Faculty Profile for Dr. Eleanor W Close
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Quichocho, X. R., Conn, J., Schipull, E. M., & Close, E. W. (2019). Who does physics? Understanding the composition of a physicists through the lens of women of color and female LGBQ+ physicists. San Marcos, United States. https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2019.pr.Quichocho
- Schipull, E. M., Quichocho, X. R., & Close, E. W. (2019). “Success Together”: Physics departmental practices supporting LGBQ+ women and women of color. https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2017.pr.017
- Nissen, J. M., Jariwala, M., Close, E. W., & Van Dusen, B. (2018). Participation and Performance on Paper- and Computer-Based Low-Stakes Assessments. International Journal of STEM Education, 5(21). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1186/s40594-018-0117-4
- Jariwala, M., Nissen, J., Herrarra, X., Close, E. W., & Van Dusen, B. (2018). Participation rates of in-class vs. online administration of low-stakes research-based assessments (pp. 196–199). https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2017.pr.044
- Nissen, J., Jariwala, M., Herrarra, X., Close, E. W., & Van Dusen, B. (2018). Performance Differences for in-class and online administration of low-stakes research-based assessments (pp. 272–275). https://doi.org/10.1119/perc.2017.pr.063
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Service. May 2018 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alpha Chi Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi. 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, College of Science and Engineering. September 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Department of Physics, Texas State University. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: CoSearch: First Place Team, 2017 CoSearch Collaborative Research Competition. September 2017
- Close, Eleanor W (Principal). PERTG – Visiting Scholar Grant, $1000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Berry, S.. “Our River” Project: Exploring the efficacy of field trips to positively influence children’s attitudes toward science and conservation, Student Undergraduate Research Fund (S.U.R.F.) grant, $995. (Funded: April 2015). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Lewis, R.. Female Science Anxiety: Causes and Concerns for Elementary Educators, Student Undergraduate Research Fund (S.U.R.F.) grant, $274. (Funded: November 2014). Grant.
- Close, Eleanor W, Geerts, Wilhelmus J, Spencer, Gregory F. Computers for Physics class room RFM3223 and the Physics Advanced Student Lounge RFM3222 in support of the Physics curriculum, ACC Student Computing Resources proposal, $17900. (Funded: 2013). Grant.
- Van Dusen, Benjamin (Principal), Close, Eleanor W (Co-Principal), Nissen, Jayson (Co-Principal), Talbot, Robert (Co-Principal). Developing Faculty Resources of Evidence-based Practices that Improve Learning and Equity in STEM, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2050450. (Submitted: March 2019, Funded: October 2019 - September 2023). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Personnel Committee for Physics
Research mentor for Alice Olmstead
Science outreach activities
Executive Committee, APS Forum on Education
Leadership Council, International Learning Assistant Alliance