Faculty Profile for Dr. Kathy Smith
Biography and EducationDr. Kathy Smith earned her Bachelor of Science in Nursing from New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, New Mexico and her Master of Science in Nursing and a Post Master’s Certificate from Texas Tech University Health Science Center in Lubbock, Texas. She earned a Doctor of Education in Leadership Administration in Higher Education from the University of Mary Hardin Baylor in Belton, Texas. Dr. Smith is ANCC board certified as both an Acute Care and Family Nurse Practitioner. Dr. Smith brings over 13 years’ experience in nursing education in roles as a faculty member and academic administrator at various institutions in Texas. Dr. Smith’s nursing experience includes rural health, medical-surgical, ICU, and home-health/hospice nursing. As an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) she has practiced in integrated medicine, primary care, internal medicine, occupational medicine, and university school based settings. Her current professional memberships include the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, Texas Nurse Practitioners, American Nurses Association, Texas Nurses Association, and Kappa Delta Pi.
Teaching InterestsLeadership, Role Development, Health Policy, and Nurse Practitioner Courses
Research InterestsMost recent research explored relationships between academic nursing deans’ and directors’ perceptions of organizational support. Other research interests and activities include nursing faculty workloads, role stressors for nursing directors, spirituality support in healthcare in the LGBTQI community, multimodality pain management in adults, and cardio-metabolic syndrome in women.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Erbin-Roesemann, M. A., & Smith, K. S. (2020). Texas Board of Nursing Annual NEPIS Report. Texas Board of Nursing.
- Erbin-Roesemann, M. A., & Smith, K. S. (2020). Master of Science in Nursing Programs CCNE Self-Study Report. In Standard IV.
- Smith, K. S. (2017). Academic incivility: Are we role modeling nurses to eat their young?
- Smith, K. S. (2017). Filling a void: An examination of nursing deans’ and directors’ perceptions of organizational support. University of Mary Hardin Baylor.
- Smith, K. S. (2015). Stratosphere: Integrating technology, pedagogy, and change knowledge [Review of Stratosphere, by M. Fullan]. Radical Pedagogy. Retrieved from http://www.radicalpedagogy.org/radicalpedagogy.org/Stratosphere__Integrating_Technology,_Pedagogy,_and_Change_Knowledge.html
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Dissertation "Best in Class", UMHB-College of Education. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: International Europe Fellowship Seminar, Education & Administration-Summer Institute UMHB (Netherlands, France, Germany). 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: National Fellowship Seminar, Education & Administration-Summer Institute UMHB (Washington, D.C.). 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Kappa Delta PI Honor Society, KDP. 2014
- Award / Honor Nominee: Avery Award for Faculty, TSTC. 2011
- Smith, Kathryn Sue. CVS Health Foundation Grant, CVS Health Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $5000. (Submitted: October 2020, Funded: December 2020 - April 2021). Grant.
- Smith, Kathryn Sue. CVS Health Foundation Grant, CVS Health Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $5000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: December 2019 - April 2020). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
SON MSN FNP Program Subcommittee
SON MSN PMHNP Program Subcommittee
SON MSN LAN Program Subcommittee
St David's Healthcare Covid 19 Clinic
January 24, 2021-Present
Graduate College-Graduate Advisor Committee (Ad hoc)