Faculty Profile for Dr. Michael Brandon Devlin
Biography and EducationMike Devlin is Associate Professor of Advertising. He holds a PhD in Mass Communication from the University of Alabama, and an MA in Mass Communication and BA in Electronic Media Communications from Texas Tech University. Prior to earning his PhD, Mike worked as media designer and multimedia specialist in Austin, Texas. He currently teaches Advertising Copywriting and Layout at Texas State University along with sport media and sport marketing courses.
Dr. Devlin's research focuses on the antecedents and behaviors of sports fans as they relate to media consumption and social identity. More specifically, he studies the intersection of team/fan identity, media effects, and advertising through cognitive, affective, and behavioral effects associated with these identities and media consumption - focusing on how fan identification impacts sponsorships, endorsements, branding, and advertising campaigns. Previous work included the integration of psychophysiology to further understand a fan’s cognitive capacity during sporting events.
He is the author of over 23 peer-reviewed publications, 40 national and international conference proceedings, and several book chapters examining the intersection between sports communication and advertising. His research has been published in Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Communication and Sport, International Journal of Sport Management & Marketing, Journal of Sports Media, and International Journal of Sport Communication.
Teaching InterestsCreative Advertising, Ad Campaigns, Media Design, Sport Media, Sport Marketing,
Research InterestsTeam Identification, Personality, Sport Marketing, Sport Communication
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Brown-Devlin, N., & Devlin, M. B. (2020). It’s all about my “team”: What we can learn about politics from sport. In U.S. Election Analysis 2020: Media, Voters and the Campaign. Center for Comparative Politics & Media Research. Retrieved from https://www.electionanalysis.ws/us/president2020/section-6-popular-culture-and-public-critique/its-all-about-my-team-what-we-can-learn-about-politics-from-sport/
- Brown-Devlin, N. A., & Devlin, M. B. (n.d.). Expecting Victory due to TV or Identity?: An examination of the influence of media consumption and social identification on game expectations. Journal of Sports Media.
- Craig, C. M., Ngondo, P. S., Devlin, M. B., & Scharlach, J. M. (2019). Escaping the Routine: Unlocking Group Intervention. Communication Teacher, 34(1), 14–18.
- Brown-Devlin, N. A., & Devlin, M. B. (2019). Winning with Personality: Underscoring Antecedents for College Students’ Motives for Team Identification. Communication & Sport. https://doi.org/DOI: 10.1177/2167479519832017
- Brown-Devlin, N. A., Devlin, M. B., & Vaughan, P. W. (2018). Why fans act that way: Using individual personality to predict BIRGing and CORFing behaviors. Communication and Sport, 6(4), 395–417. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1177/2167479517725011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. June 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: National Student Advertising Competition - National Runner-Up, American Advertising Federation (AAF). January 2020 - June 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award, Texas State - College of Fine Arts and Communication. April 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Emerging Scholar Award, National Communication Association. June 27, 2018 - November 8, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean's Seminar - Texas State University, College of Fine Arts, Office of the Dean. October 9, 2018
- Kaufhold, William Thomas (Principal), Oskam, Judith B (Supporting), Devlin, Michael Brandon (Other). Communication Strategy Implementation Proposal, Texas Department of Health and Human Services, State, $636149.00. (Funded: July 2017 - December 2017). Grant.
- Devlin, Michael Brandon (Co-Principal), Brown-Devlin, Natalie (Co-Principal), Billings, Andrew C (Co-Principal), Brown, Kenon A (Co-Principal). Mobile Olympic media across three continents: Replacing or enhancing Olympic television?, International Olympic Committee, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $20000. (Funded: June 26, 2017 - July 2, 2018). Grant.
- Devlin, Michael Brandon (Principal). REP Grant, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: September 2021, Funded: March 2022 - December 2022). Grant.
- Devlin, Michael Brandon, Sheehan, Kim (Co-Principal). A Crucial Catch: Examining Sports Fans’ Response to Corporate Social Responsibility Messaging on Social Media, Arthur W. Page Center, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1000. (Funded: August 2017 - July 2018). Grant.
- Devlin, Michael Brandon. In Pursuit of the Highly Identified Fan, DePaul University - University Research Council, Institutional (Higher Ed), $3500. (Funded: November 2015 - January 2016). Grant.