132, 161–169.
- Latorre, I., Hwang, S. S., Sevillano, M., & Montalvo, R. (2012). PVC Biodeterioration and DEHP Leaching by DEHP-degrading Bacteria. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 69, 73–81.
- Hwang, S. S., Martinez, D., Perez, P., & Rinaldi, C. (2011). Effect of surfactant-coated iron oxide nanoparticles on the effluent water quality from a simulated sequencing batch reactor treating domestic wastewater. Environmental Pollution, 159, 3411–3415.
- Huling, S., & Hwang, S. S. (2010). Iron Amendment and Fenton Oxidation of MTBE-Spent Granular Activated Carbon. Water Research, 44, 2663–2671.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Professional Engineer, Texas Board of Professional Engineer. July 9, 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certified Pervious Concrete Technician, NRMCA. March 6, 2016 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Tau Beta Pi, Tau Beta Pi, The Engineering Honor Society. December 2001 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Invited Talk, US EPA Region 3 Headquater. March 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Professor of Civil Engineering, 2012-2013, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez. May 2014
- Fulton, Lawrence V (Principal), Biediger-Friedman, Lesli M (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Villagran, Melinda Morris (Co-Principal), Renick, Cecil O (Supporting), Mileski, Michael (Supporting), Ramamonjiarivelo, Zo H (Supporting), Sen, Keya (Co-Principal), Mendez, Francis A (Supporting), Charles, Joni S J (Supporting), Perez, Eduardo (Supporting), Shanmugam, Ram (Supporting), Stigler Granados, Paula Elaine (Supporting), Hwang, Sangchul Scott. Nutrition for Underserved Elderly via Application (NUEVA), DHHS (Administration for Community Living, acl.gov), Federal, $3000000. (Submitted: March 10, 2022, Funded: August 2022 - August 2027). Grant.
- Yeon, Jung Heum (Principal), Ozbakkaloglu, Togay (Co-Principal), Hwang, Sangchul (Co-Principal), Song, In-Hyouk (Co-Principal). Development of IoT-Based Snow Removal System for Preemptive Response to Heavy Snow and Black Ice, Seoul Institute of Technology (SIT), International, $326551. (Funded: September 2021 - December 2023). Grant.
- Hustvedt, Gwendolyn, Hwang, Sangchul Scott, (Waliczek) Cade, Tina Marie. MESH (Making Erosion-safe Shoreline from Hyacinth), Environmental Protection Agency - P3, Federal, $25000. (Submitted: 2021, Funded: 2022 - 2023). Grant.
- Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Principal). Pervious Rooftop Layer for Rain Harvesting and Inactivation of E. coli, USGS, Federal, $50000. (Funded: 2014 - 2016). Grant.
- Hwang, Sangchul Scott (Principal). Structural and Reactive Pervious Composite for Urban Storm Water Management, AES Puerto Rico, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $710000. (Funded: 2012 - 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Plum Creek Watershed Partnership Steering Committee
ISoE Personal Committee
Water Resources Asso./Full Professor Search Committee
Plum Creek Wetlands Preserve Planning Committee
Editorial Review Board Member
Revista Internacional de Desastres Naturales, Accidentes e Infraestructura Civil (RIDNAIC)