Faculty Profile for Dr. Mark A Wistey
Biography and EducationMark A. Wistey (M'04) received the B.S. degree in electrical engineering from Montana State University, Bozeman, in 1995, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Stanford University in 2000 and 2005, respectively.
In 2005, he was a visiting scholar at Stanford University. In 2006, he served as a Postdoctoral Research Associate at Arizona State University, Tempe. From 2007 to 2009, he was a Postdoctoral Research Scholar at the University of California, Santa Barbara. From 2009 to 2017, he was an Assistant Professor with the Electrical Engineering Department, University of Notre Dame, Indiana. Since 2017, he has been an Associate Professor with the Physics Department, Texas State University. He is author or coauthor of two book chapters, more than 87 articles, and one patent.
Teaching InterestsEngaging and effective mentoring, guiding, and teaching at all levels, from K-12 and public outreach to guiding postdoctoral researchers to exceptional careers.
Research InterestsSilicon photonics and integrated optoelectronics, high efficiency solar cells, heterogeneous materials integration with conventional electronics, molecular beam epitaxy, chemical vapor deposition, high speed electronic devices, and devices and materials for renewable energy.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Qi, M., O’Brien, W. A., Stephenson, C. A., Patel, V., Cao, N., Thibeault, B. J., … Wistey, M. A. (2017). Extended Defect Propagation in Highly Tensile-Strained Ge Waveguides. Crystals, 7(6), 157. https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst7060157
- Stephenson, C. A., Gillett-Kunnath, M., O’Brien, W. A., Kudrawiec, R., & Wistey, M. A. (2016). Gas Source Techniques for Molecular Beam Epitaxy of Highly Mismatched Ge Alloys. Crystals, 6(12), 159. https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst6120159
- Kudrawiec, R., Polak, M. P., McNicholas, K. M., Kopaczek, J., Wistey, M. A., & Bank, S. R. (2020). Bowing of the band gap and spin-orbit splitting energy in BGaAs. Materials Research Express, 6(12). https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab62e9
- Gulyas, I., Kudrawiec, R., & Wistey, M. A. (2019). Electronic structure of BxGa1-xAs alloys using hybrid functionals. Journal of Applied Physics, 126(9). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5111992
- Stephenson, C. A., O’Brien, W. A., Qi, M., Penninger, M., Schneider, W. F., & Wistey, M. A. (n.d.). Band Anticrossing in Dilute Germanium Carbides Using Hybrid Functionals. J. Electronic Materials, 45(4), 2121–2126. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11664-015-4300-9
- Award / Honor Recipient: Advisor of the Best Student Manuscript Award, Electronic Materials Conference. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Teacher Award, Department of Electrical Engineering. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: UCSB Materials Research Lab ScienceLine Award for K-12 Outreach. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: UCSB Materials Research Lab ScienceLine Award for K-12 Outreach. 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: Ross N. Tucker Award (IEEE/TMS) for Advancement in Semiconductor Materials. 2004
- Wistey, Mark A (Principal). Core-shell Upconverting Nanostructures (CSUNs) for Photovoltaics, National Science Foundation, Federal, $142381. (Funded: July 1, 2017 - August 31, 2018). Grant.
- Wistey, Mark A (Principal). SusChEM: Direct Bandgap Ge:C on Silicon for Optoelectronics, National Science Foundation, Federal, $243170. (Funded: July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2018). Grant.
- Wistey, Mark A (Principal). Core-shell Upconverting Nanostructures (CSUNs) for Photovoltaics, National Science Foundation, Federal, $223484. (Funded: September 1, 2014 - June 30, 2017). Grant.
- Wistey, Mark A (Principal), Patel, Victor (Supporting). The Patrick and Jana Eilers Graduate Student Fellowship for Energy Related Research, $13699.84. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Wistey, Mark A, Chen, Yihong (Co-Principal), Weigum, Shannon E, Benavides, Elizabeth Ashley, Ngu, Hee Hiong, Irvin, Jennifer A, Betancourt, Tania, Holtz, Mark W. FEES and Machine Learning for Diagnostics, Texas State University, Texas State University, $10000. (Funded: March 2019 - March 2020). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
COSE Undergraduate College Level Scholarship Committee
October 31, 2019-Present
Department Undergraduate Scholarship Committee
October 31, 2019-Present
Materials Science, Engineering, and Commercialization (MSEC) admissions committee
Graduate research advisor
August 10, 2017-Present
Coordinator / Organizer
Electronic Materials Conference (EMC)