Faculty Profile for Twister Marquiss
Biography and EducationTwister Marquiss grew up in Wyoming on a buffalo ranch first homesteaded by his great-grandfather, and on one occasion, he arrived by airplane at his rural elementary school. He attended St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, serving as the university’s Sports Information Director while still an undergraduate, and earned a B.A. in English through the Honors Program. He later earned a terminal M.F.A. in creative writing from Texas State University, where he was a Mitte Foundation Scholar. After nearly a decade at Texas State as a lecturer in English and editor of several scholarly journals and magazines, he left academia for a year — he moved back to Wyoming to work on his family’s buffalo ranch and focus on writing projects. In 2012, he returned to Texas State in a new senior lecturer role, teaching courses in English and in the Honors College. And in 2017, he became director of the Common Experience, Texas State’s annual academic theme with related events for students and the community. Today the Common Experience at Texas State is the nation’s #1 initiative of its kind, offering students more academic event opportunities than any other university. His fiction and photography have appeared in Narrative Magazine and other publications, and he has hosted a one-time segment on CNN Headline News. His honors at Texas State have included a Foundations of Excellence Award and several listings as a "Favorite Professor" by Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. In 2018, the Innovation Week team that he headed was awarded the Texas State Quarterly Team Award after presenting 54 events in five days; the 132 organizers made it the largest team to ever win the award. He also oversaw the 2019 LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series event featuring Oscar/Emmy/Grammy-winning actor and hip-hop artist Common, drawing the largest crowd (6,300+) in series history.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Co-designer (with graduate student Taylor Kirby), 2019-2020 Common Reading Faculty Guide: What the Eyes Don’t See by Mona Hanna- Attisha. 2019.
- Video script writer and narrator, 2019-2020 Common Experience | Truth.
- New Student Orientation. June 4, 2019 - August 20, 2019 LBJ Student Center Ballroom, San Marcos, TX.
- Co-developer (with graduate student Taylor Kirby), content developer, content designer, webmaster, LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series website. 2019.
- Co-developer (with graduate student Taylor Kirby), content developer, content designer, webmaster, Common Experience 2019-2020: Truth website. 2019.
- Marquiss, T., & Nielson Vargas, E. K. (Eds.). (2018). Common Reading Faculty Guide 2018-19: The Runaway Species by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt. San Marcos, TX: Common Experience.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Guest Coach, Texas State University Women's Basketball Team. December 4, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Pin, 15 Years, Texas State University. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Texas State University Quarterly Team Award, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs. December 6, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduating Student Recognition of Campus Support Program at Texas State. May 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Excellence in Diversity Awards, Team Award, Office of Equity and Access. 2017
- Nielson, Erika, Marquiss, Twister. Arts Respond Performance Support Grant for Big Bend film screening + live score performance, Texas Commission on the Arts, State, $1250. (Funded: April 8, 2019). Grant.
- Marquiss, Christopher Scott. Computing Resources program and Associate V.P. for Instructional Technologies Support. (Funded: 2011). Grant.
- Marquiss, Christopher Scott. Student Computing Resources program and Associate V.P. for Instructional Technologies Support. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
- Marquiss, Christopher Scott. Professional Equity Project (PEP) Grant, National Council for Teachers of English (NCTE). (Funded: 2004). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
LBJ Distinguished Lecture Series Committee
May 21, 2019-Present
160over90 Brand Research Strategy focus group, Office of University Marketing
Executive Advisors for the Common Experience
August 15, 2017-Present
Common Experience Committee
June 1, 2017-Present