Faculty Profile for Dr. Eleanor W Close
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Van Dusen, B., Shultz, M., Nissen, J. M., Wilcox, B. R., Holmes, N. G., Jariwala, M., … Pollock, S. (2020). Online administration of research-based assessments. American Journal of Physics, 89(7). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1119/10.0002888
- Quichocho, X. R., Schipull, E. M., & Close, E. W. (2020). Understanding physics identity development through the identity performances of Black, Indigenous, and women of color and LGBTQ+ women in physics (pp. 412–417). https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2020.pr.Quichocho.
- Close, E. W., & Quichocho, X. (2020, July). Cultivating an Inclusive Culture in the Physics Department through a Learning Assistant Program. Newsletter of the American Physical Society Forum on Education. Retrieved from https://engage.aps.org/fed/resources/newsletters/summer-2020#Cultivating
- Quichocho, X. R., Conn, J., Schipull, E. M., & Close, E. W. (2019). Who does physics? Understanding the composition of a physicists through the lens of women of color and female LGBQ+ physicists. San Marcos, United States. https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2019.pr.Quichocho
- Schipull, E. M., Quichocho, X. R., & Close, E. W. (2019). “Success Together”: Physics departmental practices supporting LGBQ+ women and women of color. https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2017.pr.017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Physics Teacher Education Coalition (PhysTEC) 5+ Club, Physics Teacher Education Coalition. December 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Science and Engineering, Texas State University. September 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, College of Science and Engineering. September 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service. May 2018
- Close, Eleanor W (Principal). PERTG – Visiting Scholar Grant, $1000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Berry, S.. “Our River” Project: Exploring the efficacy of field trips to positively influence children’s attitudes toward science and conservation, Student Undergraduate Research Fund (S.U.R.F.) grant, $995. (Funded: April 2015). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Lewis, R.. Female Science Anxiety: Causes and Concerns for Elementary Educators, Student Undergraduate Research Fund (S.U.R.F.) grant, $274. (Funded: November 2014). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Geerts, Wilhelmus J, Spencer, Gregory F. Computers for Physics class room RFM3223 and the Physics Advanced Student Lounge RFM3222 in support of the Physics curriculum, ACC Student Computing Resources proposal, $17900. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Van Dusen, Benjamin (Principal), Close, Eleanor W (Co-Principal), Nissen, Jayson (Co-Principal), Talbot, Robert (Co-Principal). Developing Faculty Resources of Evidence-based Practices that Improve Learning and Equity in STEM, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2050450. (Submitted: March 2019, Funded: October 2019 - September 2023). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Advisory Board member
Research for EDucator Equity & Excellence (REDEE) Center
Personnel Committee for Physics
Society for Women in Physics student club, Texas State University
Organizer: International Conference & Research Symposium, Regional Workshops
International Learning Assistant Alliance
Physics Learning Assistant Program, Texas State University