Faculty Profile for Dr. Hwa Young Lee
Research InterestsBroadly speaking, my research focuses on students’ mathematical thinking in the areas of geometry and algebra. Specifically, my current research interest involves investigating students’ constructions and use of coordinate systems in their spatial and quantitative reasoning.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Lee, H. Y., Hardison, H. L., Kandasamy, S. S. S., & Guajardo, L. R. (2020). Establishing a Cartesian coordination in the ant farm task: A case of Ginny. In Proceedings of the 42th annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (pp. 931–939). Mazatlan, Mexico.
- Lee, H. Y., & Guajardo, L. R. (2020). An analysis of coordinate systems presented in grade 6-8 textbooks. In Proceedings of the 42th annual meeting of the North American Chapter of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (pp. 423–428). Mazatlan, Mexico.
- Paoletti, T., Lee, H. Y., Rahman, Z., Vishnubhotla, M., & Basu, D. (2020). Comparing graphical representations in mathematics, science, and engineering textbooks and practitioner journals. International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1080/0020739X.2020.1847336
- Lee, H. Y. (2020). Tell me where they are. Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching Pre-K-12, 113(11), e78–e84. https://doi.org/10.5951/MTLT.2019.0125
- Lee, H. Y., Hardison, H. L., & Paoletti, T. (2020). Foregrounding the Background: Two Uses of Coordinate Systems. For the Learning of Mathematics, 40(2), 32–37.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Research Award (assistant professor, senior lecturer, & lecturer level), Department of Mathematics. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Award of Honor, The Texas State Alumni Association. May 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Teaching Award (Assistant Professor Level), Department of Mathematics. December 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Office of Instruction, University of Georgia. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Excellence in Graduate Research Award, Psychology of Mathematics Education, North American Chapter. November 2017
- Lee, Hwa Young (Principal), Hardison, Hamilton Lee (Supporting). Undergraduate elementary prospective teachers' conceptions of angle measure: A study of an intervention, REP, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2019, Funded: January 2020 - May 31, 2021). Grant.
- Lee, Hwa Young. Constructing spatial coordinate systems: A study of undergraduate elementary pre-service teachers, Texas State University, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 25, 2017, Funded: January 2018 - May 31, 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
September 1, 2018-August 31, 2020
Reviewer / Referee
Cognition and Instruction
Reviewer / Referee
NCTM Mathematics Teacher: Learning and Teaching Pre-K-12
January 10, 2019-Present