Faculty Profile for Dr. Pratheesh Omana Sudhakaran
Biography and EducationPh. D., Environment and Natural Resource Economics, University of Rhode Island
M.S., Aquaculture and Fisheries, University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff
B.S., Fisheries Science, Kerala Agricultural University
Pratheesh Sudhakaran is an applied economist with more than 12 years of experience in academic and industry in the fields of fisheries, aquaculture, natural resources and agriculture. Upon completing his Ph.D., Pratheesh started his teaching career in different educational institutions such as Tarrant County Community College. After working for a year, he joined Texas State University. He began his career in the economics of aquaculture production. During his Ph.D. he worked on different research projects on consumer behavior on food and natural resource management issues. His Ph.D. dissertation was selected as the Best Dissertation by the International Association of Aquaculture Economist (IAAEM) in 2016. One of the studies he conducted for his dissertation was used as a baseline economic study in framing shellfish management plan for the state of Rhode Island.
Some of the Dr. Sudhakaran’s current research interests include aquaculture and fisheries economics, food safety economics, natural resource economics and experimental economics.
Teaching InterestsProduction Economics
Quantitative Methods in Agriculture
Research InterestsAquaculture and Fisheries Economics,
Food safety Economics,
Natural Resource Economics and
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Omana Sudhakaran, P. O., Uchida, H., & Sproul, T. (2014). Demand and Market interaction analysis of Rhode Island wild-caught shellfish. Rhode Island Shellfish Management Plan Economic Scope of Work.
- Omana Sudhakaran, P. O., Roheim, C. A., & Durham, C. A. (2012). Certification of shrimp and salmon for best aquaculture practices: Assessing consumer preferences in RhodeIsland. Aquaculture Economics and Management, 16(3), 266–286.
- Omana Sudhakaran, P. O., Heikes, D., Engle, C., & Pomerleau, S. (2012). Evaluation of a trawl to estimate the inventory of catfish in commercial ponds. Aquacultural Engineering, 48, 47–52.
- Omana Sudhakaran, P. O., Engle, C. R., & Heikes, D. (2012). Evaluation of feed response methods to estimate inventory of catfish in commercial ponds. Journal of Applied Aquaculture, 24(1), 32–41.
- Omana Sudhakaran, P. O., Gorelick, S., Roheim, C. A., & Beutel, D. (2011). Ecolabeling of Seafood from aquaculture: A survey of Rhode Islander Consumer Preferences. URI Sustainable Seafood Initiative.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Dissertation Award, International Association of Aquaculture Economists. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Mention, MS Thesis Award, International Association of Aquaculture Economists. 2011
Selected Service Activities
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board's Field of Study Advisory Committee for Agribusiness and Management
January 1, 2019-Present
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Agribusiness in Developing and Emerging Economies
Graduate Thesis Committee
Graduate Thesis Committee
Graduate Student Thesis Committee