Faculty Profile for Dr. Louie Dean Valencia
Biography and EducationDr. Louie Dean Valencia-García is an Assistant Professor of Digital History at Texas State University and a Senior Fellow at the Centre for the Analysis of the Radical Right. Before joining the Department of History, he was a Lecturer on History and Literature at Harvard University. He is a Research Editor for EuropeNow, the monthly journal of Council for European Studies at Columbia University. He has curated and contributed to multiple exhibitions at the Museum of the City of New York, and has presented and published his work internationally to academic and public audiences. His first book, Antiauthoritarian Youth Culture in Francoist Spain: Clashing with Fascism was published Bloomsbury Academic in 2018. He is the editor of the forthcoming volume, Far-Right Revisionism and the End of History: Alt/Histories, which explores the ways contemporary far-right movements have used history to legitimate themselves, under contract with Routledge. His current research focuses on HIV/AIDS in Europe during the first two decades of the crisis through the lenses of healthcare policy, community organizing, technological innovation and information distribution, and scientific research.
Dr. Valencia-García has held fellowships from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the United States Library of Congress, and the Humanities, Arts, Science and Technology Alliance and Collaboratory. He has received grants from the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport, the Center for European Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, and Santander Universities, amongst others. He is a member of the Scientific and Editorial Committee for the Archivo de la Frontera, a UNESCO digital project of the Centro Europeo de la Difisión de las Ciencias Sociales at the Universidad de Alcalá in Spain. Dr. Valencia-García has also served as a Director of Aspects of Leadership at the LEDA Summer Institute at Princeton University, a fully-funded seven-week program that invites one hundred high-achieving high school seniors from across the United States from lower-socioeconomic backgrounds applying to selective universities. In 2017, 70% of the cohort was admitted to at least one Ivy League school, MIT, or Stanford University. 97% was admitted to at least one Most Competitive school.
He teaches classes on Digital History, Western Civilization, Post-1950 Europe, International Studies, Spanish History, the Spanish Civil War, and Queer History. He received his A.M. and Ph.D. in Early and Late Modern European History from Fordham University in New York City, and graduated with a B.A.I.S. in European Studies and B.A. in Spanish in the Honors College at Texas State University.
Dr. Valencia-García has been featured in VICE/Broadly, Al-Jazeera, Mic, The Christian Science Monitor, Technology Tell, The Comics Bulletin, San Antonio Express News, IstoÉ, MSNBC, El Periódico, The New York Times, Crave, National Catholic Reporter, AintItCool, The Comics Alternative, and New York 1, amongst others.
Teaching InterestsDigital history;
Research InterestsTechnology/Information creation and distribution;
Democracy and the Public Sphere;
Gender, Sexuality, and Queer Studies;
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Valencia, L. D. (n.d.). "Pluralism at the Twilight of Franco’s Spain: Antifascist Practice and Methodologies". Fascism: Journal of Comparative Fascist Studies.
- Valencia, L. D. (2019). Is He a Fascist? The Election of Jair Bolsonaro. In Tracking the Rise of the Radical Right Globally. Stuttgart, Germany: ibidem-Verlag Press/Columbia University Press. Retrieved from https://cup.columbia.edu/book/tracking-the-rise-of-the-radical-right-globally/9783838213262
- Valencia, L. D. (2019, July 23). The ups and downs and clashes of Western civilization. Open Democracy. Retrieved from https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/countering-radical-right/ups-and-downs-and-clashes-western-civilization/
- Valencia, L. D. (2019, June 18). Trump and The Global Resurgence of Fascism. Rantt Media. Retrieved from https://rantt.com/trump-and-the-global-resurgence-of-fascism/
- Valencia, L. D. (n.d.). Locating Dictatorship in the Anthropocene: Historiographic Trends in the History of Science and Technology and the Study of European Authoritarianism. Contemporary European History.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Foundations of Excellence Award, Texas State University Student Foundation. October 17, 2018
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Acción Cultural Española Cultural Programming Grant. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Center for European Studies Faculty Research Grant, University of Texas at Austin, Federal. (Funded: 2018). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Research Aide Funding, Harvard University. (Funded: 2017). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Research Aide Funding, Harvard University. (Funded: 2016). Grant.
- Valencia, Louie Dean. Fordham Travel Grant to attend 2014 Digital Humanities Conference, Université de Lausanne/École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Critical European Studies Research Network (Council for European Studies at Columbia University)
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Spanish Cultural Studies
Centre for Analysis of Radical Right
October 26, 2018-Present
European History Committee
Public History Committee
August 25, 2017-Present