Faculty Profile for Dr. Adam David Vaughan
Biography and Education2017 – 2018, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Opiate Use Disorder Policy, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, Vancouver, British Columbia
2009 – 2017, Ph.D. (Criminology), School of Criminology, Simon Fraser University
2007 – 2009, M.A. (Justice Studies), Department of Justice Studies, University of Regina
2005 – 2007, B.A. (Criminology & Contemporary Studies), Wilfrid Laurier University
2001 – 2005, B.Sc. (Psychology), Wilfrid Laurier University
Teaching InterestsThe Criminal Justice System; Policing; Research Methods
Research InterestsPolicing; mental health and the criminal justice system; epidemiology; environmental criminology; resilience; traumatology; victimology; big data analysis; systems analysis; psychiatric emergency medicine.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Vaughan, A. D. (n.d.). Improving estimates of the quantity and quality of persons involved the opioid crisis. In Geographies of Behavioural Health, Crime, and Disorder. Springer.
- Anderson, G., Lippel, K., Di Nota, P., Stoliker, B., & Dragatsi, H. (2019). Workers Compensation Presumptive Legislation for Public Safety Personnel. (A. D. Vaughan, Ed.). New Westminster, BC, Canada: Justice Institute of British Columbia.
- Vaughan, A. D., Hewitt, A., Hodgkinson, T., Andresen, M., & Verdun-Jones, S. (2019). Temporal patterns of Mental Health Act calls to the police. Policing: A Journal of Policy and Practice, 13(2), 172–185. https://doi.org/10.1093/police/pay060
- Vaughan, A. D., Hewitt, A., Andresen, M., Verdun-Jones, S., & Brantingham, P. (2019). The importance of gender in the spatial distribution of police interactions involving emotionally disturbed persons: An examination of call types. Police and Society, 29(2), 137–154. https://doi.org/10.1080/10439463.2017.1373110
- Carleton, N., Afifi, T., Turner, S., Taillieu, T., Vaughan, A. D., Anderson, G., … Camp, R. (n.d.). Mental Health Training, Attitudes Towards Support, and Screening Positive for Mental Disorders. Cognitive Behavior Therapy. https://doi.org/10.1080/16506073.2019.1575900
- Award / Honor Recipient: Researcher of the Year, Justice Institute of BC. September 1, 2017 - September 1, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Canada Graduate Scholarship-Master's Program, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. January 1, 2007 - September 1, 2007
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Lippel, Katherine (Co-Principal), Vaughan, Adam David (Co-Principal), Carleton, Nick (Supporting), Ricciardelli, Rose, Lee, Vivien (Supporting). Examining Initial Impacts and Return-to-Work Outcomes of Presumptive Legislation in Ontario, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), State, $309697. (Submitted: February 14, 2019, Funded: September 1, 2019 - September 1, 2020). Grant.
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Carleton, Nick (Co-Principal), Ricciardelli, Rosemary (Co-Principal), Vaughan, Adam David (Co-Principal), Groll, Dianne (Co-Principal). Preventing psychological injury after exposure to a work-related traumatic event or stressor, State, $90635. (Submitted: December 28, 2018, Funded: July 1, 2019 - January 1, 2020). Grant.
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Lee, Vivien (Other), Ricciardelli, Rose (Co-Principal), Norris, Deborah (Co-Principal), Cramm, Heidi (Co-Principal), Vaughan, Adam David (Supporting). Three Pillars of Resilience Program for Public Safety Personnel, CIHR-Institute of Neurosciences Mental Health and Addiction, Federal, $30000. (Submitted: March 18, 2019, Funded: June 25, 2019 - October 31, 2019). Grant.
- Vaughan, Adam David (Principal). An exploration of the spatiotemporal profile of high-risk persons with severe mental illness through emergency responder data, Research Enhancement Program (REP), Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 17, 2018, Funded: January 1, 2019 - August 15, 2020). Grant.
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Carleton, Nick (Supporting), Groll, Dianne (Supporting), Vaughan, Adam David (Supporting), Stamatakis, Tom (Supporting). Development and validation of a mental health screening tool for public safety professionals, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Federal, $127664. (Submitted: September 25, 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
MSCJ Research Committee
September 1, 2018-Present
Academic Computing Committee
September 1, 2019-September 1, 2021
Reviewer / Referee
Symposium on Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
June 1, 2019-December 1, 2019
Reviewer / Referee
July 16, 2019-July 17, 2019
Reviewer / Referee
Victims and Offenders
July 2, 2019-July 3, 2019