Faculty Profile for Dr. Cody Lynn Patterson
Biography and EducationB.S. Mathematics, Texas A&M University, 2002.
M.S. Mathematics, Texas A&M University, 2003.
Ph.D. Mathematics, University of Texas at Austin, 2010.
Teaching InterestsI enjoy teaching courses for mathematics majors, including analysis, topology, and abstract algebra. I also enjoy teaching courses in the calculus sequence and mathematics content courses for preservice and inservice mathematics teachers.
Research InterestsMathematical knowledge for teaching secondary mathematics; problem solving; teachers' and students' epistemologies of mathematics.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Patterson, C. L., & McGraw, R. (2018). When time is an implicit variable: An investigation of students’ ways of understanding graphing tasks. Mathematical Thinking and Learning, 20(4), 295–323. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1080/10986065.2018.1509421
- Patterson, C. L., Wrightsman, E. M., Kirmizi, M., & McGraw, R. (n.d.). Extractive and inferential discourses for equation solving. Philadelphia, PA, United States.
- Hughes Hallett, D., Kalaycioglu, S., Lahme, B., Morris, J., Patterson, C. L., Spiegler, A., & Wootton, A. (2020). Web video content for Calculus: Single and Multivariable. In Calculus: Single and Multivariable. Hoboken, NJ, United States: John Wiley & Sons.
- Cattey, C., & Patterson, C. L. (n.d.). Discovering square roots: Productive struggle in middle school mathematics.
- Patterson, C. L., Warshauer, H. K., & Warshauer, M. L. (n.d.). Resources that preservice and inservice teachers offer in collaborative analysis of student thinking.
- Award / Honor Recipient: David Lovelock Faculty Teaching Award, University of Arizona Department of Mathematics. May 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Service Award, University of Arizona Department of Mathematics. May 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Frank Gerth III Teaching Excellence Award, UT Department of Mathematics. 2005
- Patterson, Cody Lynn (Principal), Prasad, Priya (Co-Principal), Bonner, Emily (Co-Principal). Reasoning Language for Teaching Secondary Algebra (ReLaTe-SA), National Science Foundation (Discovery Research PreK-12), Federal, $444474. (Funded: September 1, 2019 - August 31, 2022). Grant.
- Patterson, Cody Lynn (Principal), Warshauer, Max L (Co-Principal). Harman-Mayes-Sooch Family Fund, Harman-Mayes-Sooch Family Fund, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $52000. (Funded: February 11, 2021 - December 31, 2021). Grant.
- Patterson, Cody Lynn, Prasad, Priya (Other). Sawtelle Financial Teaching Scholars, UTSA Faculty Center and Academy of Distinguished Teaching Scholars, Institutional (Higher Ed), $3000. (Funded: January 2017 - May 2017). Grant.
- Patterson, Cody Lynn, Stolzfus, Kevin (Principal). Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant, Arizona Department of Education, Institutional (Higher Ed), $290922. (Funded: January 2015 - May 2015). Grant.
- Patterson, Cody Lynn, King, Juliet (Principal). Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant, Arizona Department of Education, State, $280376. (Funded: January 2014 - May 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
American Invitational Mathematics Examination (AIME) Editorial Board
June 24, 2019-Present
Texas State H-LSAMP Scholars Program
Texas State Mathematics Education Seminar
Texas State STEMCommunities
SA-COMMIT (Communities for Mathematics Inquiry in Teaching Network)
November 14, 2020-Present