Faculty Profile for Dr. Sonya Lee Armstrong
Biography and EducationDr. Sonya L. Armstrong is an Associate Professor in the Graduate Program in Developmental Education within the Department of Curriculum and Instruction, where she also serves as the director of the Doctoral Program. She earned her doctorate in literacy education with a focus on postsecondary literacy from the University of Cincinnati. Prior to that, she trained in English and earned two M.A. degrees (in literature and editing and publishing). Over the years, she has served as a practitioner in first-year and developmental education contexts at community colleges and universities, including teaching developmental reading, basic writing, and learning strategies courses, as well as directing a college reading and learning program. Her research focuses on college literacy learning and practice. She is currently undertaking an investigation of the alignment of reading expectations and texts in developmental reading and career technical education courses.
Teaching InterestsLiteracy theory, integrated reading and writing, disciplinary literacies, curriculum design, college reading assessment
Research InterestsPostsecondary literacy expectations, literacy alignment, curriculum and instruction for college reading and learning
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Meaney, K. S., & Armstrong, S. L. (2019). Academic Bullying: Taking the Hallway Chats to the Level of Formalized Policy. Kinesiology Review, 8(4), 318–322. https://doi.org/10.1123/kr.2019-0042
- Armstrong, S. L., Stahl, N. A., & Lampi, J. (2019). All the best-laid plans: A content analysis of textbooks driving integrated reading and writing in community college contexts. Community College Journal of Research and Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/10668926.2019.1616633
- Armstrong, S. L., & Williams, C. A. (2019). Reconceptualizing the work of placement: Toward a culture of inquiry in developmental reading. Journal of College Literacy and Learning, 45, 54–68.
- Armstrong, S. L., Stahl, N. A., King, J. R., Kantner, M. J., Perkins, M., Sobin, B., & Dalrymple, R. (2019). Literacy in the ‘In-Between Spaces’ of Community Colleges: Interstitial Practices in Developmental Reading and Career Technical Education. Retrieved from https://www.niu.edu/language-literacy/_pdf/Literacy%20in%20the%20In-Between%20Spaces%20of%20Community%20Colleges%20January%202019.pdf
- Armstrong, S. L., Williams, J., & Stahl, N. A. (2018). Integrated reading and writing. In Handbook of College Reading and Study Strategy Research (pp. 143–167). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Cynthia Peterson JCRL Outstanding Article Award for the Journal of College Reading and Learning, College Reading and Learning Association. November 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Journal of Developmental Education Outstanding Article Award. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alyce Kramer Marcus Outstanding Educator Award. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Karen G. Smith Award for Outstanding Service to the College Reading and Learning Association. 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: Chi Alpha Epsilon Honor Society, Honorary Inductee. 2012
Selected Service Activities
Literacy Research Association's J. Michael Parker Award Committee
College Reading and Learning Association
Texas Community College Teachers Association, Developmental Reading and Writing Section
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy
Journal of College Reading and Learning