Faculty Profile for Dr. Debbie Thorne
Biography and EducationDebbie M. Thorne, Ph.D. is the associate provost and a tenured professor of marketing at Texas State University. She is a primary advisor to the provost and provides leadership on effective resource allocation, faculty recruitment and retention, professional development, tenure, promotion, and performance management, accreditation standards for faculty, diversity and inclusion, and the shared governance climate for over 2,300 faculty members and administrators. Dr. Thorne joined Texas State in 2001 as the chair of the department of marketing and eventually served as presidential fellow (2005-2006) and associate vice president for academic affairs, with oversight for curriculum, distance learning, and international affairs (2006-2016).
Dr. Thorne received her Ph.D. in business administration from The University of Memphis, M.S. in marketing from Texas A & M University, and B.B.A from Abilene Christian University. She has published many articles in academic journals and is a co-author of multiple books. Dr. Thorne is the recipient of awards for excellence in both teaching and research and has served in executive leadership positions in professional associations, including past president of the Society for Marketing Advances and Texas Women in Higher Education. She has taught at universities around the world and before entering academe, was in product management with Texas Instruments. She enjoys foreign travel, collegiate athletics, and traversing dining and shopping districts.
Google Scholar Profile https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=LUMqZwgAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Thorne, D. M., & Quinn, F. F. (2017). Supplier Resources in the Sharing Economy: Three Regulatory Concerns. Journal of Marketing Channels, 24(1–2), 73–83. https://doi.org/10.1080/1046669x.2017.1347003
- Ferrell, O. C., Thorne, D. M., & Ferrell, L. (2016). Business and Society: A Strategic Approach to Social Responsibility and Ethics, 5th edition. Chicago, IL: Chicago Business Press.
- Thorne, D. M., & Quinn, F. F. (2016). Private Governance in the Supply Chain. Journal of Marketing Channels, 23(1–2), 11–21. https://doi.org/10.1080/1046669X.2016.1147340
- Quinn, F., & Thorne, D. M. (2014). Effective Communication with Stakeholders. In R. P. Hill & R. Langan (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Marketing and Corporate Social Responsibility (pp. 108–134). Northampton, MA: Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Thorne, D. M. (2018). Social Accountability. In The SAGE Encyclopedia of Business Ethics and Society (pp. 3128–3130). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781483381503.n1079
- Award / Honor Recipient: Jerome L. Neuner Award for Excellence in Professional-Scholarly Publication. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Effective Practice Award, Online Learning Consortium. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Phi Kappa Phi, Texas State University. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Quality Scorecard Effective Practice Award, Online Learning Consortium. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Millennium Leadership Initiative ~ Class of 2008, American Association of State Colleges and Universities. 2008
- Thorne, Debbie Marie (Principal). Dana Faculty Development Grant, The University of Tampa. (Funded: 1998). Grant.
- Thorne, Debbie Marie (Principal). Dana Faculty Development Grant, The University of Tampa. (Funded: 1996). Grant.
- Thorne, Debbie Marie (Principal). Dana Faculty Development Grant, The University of Tampa. (Funded: 1995). Grant.
- Thorne, Debbie Marie (Principal). Dana Faculty Development Grant, The University of Tampa. (Funded: 1994). Grant.
- Thorne, Debbie Marie (Co-Principal), Morris, R (Co-Principal). Business Leadership and Retention Program, Southwest Texas State University, $10500. (Funded: 2003 - 2005). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Search Committee, Assistant Vice President for International Affairs
Title IX Collaborative
ADA Task Force
Search Committee, Special Assistant to the President
Search Committee, Assistant VP for Budget, Financial Planning, Financial Analysis