Faculty Profile for Dr. Eleanor W Close
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Nissen, J. M., Jariwala, M., Close, E. W., & Van Dusen, B. (2018). Participation and Performance on Paper- and Computer-Based Low-Stakes Assessments. International Journal of STEM Education, 5(21). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1186/s40594-018-0117-4
- Jariwala, M., Nissen, J., Herrarra, X., Close, E. W., & Van Dusen, B. (2018). Participation rates of in-class vs. online administration of low-stakes research-based assessments (pp. 196–199). https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2017.pr.044
- Nissen, J., Jariwala, M., Herrarra, X., Close, E. W., & Van Dusen, B. (2018). Performance Differences for in-class and online administration of low-stakes research-based assessments (pp. 272–275). https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2017.pr.063
- Close, E. W., Mailloux-Huberdeaus, J.-M., Close, H. G., & Donnelly, D. (2018). Characterization of time scale for detecting impacts of reforms in an undergraduate physics program. In AIP Conference Proceedings: 2017 Physics Education Research Conference. American Institute of Physics.
- Donnelly, D., Mailloux-Huberdeaux, J.-M., Nissen, J. M., & Close, E. W. (2018). Comparison of normalized gain and Cohen’s d for Force Concept Inventory results in an introductory mechanics course. In AIP Conference Proceedings: 2017 Physics Education Research Conference. American Institute of Physics.
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service. May 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, College of Science and Engineering. September 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Department of Physics, Texas State University. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: CoSearch: First Place Team, 2017 CoSearch Collaborative Research Competition. September 2017
- Close, Eleanor W (Principal). PERTG – Visiting Scholar Grant, $1000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Berry, S.. “Our River” Project: Exploring the efficacy of field trips to positively influence children’s attitudes toward science and conservation, Student Undergraduate Research Fund (S.U.R.F.) grant, $995. (Funded: April 2015). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Lewis, R.. Female Science Anxiety: Causes and Concerns for Elementary Educators, Student Undergraduate Research Fund (S.U.R.F.) grant, $274. (Funded: November 2014). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Geerts, Wilhelmus J, Spencer, Gregory F. Computers for Physics class room RFM3223 and the Physics Advanced Student Lounge RFM3222 in support of the Physics curriculum, ACC Student Computing Resources proposal, $17900. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W (Principal). Building STEM Skills, Community, and Belonging to Retain Majors, Halliburton Foundation, $15000. (Submitted: June 2016, Funded: September 2016 - December 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Faculty awards committee
Personnel Committee for Physics
Research mentor for Alice Olmstead
Science outreach activities
Executive Committee, APS Forum on Education