Faculty Profile for Susie Bannon
Biography and EducationSusannah (Susie) Bannon is an award-winning teacher, scholar, and public servant. Susie has a BA in Communication Studies (2012) from the University of Houston-Downtown and an MA in Communication Studies (2014) from Texas State University. Her research examines the complex interplay between rhetoric and social justice and has been published in Essays in Virtual Dark Tourism, The St. Louis University Public Law Review, and Captured Words/Free Thoughts.
Teaching InterestsCriticial Pedagogy
Research InterestsRhetorical criticism
Discourses of criminality, punishment, and reentry
Social movements rhetoric
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Bowen, D. I., & Bannon, S. P. (n.d.). Hurricane Katrina goes digital (but not quite viral): Memory, dark tours, and YouTube. In Virtual Dark Tourism: Ghost Roads. London, United Kingdom: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Bannon, S. P. (n.d.). Why do they do it?: Motivations of educators in correctional facilities. St. Louis University Public Law Review, XXXIII(2), 301–315.
- Bannon, S. P. (n.d.). You are not alone. Captured Words/Free Thoughts: Writings and Art From America’s Prisons. Boulder, Colorado, United States: University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Speaker, "Triggered? How Labels Guide Our Interactions". October 21, 2017.
- Award / Honor Recipient: HR1268 Outstanding Contributions to Criminal Justice Reform, Texas House of Representatives, Rep. Alma Allen. April 23, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduate School Professional Development Award, University of Texas at Austin. January 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduate School Professional Development Award, University of Texas at Austin. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Linette Watkins Faculty Award, Texas State University Office of Disability Services. April 19, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduate School Professional Development Award, University of Texas at Austin. August 2016
Selected Service Activities
Advising/mentoring students pursuing graduate school
September 1, 2019-Present
Board of Directors
Formerly Incarcerated College Graduates Network
Promotional Materials Committee
Communicating Injustice: Native American Transgender and Non-Binary Experiences of Discrimination, Violence, and Resistance
September 2020-November 2020
Travis County Sheriff's Office
December 2019-December 2019