Faculty Profile for Dr. Julie McCormick Weng
Biography and EducationJulie McCormick Weng is Assistant Professor of English at Texas State University. She teaches courses in modern British, Irish, and postcolonial literatures. Her publications include a coedited volume, Science, Technology, and Irish Modernism (Syracuse University Press, 2019), with Kathryn Conrad and Cóilín Parsons, as well as essays in venues such as Journal of Modern Literature, Éire-Ireland, Joyce Studies Annual, Feminist Formations, and more. Currently, she is coediting Race in Irish Literature and Culture (Cambridge University Press) with Malcolm Sen.
Research InterestsTwentieth Century British Literature, Irish Studies, Modernism, Postcolonial Studies, James Joyce, Samuel Beckett, Science and Technology, Gender and Women's Studies, Multimodal Pedagogies
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Weng, J. M., Conrad, K., & Parsons, C. (Eds.). (2019). Science, Technology, and Irish Modernism. Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- Weng, J. M. (2019). “John Eglinton: An Irish Futurist.” In K. Conrad, C. Parsons, & J. M. Weng (Eds.), Science, Technology, and Irish Modernism (pp. 34–52). Syracuse: Syracuse University Press.
- Weng, J. M. (2016). “‘Decorticated’ Brains and ‘Steriliz[ed]’ Minds: Samuel Beckett and Irish Censorship.” Éire-Ireland, 51:(3–4), 188–215.
- Weng, J. M. (2016). “Her ‘Bisexycle,’ Her Body, and Her Self-Propulsion in Finnegans Wake.” Journal of Modern Literature, 39:(4), 49–66.
- Weng, J. M. (2015). “From ‘Dear Dirty Dublin’ to ‘Hibernian Metropolis’: A Vision of the City through the Tramways of Ulysses.” Joyce Studies Annual, 28–54.
- Award / Honor Recipient: “Thank a Teacher” Certificate, Student-Nominated Recognition Award, Georgia Institute of Technology. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: International James Joyce Foundation Fellowship, International James Joyce Foundation. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Nicholson Graduate Fellowship, Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory. 2013
- Award / Honor Nominee: Undergraduate Rhetoric Program Award for Excellence in Writing Instruction, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. 2011
Selected Service Activities
Sophomore Literature Committee
Rhodes Prize for Books on Literature Committee, American Conference for Irish Studies
Breac: A Digital Journal of Irish Studies
World Englishes Committee, Georgia Institute of Technology