Faculty Profile for Debra Muller Price
Biography and EducationAfter enjoying 30 years in journalism and public relations, Debra Muller Price joined Texas State University in 2018 as a full-time lecturer in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. She specializes in teaching public relations courses, including PR writing, campaigns and case studies, as well as media writing and advanced social media.
Price earned a bachelor of journalism degree from The University of Texas, where she served as managing editor of The Daily Texan. She began her professional career in New York City, working as an intern for Esquire magazine and as a staff editor for three publishing companies – Hearst Magazines, Meredith Corporation, and Gruner + Jahr.
Over the years, Price developed expertise in interior design, arts, antiques and travel, leading to a freelance career writing for national and regional publications. Her work has appeared in Country Living, Coastal Living, Art & Antiques, Veranda, Traditional Home, Forbes FYI, The Boston Globe, and the Charlotte Observer. She is the author of two books, Garden Decorating and Christmas With Country Living.
Price shifted her focus to public relations after relocating to the Southeast. In Chattanooga, Tennessee, she served as director of marketing and communications for a leading institute serving children with special needs. She has also worked as a communications strategist and editor for a variety of companies, nonprofits, and arts organizations in Tennessee and Texas.
In 2016, Price returned to school to earn a master's degree in mass communication with a concentration in strategic communication from Texas State University. She lives in Austin, where she enjoys hiking and exploring Central Texas with her husband, two sons, and two dogs.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Price, D. M., & Kaufhold, W. T. (n.d.). Bordering on Empathy: The Effect of Selective Exposure on Immigration Attitudes. Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, 63(3), 494–511.
- Price, D. M. (2002). Christmas With Country Living. Oxmoor House.
- Price, D. M. (2001). Garden Decorating: Accents for Outdoors. Hearst Books.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alfred H. Holle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National Honor Society. May 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: Panhellenic Council Professor Appreciation Nominee, Texas State Panhellenic Council. October 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2020 Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State University Alumni Association. May 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certificate of Appreciation, Centro Cultural Hispano de San Marcos. August 2019 - December 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Graduate Student, School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Texas State University. August 2017 - May 2018
Selected Service Activities
Price for AISD District 4
September 2018-November 2018
PRSA International Conference
Social Media Monitor
Mass Comm Week, School of Journalism and Mass Communication
October 16, 2018-October 17, 2018
Mentor to Student Team, Texas State University
AAF National Student Advertising Competition Team
January 2017-April 2017
Election Judge and Early Voting Deputy
Travis County Elections