Faculty Profile for Dr. Sidney Thomas Anderson
Biography and EducationDr. Anderson is an Assistant Professor of Marketing. He earned a PhD in Marketing (2016) from Florida State University after receiving his MBA (2011) and B.S. in Computer Information Systems (2000) from the University of Central Missouri. Prior to entering academia, he gained twelve years of experience in the IT industry, where he assisted in implementing enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems; his consulting expertise includes data conversion and systems integration. His research examines the interactions that occur between frontline employees and customers during the service experience, with special attention paid to the impact of service design on the interactions. Specifically, he focuses on service design, healthcare marketing, and service operations management. His work has been published in the European Journal of Marketing, Journal of Service Management, Journal of Services Marketing, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, Service Industries Journal, and Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education.
Teaching InterestsMarketing Management, Principles of Marketing
Research InterestsMarketing Strategy, Healthcare Marketing, Service Operations Management
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Anderson, S. T., Rayburn, S. W., & Sierra, J. J. (2019). Future Thinking the Role of Marketing in Healthcare. European Journal of Marketing, 53(8), 1521–1545. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1108/EJM-10-2017-0779
- Rayburn, S. W., Anderson, S. T., & Fowler, K. (2020). Service Process Design and Management. In The Routledge Handbook of Service Research Insights and Ideas. Routledge.
- Rayburn, S. W., Anderson, S. T., & Smith, K. H. (2018). Designing Marketing Courses based on Self-Determination Theory: Promoting Psychological Need Fulfillment and Improving Student Outcomes. Journal for Advancement of Marketing Education, 26(2), 22–32.
- Anderson, S. T., Nasr, L., & Rayburn, S. W. (2018). Transformative Service Research and Service Design: Synergistic Effects in Healthcare. The Service Industries Journal, 38(1–2), 99–113. https://doi.org/10.1080/02642069.2017.1404579
- Anderson, S. T., & Smith, J. (2018). Understanding Hospital Quality: The Case of Cumulative and Balanced Quality. The Service Industries Journal, 38(3–4), 182–200. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org.libproxy.txstate.edu/10.1080/02642069.2017.1387247
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Paper Award, Service Industries Journal. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow, American Marketing Association. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fellows Society, Florida State University. 2012 - 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Linda and O.C. Ferrell Collegiality Award, Florida State University. 2014
- Anderson, Sidney Thomas. McCoy Faculty Development Grant (Data Analytics Training), Private / Foundation / Corporate, $3750. (Funded: December 2018). Grant.
- Anderson, Sidney Thomas (Principal). Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2016, Funded: May 2017 - August 2017). Grant.
- Rayburn, Steven W, Anderson, Sidney Thomas, Nasr, Linda. Environmental Service Committee Grant, Texas State University, $12500. (Submitted: 2016, Funded: 2017 - 2018). Grant.
- Anderson, Sidney Thomas. McCoy Faculty Development Grant (Service Design Training), Private / Foundation / Corporate, $2000. (Funded: December 2017). Grant.
- Anderson, Sidney Thomas (Principal). Valuing Diversity New Faculty Grant, American Marketing Association, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $3000. (Submitted: April 2016, Funded: August 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Subject Pool Committee
Ad hoc Reviewer, Journal of Services Marketing
African-American Studies Working Group
January 2017-May 2019
Merit Policy Revision Committee
April 2018-November 2018
PhD Project - Marketing Doctoral Student Association
August 2013-August 2014