Faculty Profile for Dr. Holly Atwood Syrdal
Biography and EducationPh.D. in Marketing from University of Texas at Arlington, MBA from Southeastern Louisiana University, and B.S. in Marketing from University of New Orleans | 5 years industry experience working for national service provider and regional hospital | 9 years of experience teaching variety of courses, including digital marketing, social media marketing, marketing research, marketing management (strategy), IMC/promotion strategy, services marketing, public relations, principles of marketing, and advertising | Primary research interests in areas of digital, services, and non-profit marketing | Established record of research with numerous high quality journal publications and conference proceedings
Teaching InterestsDigital marketing, social media marketing, marketing research
Research InterestsDr. Syrdal's research interest fall under the umbrellas of digital marketing, marketing pedagogy, non-profit marketing, and services marketing. She is currently working on several research projects in the domain of social media, with focuses such as influencer marketing and engagement with content. A new topic Dr. Syrdal is exploring is the use of storytelling for branding and marketing.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Woodroof, P., Howie, K., Syrdal, H. A., & VanMeter, R. (2020). What’s Done in the Dark Will be Brought to the Light: Effects of Influencer Transparency on Product Efficacy and Purchase Intentions. Journal of Product & Brand Management, 29(5), 675–688. https://doi.org/10.1108/JPBM-05-2019-2362
- Kemp, A. F., McDougal, E. R., & Syrdal, H. A. (2019). The Matchmaking Activity: An Experiential Learning Exercise on Influencer Marketing for the Digital Marketing Classroom. Journal of Marketing Education, 41(2), 141–153.
- VanMeter, R., Syrdal, H. A., Powell-Mantel, S., Grisaffe, D. B., & Nesson, E. T. (2018). Don’t Just “Like” Me, Promote Me: How Attachment and Attitude Influence Brand-related Behaviors on Social Media. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 43, 83–97.
- Syrdal, H. A., & Briggs, E. (2018). Engagement with Social Media Content: A Qualitative Exploration. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 26(2–1), 4–22.
- Janakiraman, N., Syrdal, H. A., & Freling, R. (2016, August). How to Design a Return Policy. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2016/08/how-to-design-a-return-policy
- Award / Honor Recipient: Carla Buss Memorial Scholarship. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Enhanced Doctoral Teaching Assistantship. 2011 - 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: University of Texas at Arlington Marketing Department Outstanding Teaching & Research Award. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Southeastern Louisiana University College of Business ASSET Award for Distinguished Research Presentation. 2008
Selected Service Activities
M.S. in Marketing Research and Analysis Program Committee
Director of Academic Placement Services
Society for Marketing Advances
Digital and Social Media Marketing Track Co-chair
Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference
August 2019-May 2020
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice
November 2019-November 2019
Society for Marketing Advances Doctoral Consortium
November 7, 2019-November 7, 2019