Faculty Profile for Dr. Adam David Vaughan
Biography and Education2017 – 2018, Post-Doctoral Fellow, Opiate Use Disorder Policy, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, Vancouver, British Columbia
2009 – 2017, Ph.D. (Criminology), School of Criminology, Simon Fraser University
2007 – 2009, M.A. (Justice Studies), Department of Justice Studies, University of Regina
2005 – 2007, B.A. (Criminology & Contemporary Studies), Wilfrid Laurier University
2001 – 2005, B.Sc. (Psychology), Wilfrid Laurier University
Teaching InterestsThe Criminal Justice System; Policing; Research Methods
Research InterestsPolicing; mental health and the criminal justice system; epidemiology; environmental criminology; resilience; traumatology; victimology; big data analysis; systems analysis; psychiatric emergency medicine.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Jones, A. M., Vaughan, A. D., Roche, S. P., & Hewitt, A. N. (2021). Policing Persons in Behavioral Crises: An Experimental Test of Bystander Perceptions of Procedural Justice. Journal of Experimental Criminology. https://doi.org/10.1007%2Fs11292-021-09462-1
- Huey, L., Ferguson, L., & Vaughan, A. D. (2021). The Limits of Our Knowledge: Tracking the Size and Scope of Police Involvement with Persons with Mental Illness. Facets.
- Di Nota, P., Stoliker, B., Vaughan, A. D., Anderson, G., & Anderson, J. (2021). Stress and memory: A systematic state-of-the-art review with evidence-gathering recommendations for police. Police Practice and Research: An International Journal. https://doi.org/10.1108/PIJPSM-06-2020-0093
- Vaughan, A. D., Hart, T., Hewitt, A., & Felson, M. (n.d.). The promise and challenge of time-based crime rates: A comparison of the United States, Canada, and Australia. European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10610-020-09461-4
- Vaughan, A. D., Stoliker, B., & Anderson, G. (2020). Building personal resilience in Primary Care Paramedic students and subsequent skill decay. Australasian Journal of Paramedicine, 17(1). https://doi.org/10.33151/ajp.17.803
- Award / Honor Recipient: Researcher of the Year, Justice Institute of BC. September 1, 2017 - September 1, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Sage Junior Faculty Professional Development Teaching Award, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences. March 24, 2020 - March 25, 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Canada Graduate Scholarship-Master's Program, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada. January 1, 2007 - September 1, 2007
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Lippel, Katherine (Co-Principal), Vaughan, Adam David (Co-Principal), Carleton, Nick (Supporting), Ricciardelli, Rose, Lee, Vivien (Supporting). Examining Initial Impacts and Return-to-Work Outcomes of Presumptive Legislation in Ontario, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), State, $309697. (Submitted: February 14, 2019, Funded: September 1, 2019 - September 1, 2020). Grant.
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Carleton, Nick (Co-Principal), Ricciardelli, Rosemary (Co-Principal), Vaughan, Adam David (Co-Principal), Groll, Dianne (Co-Principal). Preventing psychological injury after exposure to a work-related traumatic event or stressor, Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), State, $90635. (Submitted: December 28, 2018, Funded: July 1, 2019 - January 1, 2020). Grant.
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Lee, Vivien (Other), Ricciardelli, Rose (Co-Principal), Norris, Deborah (Co-Principal), Cramm, Heidi (Co-Principal), Vaughan, Adam David (Supporting). Three Pillars of Resilience Program for Public Safety Personnel, CIHR-Institute of Neurosciences Mental Health and Addiction, Federal, $30000. (Submitted: March 18, 2019, Funded: June 25, 2019 - October 31, 2019). Grant.
- Vaughan, Adam David (Principal). An exploration of the spatiotemporal profile of high-risk persons with severe mental illness through emergency responder data, Research Enhancement Program (REP), Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 17, 2018, Funded: January 1, 2019 - August 15, 2020). Grant.
- Anderson, Greg (Principal), Carleton, Nick (Supporting), Groll, Dianne (Supporting), Vaughan, Adam David (Supporting), Stamatakis, Tom (Supporting). Development and validation of a mental health screening tool for public safety professionals, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Federal, $127664. (Submitted: September 25, 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Doctoral Admissions Committee
August 15, 2020-Present
MSCJ Research Committee
September 1, 2018-Present
Academic Computing Committee
September 1, 2019-September 1, 2021
Reviewer / Referee
July 15, 2020-August 1, 2020
Reviewer / Referee
International Journal of Police Science and Management
March 1, 2020-March 31, 2020