Faculty Profile for Dr. Shetay Ashford-Hanserd
Biography and EducationDr. Ashford-Hanserd is a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Organization, Workforce, and Leadership Studies at Texas State University where she is responsible for teaching, research, and service. Prior to joining Texas State, Dr. Ashford worked for 13 years in the high technology (i.e., high tech) industry as a Technical Trainer, Consultant, and Global Training Program Manager with Fortune 500 multinational corporations such as General Electric, PricewaterhouseCoopers, and Dell Computers. Additionally, she gained experience as a continuing education and university instructor and a project manager of a longitudinal, mixed-methods research study, which was funded by the National Science Foundation.
Research InterestsDr. Ashford-Hanserd's research agenda is divided into three distinct, yet interrelated, research domains that provide evidence to inform policy and programmatic outcomes for broadening participation of women of color and historically underrepresented minorities in STEEAM+C (science, technology, engineering, entrepreneurship, agriculture, mathematics and computing) pathways.
1. Counter-life stories (e.g., counter-life herstories, counter-life histories)
2. Social value creation (e.g., intrapreneurship and social/educational entrepreneurship), creative placemaking, community/workforce development in communities of color
3. Culturally-responsive evaluation and culturally-relevant cyberlearning program design
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Ashford-Hanserd, S. N., Springer, S. B., Hayton, M.-P. E., & Williams, K. E. (n.d.). Shadows of Plessy v. Ferguson: The dichotomy of progress towards educational equity since 1954. Journal of Negro Education.
- Ashford-Hanserd, S. N., Daniel, K. L., Garcia, D. M., & Idema, J. L. (2020). Factors that influence persistence of biology majors at a hispanic-serving institution. Journal of Research in Technical Careers, 4(1), 47. https://doi.org/10.9741/2578-2118.1048
- Merrill, H. S., Ashford-Hanserd, S. N., Boden, C. J., Cherrstrom, C. A., Eichler, M. A., Gibson, P. A., … Wilson, B. D. (2018). A guide to college success for post-traditional students (2nd ed.). Charlotte, NC: Information Age.
- Ashford-Hanserd, S. N., Wilson, J. A., King, N., & Nyachee, T. (2017). STEM SISTA spaces: Creating STEM counterspaces for Black girls and women. In Emerging Issues and Trends in Education (pp. 3–37). Michigan, Un: Michigan State University Press. Retrieved from http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-85037570563&partnerID=MN8TOARS
- Ashford-Hanserd, S. N., Lanehart, R. E., Kersaint, G. K., Lee, R. S., & Kromrey, J. D. (2016). STEM pathways: Examining persistence in rigorous math and science course taking. Journal of Science Education and Technology, 25(6), 961–975. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10956-016-9654-0
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, The Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. November 9, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Graduate Researcher, Occupational Program (OWLS), Texas State University. August 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Computer Science For All Initiative White House Fact Sheet, The White House. September 13, 2016
- Award / Honor Nominee: Outstanding Teaching Assistant, University of South Florida. 2014
- Award / Honor Nominee: Community Motivator Award, Texas Governor’s Office. 2010
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole (Principal), Daniel, Kristy Lynn (Co-Principal), Garcia, Dana M (Co-Principal). NSF INCLUDES DDLP - ACCEYSS: Association of collaborative communities equipping youth for STEM success, National Science Foundation, Federal, $14999. (Submitted: May 6, 2019, Funded: December 1, 2019 - November 30, 2020). Grant.
- Eaglin, Phillip G. (Principal), Muoneke, Ada (Co-Principal), Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole (Co-Principal), Singh, Shailendra Mohan (Supporting). Broadening participation to include African American and Hispanic students with disabilities in computer science learning using voice user interface project-based learning, National Science Foundation, Federal, $1616024. (Submitted: February 11, 2019, Funded: October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2022). Grant.
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole. ACCEYSS learning community (formerly ReclaimDunbar), College of Applied Arts, Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: September 1, 2019 - Present). Grant.
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole (Principal), Sarmiento, Eric Ryan (Co-Principal), Rayburn, Steven W (Co-Principal), Myles, Colleen Crystal (Co-Principal), Davio, Rebecca Lynn (Supporting), Fox, Rebekah L (Supporting), Guajardo, Miguel (Supporting), Valencia, Louie Dean (Supporting), Valle, Rosina Ruiz (Supporting). #ReclaimDunbar: A community needs assessment for the Dunbar arts, cultural and innovation district, Texas State University, 2018 Multidisciplinary Team Incentive (MTI) fund, $1000. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Ashford-Hanserd, Shetay Nicole. STEEAM (science, technology, engineering, entrepreneurship, agriculture, and mathematics) Pathways in Rural Communities, United States Department of Agriculture, Federal, $150000. (Funded: February 15, 2018 - February 15, 2020). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
Journal of Research in Technical Careers
August 1, 2017-Present
Institutional Review Board
Adjunct Doctoral ~ Courtesy Graduate Faculty Appointment (Brett Lee)
Department of Counseling, Leadership, Adult Education & School Psychology – School Improvement Ph.D. program
October 20, 2017-August 31, 2020
American Evaluation Association, STEM Topical Interest Group
November 11, 2017-November 10, 2019
OWLS Search Committee - Assistant/Associate Professor
June 1, 2019-September 30, 2019