Faculty Profile for Dr. Merritt L Drewery
Biography and EducationA Texas native, I hail from Baytown. I received my BS and MS from Texas A&M University in Animal Science, then crossed state lines and received my PhD in Human Nutrition from Louisiana State University. After a two-year hiatus from academia and the southern United States, I returned to Texas in Fall 2019 as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Agricultural Sciences.
Teaching InterestsI am interested in teaching and mentoring approaches that position underrepresented students for professional success. Texas State University is lucky to be a Hispanic Serving Institution and, accordingly, enrolls many minority and first-gen students. These students often lack familial understanding or support of the challenges faced at the post-secondary and, eventually, professional level.
Accordingly, my colleagues and I are evaluating an education model that integrates experiential opportunities, exposure to the professional workforce, and service-learning as a means of enhancing the quality of education and aiding underrepresented students in achieving their professional goals.
Research InterestsMy research program focuses on the evaluation of novel feedstuffs as a means to enhance beef cattle production with a focus on insects and insect products. I aim to extend these evaluations to other potential feedstuffs and livestock production systems.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Drewery, M. L., Sawyer, J. E., & Wickersham, T. A. (2021). Effect of upstream processing on nutritional value of post-extraction algal residue in beef cattle. Animal Nutrition and Feed Technology, 21, 221–232. https://doi.org/10.5958/0974-181X.2021.00019.6
- Carrasco, M., Drewery, M. L., Anderson, R. G., & Marshall. (2021). Adoption of technology and social media in the post-secondary agricultural classroom before and as a result of COVID-19. North American College of Teachers and Agriculture (NACTA) Journal.
- Tasci, K., Drewery, M. L., Anderson, R. G., & Swafford, M. (2021). Adoption of software in the post-secondary agricultural classroom as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture (NACTA) Journal.
- Drewery, M. L., Gaitan, A. V., Liu, Y., Ji, L., Nikas, S. P., Wood, J., … Lammi-Keefe, C. J. (2021). Relationship between endocannabinoids during pregnancy and infant heart rate and heart rate variability. EC Nutrition, 16(1), 110–122. Retrieved from https://www.ecronicon.com/ecnu/pdf/ECNU-16-00897.pdf
- Drewery, M. L., Sawyer, J. E., & Wickersham, T. A. (2021). Post-extraction algal residue as a protein supplement for beef steers consuming forage: palatability and nutrition utilization. Animal Feed Science Technology. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2020.114796
- Award / Honor Recipient: "Most Inspirational", Faculty Research & Productivity (FRAP) Network. May 2021
- Racelis, Alexis (Principal), Drewery, Merritt L (Co-Principal), Mix, Kenneth D (Co-Principal), Gabler, Christoper (Co-Principal), Rugg, Savannah (Co-Principal), Garza, Nora (Co-Principal). South Texas Agriculture Roadmap for Training, Research, Experiential Learning, and Careers (STARTREC) in Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resources, USDA HSI Education Grants Program, Federal, $1000000. (Submitted: January 2021, Funded: September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2025). Grant.
- Drewery, Merritt L (Principal), Anderson, Ryan Gerald (Co-Principal). Science, Technology, Engineering, Agriculture, & Mathematics: integrating scientific inquiry in curriculum for pre-service Agricultural Education teachers (STEAM-AGED), USDA HSI Education Grants Program, Federal, $275000. (Submitted: January 2021, Funded: September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2025). Grant.
- Drewery, Merritt L (Principal), Wickersham, Tryon A. Black soldier fly larvae as a protein source for cattle consuming forage, USDA, Federal, $200000. (Submitted: March 2020, Funded: July 2021 - July 2023). Grant.
- Kathcart, Emma, Drewery, Merritt L. Black Soldier Fly Larvae as a protein source for beef steers fed low quality hay, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: October 2020 - Present). Grant.
- Drewery, Merritt L (Principal). Positioning underrepresented students for professional success in agricultural sciences (PUPS-Ag), Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: September 2020 - Present). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Student Outcome Assessments Coordinator: Animal Science
Texas Beef Team (Texas Beef Council)
College Research Enhancement Committee
Undergraduate Scholarship Committee
New Tenure Track Faculty Orientation: Becoming a Productive Scholar and Researcher
August 18, 2021