Faculty Profile for Dr. Kristen Lew
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Melhuish, K. M., Lew, K. M., Hicks, M., & Kandasamy, S. (2020). Abstract Algebra Students’ Evoked Concept Images for Functions and Homomorphisms . The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 60.
- Lew, K. M., & Mejía-Ramos, J. P. (2020). The linguistic conventions of mathematical proof writing across pedagogical contexts. Educational Studies in Mathematics.
- Mejía-Ramos, J. P., Alcock, L., Lew, K. M., Rago, P., Sangwin, C., & Inglis, M. (2019). Using linguistic corpora to understand mathematical explanation. In Methodological Advances in Experimental Philosophy.
- Weber, K., Lew, K. M., & Mejía-Ramos, J. P. (2019). Using expectancy value theory to account for students’ mathematical justifications. Cognition and Instruction.
- Lew, K. M., & Zazkis, D. (2019). Undergraduate mathematics students’ at-home exploration of a prove-or-disprove task. The Journal of Mathematical Behavior, 54.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Co-Principal), Sigley, Robert (Other), Morey, Susan (Supporting), Dawkins, Paul Christian (Co-Principal), Bishop, Jessica Lynn (Supporting). Orchestrating Discussions Around Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $299847. (Submitted: May 1, 2018, Funded: November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2021). Grant.
- Mejía-Ramos, Juan Pablo (Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Co-Principal), Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Co-Principal), Weber, Keith (Co-Principal), Gitomer, Drew (Co-Principal). Developing and Validating Proof Comprehension Tests in Real Analysis, National Science Foundation, Federal, $600000. (Submitted: December 13, 2017, Funded: October 1, 2018 - September 30, 2021). Grant.
- Lew, Kristen Marie. Mathematicians’ Evaluations of Undergraduate Students’ Proofs, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 25, 2017, Funded: January 2018 - May 2019). Grant.
- Alcock, L. (Principal), Inglis, M. (Co-Principal), Mejía-Ramos, J.P. (Co-Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Other). Understanding Mathematical Language: Construction and Analysis of Expert and Learner Corpora, British Academy/Leverhulme, $3733. (Funded: 2014 - 2016). Grant.
- Mejía- Ramos, J.P. (Principal), Weber, K. (Co-Principal), de la Torre, J. (Co-Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Other). Validating Proof Comprehension Tests in Mathematics, Division of Undergraduate Education, National Science Foundation, $200000. (Funded: 2013 - 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Texas State University, First Gen Proud Committee
Texas State University, Department of Mathematics, Mathematics Education Seminar
Texas State University, Department of Mathematics, Committee on Committees
Reviewer / Referee
ZDM - Mathematics Education
Reviewer / Referee
Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education