Faculty Profile for Dr. Merritt L Drewery
Biography and EducationA Texas native, I hail from Baytown. I received my BS and MS from Texas A&M University in Animal Science, then crossed state lines and received my PhD in Human Nutrition from Louisiana State University. After a two-year hiatus from academia and the southern United States, I returned to Texas in Fall 2019 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Agricultural Sciences.
Teaching InterestsI am interested in teaching and mentoring approaches that position underrepresented students for professional success. Texas State University is lucky to be a Hispanic Serving Institution and, accordingly, enrolls many minority and first-gen students. These students often lack familial understanding or support of the challenges faced at the post-secondary and, eventually, professional level.
Accordingly, my colleagues and I are evaluating an education model that integrates experiential opportunities, exposure to the professional workforce, and service-learning as a means of enhancing the quality of education and aiding underrepresented students in achieving their professional goals.
Research InterestsMy research program focuses on the evaluation of novel feedstuffs as a means to enhance beef cattle production with a focus on insects and insect products. I aim to extend these evaluations to other potential feedstuffs and livestock production systems.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Drewery, M. L., Gaitan, A. V., Liu, Y., Ji, L., Nikas, S. P., Wood, J., … Lammi-Keefe, C. J. (2021). Relationship between endocannabinoids during pregnancy and infant heart rate and heart rate variability. EC Nutrition, 16(1), 110–122. Retrieved from https://www.ecronicon.com/ecnu/pdf/ECNU-16-00897.pdf
- Drewery, M. L., Sawyer, J. E., & Wickersham, T. A. (2021). Post-extraction algal residue as a protein supplement for beef steers consuming forage: palatability and nutrition utilization. Animal Feed Science Technology. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2020.114796
- Kerr, A., Omana Sudhakaran, P. O., & Drewery, M. L. (2020). Pre and post-weaning performance of calves fed milk replacer containing different sources of butyrate. Retrieved from https://virtual2020.adsa.org/poster-sessions/82743
- Gaitan, A. V., Drewery, M. L., Thaxton, C. A., Carabante, K., Seidemann, E., Elkind-Hirsch, K., & Lammi-Keefe, C. (2018). Dietary intake and omega-3 DHA status in pregnant women who are overweight. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs, 47, 438–450.
- Drewery, M. L., Gaitan, A. V., Spedale, S. B., Monlezun, C. J., Miketinas, D. C., & Lammi-Keefe, C. J. (2017). Maternal n-6 and n-3 fatty acid status during pregnancy is related to infant heart rate and heart rate variability: an exploratory study. Prostaglandins Leukot Ess Fatty Acids, 117–125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plefa.2017.09.003
- Drewery, Merritt L (Principal), Wickersham, Tryon A. Black soldier fly larvae as a protein source for cattle consuming forage, USDA, Federal, $200000. (Submitted: March 2020, Funded: July 2021 - July 2023). Grant.
- Kathcart, Emma, Drewery, Merritt L. Black Soldier Fly Larvae as a protein source for beef steers fed low quality hay, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: October 2020 - Present). Grant.
- Drewery, Merritt L (Principal). Positioning underrepresented students for professional success in agricultural sciences (PUPS-Ag), Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: September 2020 - Present). Grant.
- Drewery, Merritt L, Anderson, Ryan Gerald (Co-Principal), Wickersham, Tryon (Co-Principal). Exposure, Experiential learning, and Extension: positioning underrepresented students for academic and professional success in agricultural sciences – 3eX-Ag, USDA-NIFA-HSI, Federal, $249998. (Submitted: 2020, Funded: September 1, 2020 - August 31, 2024). Grant.
- Mix, Kenneth D, Schwinning, Susan, Benavides, Elizabeth Ashley, Drewery, Merritt L. Transdisciplinary Research, Educational and Extension Laboratory, USDA, Federal, $145616. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: February 2020 - February 2023). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas Beef Team (Texas Beef Council)
College Research Enhancement Committee
Undergraduate Scholarship Committee
Grad School Prep for First-Gen Students in Ag
Search Committee Member for Admin. Assistant III
October 2020-November 2020