Faculty Profile for Dr. Louie Dean Valencia
Biography and EducationDr. Louie Dean Valencia-García is an Assistant Professor of Digital History at Texas State University and a Senior Fellow at the Centre for the Analysis of the Radical Right. Before joining the Department of History, he was a Lecturer on History and Literature at Harvard University. He has served as a Research Editor for EuropeNow, the monthly journal of Council for European Studies at Columbia University, and founding co-chair of the CES' Critical Research Network. He has curated and contributed to multiple exhibitions at the Museum of the City of New York, and has presented and published his work internationally to academic and public audiences. His first book, Antiauthoritarian Youth Culture in Francoist Spain: Clashing with Fascism was published Bloomsbury Academic in 2018. He is the editor of the volume, Far-Right Revisionism and the End of History: Alt/Histories (Routledge, 2020), which explores the ways contemporary far-right movements have used history to legitimate themselves. He co-edited Imagining, Thinking, and Teaching Europe (2020), a special issue of EuropeNow, the journal of the council for European Studies at Columbia University. His current research focuses on HIV/AIDS in Europe during the first two decades of the crisis through the lenses of healthcare policy, community organizing, technological innovation and information distribution, and scientific research.
Dr. Valencia-García has held fellowships from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the United States Library of Congress, and the Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory. He has received grants from the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, the Center for European Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, and Santander Universities, amongst others. He is a member of the Scientific and Editorial Committee for the Archivo de la Frontera, a UNESCO digital project of the Centro Europeo de la Difisión de las Ciencias Sociales at the Universidad de Alcalá in Spain. Dr. Valencia-García has also served as a Director of Aspects of Leadership at the LEDA Summer Institute at Princeton University, a fully-funded seven-week program that invites one hundred high-achieving high school seniors from across the United States from lower-socioeconomic backgrounds applying to selective universities. In 2017, 70% of the cohort was admitted to at least one Ivy League school, MIT, or Stanford University. 97% was admitted to at least one Most Competitive school.
He teaches classes on Digital History, Western Civilization, Post-1950 Europe, International Studies, Spanish History, the Spanish Civil War, and Queer History. He received his A.M. and Ph.D. in Early and Late Modern European History from Fordham University in New York City, and graduated with a B.A.I.S. in European Studies and B.A. in Spanish in the Honors College at Texas State University.
Dr. Valencia-García has been featured in VICE/Broadly, Al-Jazeera, Mic, The Christian Science Monitor, Technology Tell, The Comics Bulletin, San Antonio Express News, IstoÉ, MSNBC, El Periódico, The New York Times, Crave, National Catholic Reporter, AintItCool, The Comics Alternative, and New York 1, amongst others.
Teaching InterestsDigital history;
Research InterestsTechnology/Information creation and distribution;
Democracy and the Public Sphere;
Gender, Sexuality, and Queer Studies;
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Valencia, L. D. (2021). “This is American fascism.” Open Democracy. London, United Kingdom: Open Democracy/Centre for the Analysis of the Radical Right. Retrieved from https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/countering-radical-right/american-fascism/
- Valencia, L. D. (2020). “Pluralism at the Twilight of Franco’s Spain: Antifascist Practice and Methodologies.” Fascism: Journal of Comparative Fascist Studies. https://doi.org/10.1163/22116257-09010001
- Valencia, L. D. (2020). “Tintin in the Movida Madrileña: Race and Gender in the Madrid Comic Book Zine Scene.” In A. Magnussen (Ed.), Spanish Comics: Historical and Cultural Perspectives. Berghahn Press. https://doi.org/10.3167/eca.2018.110202
- Valencia, L. D. (2020). Imagining Europe, Citizenship, and Research in the Time of HIV/AIDS. EuropeNow, (Summer). Retrieved from https://www.europenowjournal.org/2020/06/02/imagining-europe-citizenship-and-scholarship-in-the-time-of-hiv-aids/
- Valencia, L. D. (2020). “Amid COVID-19, Trump Attempts To Rewrite History.” Rantt. Washington D.C.: Rantt Media. Retrieved from https://rantt.com/harry-styles-taylor-swift-combat-the-radical-right
- Award / Honor Recipient: Foundations of Excellence Award, Texas State University Student Foundation. October 17, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Golden Apple Award for Teaching, Texas State University College of Liberal Arts. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Teaching, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chi. 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Council for European Studies 2018-2020 Book Award, Council for European Studies. 2020
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole (Principal), Sarmiento, Eric Ryan (Co-Principal), Rayburn, Steven W (Co-Principal), Myles, Colleen Crystal (Co-Principal), Davio, Rebecca Lynn (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Supporting), Guajardo, Miguel (Supporting), Valencia, Louie Dean (Supporting), Valle, Rosina Ruiz (Supporting). 03i.#ReclaimDunbar: A community needs assessment for the Dunbar arts, cultural and innovation district, Multidisciplinary Team Formation (MTI) Grant, Texas State University, Texas State University, $1000. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Acción Cultural Española Cultural Programming Grant. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Center for European Studies Faculty Research Grant, University of Texas at Austin, Federal, $1000. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Research Aide Funding, Harvard University. (Funded: 2017). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Research Aide Funding, Harvard University. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Centre for Analysis of Radical Right
October 26, 2018-Present
European History Committee
Public History Committee
August 25, 2017-Present
Scientific and Editorial Committee Member
Archivo de la Frontera (Centro Europeo para la Difusión de las Ciencias Sociales)
Critical European Studies Research Network (Council for European Studies at Columbia University)
June 2019-July 2021