Faculty Profile for Dr. Manu Pokharel
Biography and EducationDr. Pokharel holds a B.S. in Nursing from the Purwanchal University, Nepal; an M.S. in Health Promotion and education and a Ph.D. in Communication from the University of Utah.
Dr. Pokharel's research focuses on the strategic communication of health information to the public. She utilizes foundational approaches to strategic communication—audience segmentation/targeting and message development/testing—to engage pressing issues in health communication. Her primary research program investigates the persuasive impact of visual message features on knowledge, attitudes, and behavior in the context of cancer prevention and control.
She has published several articles within and outside the discipline, in journals such as the Journal of Behavioral Medicine, Journal of Health Communication, Risk Analysis, and Journal of Dermatological Science.
You can learn more about her work at www.manupokharel.com
Teaching InterestsEmpirical research methods, Health Communication
Research InterestsHealth Communication, Cancer Communication, Visuals, Emotion, Skin Cancer, Health Campaigns
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Jensen, J. D., Pokharel, M., Carcioppolo, N., Upshaw, S., John, K. K., & Katz, R. A. (2019). Cancer information overload: Discriminant validity and relationship to sun safe behaviors. Patient Education and Counseling.
- Pokharel, M., Christy, K. R., Jensen, J. D., Giorgi, E. A., John, K. K., & Wu, Y. P. (2019). Do ultraviolet photos increase sun safe behavior expectations via fear? A randomized controlled trial in a sample of US adults. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 42(3), 401--422.
- Pokharel, M., Elrick, A., Canary, H. E., Clayton, M. F., Sukovic, M., Champine, M., … Kaphingst, K. A. (2019). Health communication roles in Latino, Pacific Islander, and Caucasian Families: A qualitative investigation. Journal of Genetic Counseling.
- John, K. K., Jensen, J. D., King, A. J., Pokharel, M., & Grossman, D. (2018). Emerging applications of eye-tracking technology in dermatology. Journal of Dermatological Science, 91(2), 117--123.
- Jensen, J. D., Pokharel, M., Scherr, C. L., King, A. J., Brown, N., & Jones, C. (2017). Communicating uncertain science to the public: How amount and source of uncertainty impact fatalism, backlash, and overload. Risk Analysis, 37(1), 40--51.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduate Student Publishing Award, University of Utah. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Doctoral Honors Seminar, National Communication Association. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduate Colleague of the Year Award, University of Utah. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Paper Award, Risk Analysis. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Top Paper Award, Western States Communication Association (WSCA). 2017
Selected Service Activities
Public Health Minor and Health Communication curriculum update committee
Reviewer / Referee
International Communication Association
November 1, 2019-Present
Communication Graduate Student Association (CGSA)
Graduate Faculty Committee