Faculty Profile for Dr. De De Gardner Gardner
Biography and EducationDe De Gardner is an Associate Professor on tenure track at Texas State University in the College of Health Professions and the Department of Respiratory Care. Dr. Gardner earned her doctorate in public health with a focus on management, policy and community health practice (MPACH) from the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Dr. Gardner is known for her leadership in respiratory care education, scholarship and service to the profession of respiratory care and cardiopulmonary medicine. Dr. Gardner was the inaugural Chair of the Department of Health Sciences at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UTHealth). In addition, she and her team developed the first entry level Master of Science in Respiratory Care (MSRC) program in Texas. Dr. Gardner created and implemented the online RRT to BSRC program, and the online RRT with Bachelor degree to MSRC program at UT Health. While under her leadership, the MSRC program was awarded a 10 year accreditation accommodation by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) and the newly developed BSRC program was awarded provisional accreditation.
Dr. Gardner's clinical practice has focused on Disease Management of patients across the lifespan. This includes caring for patients in the neonatal, pediatric and adult intensive care areas, and outpatient respiratory therapy of patients who suffer from asthma and ALS. Disease management is a strategy for delivering care to a large group of individuals to improve outcomes and decrease costs. This practice encompasses a population-based approach to identify people at risk, intervene with specific programs of care and then measure clinical and other outcomes. Disease management programs comprise of four essential elements: 1. integrated health care system that provides coordinated patient centered care. 2. comprehensive knowledge base regarding the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease. 3. sophisticated clinical and administrative information systems that can assess patterns of clinical practice and 4. commitment to continuous quality improvement.
Because of teaching in respiratory care programs part of her research agenda has focused on disease management best practices for current and future clinicians and patients. Best practice encompass implementation science, program development and evaluation.
Dr. Gardner holds the registered respiratory therapy (RRT) and the neonatal-pediatric specialty (NPS) credentials. She has been recognized by two professional organizations for her leadership in cardiopulmonary medicine. First, she was inducted as a Fellow in the American Association for Respiratory Care (FAARC) and second, she was one of the first four Allied Health Fellows inducted into the American College of Chest Physicians (FCCP). Dr. Gardner is also a Texas State University Distinguished Alumni. In 2018, Dr. Gardner was recognized as the Texas Society for Respiratory Care Educator of the Year. She was also awarded the Mike West Patient Education Achievement Award for her dedication to patient education for patients with asthma and ALS and educating future healthcare providers.
Teaching InterestsDisease Management, Clinical Practice Guideline Development, Patient Education, Leadership-Management
Research InterestsDisease Management
Patient and Clinician Program Development, Implementation and Evaluation
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Gardner, D. D. (n.d.). Infection Control. In Respiratory Care Principles and Practice 4th edition. Burlington, MA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Gardner, D. D. (n.d.). Patient Education and Health Promotion. In Egan’s Fundamentals of Respiratory Care. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Vines, D., & Gardner, D. D. (n.d.). Airway Clearance Therapies. In Egans Fundamentals of Respiratory Care. St. Louis, MO: Elsivier.
- Gardner, D. D. (2019). Linz’s Comprehensive Respiratory Diseases. Burlington, MA, USA: Jones and Bartlett.
- Gardner, D. D., Restrepo, R., Wettstein, R., & Hart, M. (2018). The Use of Standardized Patients for Pre Clinical Evaluation. Respiratory Care Education Annual, 27, 42.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Mike West Patient Education Achievement Award, American Respiratory Care Foundation. December 4, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas Society for Respiratory Care Practitioner of the Year in Education 2018, Texas Society for Respiratory Care. June 11, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Respiratory Care Network Steering Committee Service Award, American College of Physicians. October 2016 - October 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Chest Foundation Service Award, Chest Foundation. October 2012 - October 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Faculty of the Year Award from the Class of 2016. May 2016
- Raley, J (Principal), Kim, Eun Hae (Co-Principal), Gardner, Donna Dlaine (Co-Principal), Benavente, Viola G. Preventing Hospital Readmission for Older Adults: A Community-focused Intervention., Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, Texas State University, Texas State University, $23824.50. (Submitted: April 2018). Grant.
- Polanco, Krytal. Urban Surge Free Clinic Asthma Education Program, Center for Humanities and Ethics, University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio - Center for Humanities and Ethics, $1500. (Funded: 2016 - 2017). Grant.
- Gardner, Donna Dlaine (Co-Principal). Asthma Activity Movement Project, Center for Ethics and Humanities, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2000. (Funded: October 2013 - April 2014). Grant.
- Gardner, Donna Dlaine (Principal). Investing in IAQ Champions to Bridge the IAQ Healthcare Gap, Environmental Protection Agency, Federal, $44500. (Funded: January 2013 - August 2014). Grant.
- Gardner, Donna Dlaine (Principal). Respiratory Care Faculty as Agents of Change: Investing in IAQ Champions, Environmental Protection Agency, Federal, $54940. (Funded: October 2012 - September 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Scholarship Committee -Texas State University
Department of Health Sciences - University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio
September 2016-August 2017
American College of Chest Physicians "Asthma Expert Panel"
March 1, 2019-Present
Reviewer / Referee
American College of Chest Physicians -CHEST 2019 Proposal Reviewer
January 10, 2019-Present
Marketing Campaign Coordinator
Marketing campaign for the RRT - BSRC and MSRC Online Programs
November 1, 2018-Present