Faculty Profile for Dr. Amy Weimer
Biography and EducationAmy A. Weimer, PhD., Professor of Family & Child Studies, specializes in investigating social, family, and cultural factors that affect cognitive and academic development in diverse learners. She is passionate about coordinating teams of undergraduate/graduate student researchers focused on understanding the many variables and processes that promote successful outcomes in bilingual children and families in the community.
Teaching InterestsChild Development / Developmental Psychology
Social Cognitive Development
Sociocultural Influences in Learning
Research InterestsSociocultural and linguistic factors that affect cognitive, social, and emotional development across the lifespan
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Alfaro, E. C., Weimer, A. A., & Castillo, E. (2018). Who helps build Mexican-origin college students’ self-efficacy? The role of important others in student success. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, 40(4), 431–447. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739986318802588
- Weimer, A. A., Gil, M., & Esquierdo, J. (2018). Understanding Diverse Bilingual Learners: The Need for a Transdisciplinary Lens. In Handbook of Research on Engaging Immigrant Families and Promoting Academic Success for English Language Learner. United States of America: IGI Global Publication.
- Weimer, A. A., Stephens, I., & Esquierdo, J. (n.d.). Spanish and English- Speaking Bilingual Learners’ Experiences in the Home, School, and Community. Journal of Bilingual Education Research and Instruction, 19(2).
- Gasquoine, P. G., Weimer, A. A., & Orta, M. (n.d.). Specificity rates for non-clinical, bilingual, Mexican Americans with California Verbal Learning Test3, Verbal Fluency, and Rey 15-IR Performance Validity Measures. The Clinical Neuropsychologist. https://doi.org/10.1080/13854046.2018.1530374
- Weimer, A. A., Burleson, C., Stegall, S., & Russell, E. (n.d.). Theory of mind and social competence among school-age Latino children. Early Child Development and Care. https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2018.1499625
- Esquierdo, Jennifer, Alvarez Martinez, Stephanie, Weimer, Amy Ann. CRESS: Culturally Relevant Education through Social Studies, Humanities Texas, State, $10000. (Funded: 2017). Grant.
- Davis, Virginia, Weimer, Amy Ann. BEAM (Bilingual Education through Arts and Music): The Effect of an Arts Infusion Program on Bilingual Students’ Language Comprehension, Aural Discrimination, and Spatial Reasoning Skills, Office of Research and Sponsored Projects, Institutional (Higher Ed), $20000. (Funded: January 2017 - May 2018). Grant.
- Cavazos, Alyssa (Principal), Esquierdo, Jennifer (Co-Principal), Garcia de Mueller, Genevieve (Co-Principal), Guajardo, Francisco (Co-Principal), Weimer, Amy Ann (Co-Principal). Biliterate/Multiliterate Writing Practices in Academic and Community Discourses, Office of Research, Innovation, & Economic Development, Institutional (Higher Ed), $16700. (Submitted: November 21, 2016, Funded: January 2017 - May 2018). Grant.
- Croyle, Kristin (Principal), Charlton, Jonikka (Co-Principal), Weimer, Amy Ann (Co-Principal). Improving Hispanic Student Success through Experiential Learning, U.S. Dept of Education, Federal, $3061967.00. (Funded: 2013 - 2019). Grant.
- Trant, John (Other), Rampersad-Ammons, Joanne (Co-Principal), Dearth, Robert (Co-Principal), Terry, Matthew (Co-Principal), Ahmad, Hassan (Supporting), Carlson, Ralph (Supporting), Zeng, Liang (Supporting), Wrinkle, Robert (Supporting), Ammons, David (Supporting), Ernst, Frederick (Supporting), Weimer, Amy Ann (Supporting), Tomai, Emmett (Supporting), Chebotko, Artem (Supporting), Reilly, Christine (Supporting), Tidrow, Steven (Supporting), Lavariega-Monforti, Jessica (Other), Schembri, Sharon (Supporting), Saavedra, Dora (Supporting), Pearson, Thomas (Supporting), Aldridge, James (Supporting). UTPA/UTRGV HHMI Leaders in Research Program, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $1200000. (Funded: September 1, 2012 - August 31, 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Hernandez Elementary School
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of the Cognitive Development Society
Reviewer / Referee
The American Biology Teacher
Reviewer / Referee
Early Childhood Research Quarterly
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Bilingual Education Research & Instruction