Faculty Profile for Dr. Missy Fraser
Biography and EducationDr. Fraser is an Assistant Professor in Athletic Training at Texas State University. She completed her doctoral work in the Human Movement Science Curricula at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2016. While at UNC she studied under Dr. Kevin Guskiewicz, who is a world-renowned concussion researcher and author of the Balance Error Scoring System (BESS). Dr Fraser also was able to train with the team neuropsychologists to improve her application skills and clinical understanding of a plethora of neuropsychological tests. Prior to attending UNC-CH she was the assistant athletic trainer and undergraduate athletic training education director at Texas A&M University-Kingsville for nine years. She has experience working with youth, high school, collegiate, and current and retired professional athletes in clinical and research settings. Dr Fraser’s research interests include emergency care in athletic settings and the associations between sport-related repeated subconcussive and concussive head impacts, neuropsychology, and head impact biomechanics.
Research InterestsEmergency care in athletic settings, sport-related repeated subconcussive and concussive head impacts, neuropsychology, head impact biomechanics.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Fraser, M. A., Grooms, D. R., Guskiewicz, K. M., & Kerr, Z. Y. (2017). Ball Contact Injuries in 11 NCAA Sports: The National Collegiate Athletic Association Injury Surveillance Program, 2009/10-2014/15. Journal of Athletic Training, 52(7), 698–707. https://doi.org/10.4085/1062-6050-52.3.1
- Kerr, Z. Y., Campbell, K. R., Fraser, M. A., Currie, D. W., Pierport, L. A., Kaminski, T. W., & Mihalik, J. P. (2019). Head impact locations in US high school boys’ and girls’ soccer concussions. 2012/13-2015/16. Journal of Neurotrauma, 36(13), 2073–2082. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2017.5319
- Gong, N.-J. J., Kuzminski, S., Clark, M., Fraser, M. A., Sundman, M., Guskiewicz, K., … Liu, C. (2018). Microstructural alterations of cortical and deep gray matter over a season of high school football revealed by diffusion kurtosis imaging. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 119, 79–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nbd.2018.07.020
- Kuzminski, S. J., Clark, M. D., Fraser, M. A., Haswell, C., Morey, R., Liu, C., … Petrella, J. R. (2018). White Matter Changes Related to Subconcussive Impacts Frequency During a Single Season of High School Football. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 39, 245–251. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A5489
- Valovich-McLeod, T. C., Fraser, M. A., & Johnson, R. (2017). Mental Health Outcomes Following Sport-Related Concussion. Athletic Training & Sports Health Care, 9(6), 271–282. https://doi.org/10.3928/19425864-20171010-03
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor of 2019, TXST Alpha Chi Chapter. November 8, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Clint Thompson Award for Clinical Advancement, NATA. June 2007
Selected Service Activities
University Research Enhancement Committee
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Pediatric Intensive Care
November 20, 2017-Present
Concussion Assessment Training with Texas State Staff, GAs and undergraduate students
Reviewer / Referee
International Journal of Athletic Therapy and Training
May 4, 2017-Present
Devise and conduct all concussion rehabilitation plans for concussed TXST athletes.