Faculty Profile for Dr. Jennifer Ann Czocher
Biography and EducationDr. Jennifer Czocher is an Assistant Professor of Mathematics at Texas State University. As a 2018 Australia Endeavour Fellow, she is working closely with faculty at Australian Catholic University on improving teaching and learning of mathematics through mathematical modeling. Her research interests include students’ mathematical thinking and cognition, research in undergraduate mathematics education (RUME), the impact of mathematical modeling tasks on students’ mathematical thinking, and how mathematical reasoning supports STEM education. She also enjoys thinking about epistemological and philosophical issues in mathematics education. She is currently studying how individuals learn to use mathematics as a representational system and the role teacher questioning may have in helping individuals coordinate their mathematical and non-mathematical knowledge.
Research InterestsStudent thinking, mathematical modeling, research in undergraduate mathematics education
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Czocher, J. A., Moss, D., & Maldonado Rodriguez, L. A. (2020). Revitalizing and Re-purposing Traditional Word Problems. Mathematics Teacher: Learning & Teaching PreK-12.
- Stillman, G., Brown, J., & Czocher, J. A. (2020). “Yes, mathematicians do X so students should do X, but it’s not the X you think.” ZDM.
- Melhuish, K. M., & Czocher, J. A. (2020). Division is Pretty Much Just Multiplication. For the Learning of Mathematics, 40(1), 38–43.
- Czocher, J. A., & Weber, K. (2020). Proof as a cluster concept. Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, 51(1).
- Czocher, J. A., Melhuish, K., & Kandasamy, S. S. (2019). Building mathematics self-efficacy of STEM undergraduates through mathematical modelling. International Journal of Mathematics Education in Science and Technology.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Achievement in Scholarly Activity, College of Science and Engineering. 2019 - 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award, College of Science and Engineering. August 22, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alfred H Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Departmental Research Excellence Award. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Paper, Student Category, American Society for Engineering Education, North Central Section, Columbus, OH. 2013
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann, Maldonado, L (Co-Principal). Mathematical modeling of linguistically diverse students in grades 6 – 12, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $16000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann, White, Alexander (Supporting), Strickland, Sharon K (Supporting). CAREER: Scaffolding Strategies for Undergraduate Mathematical Modeling Skills, NSF, Federal, $954500. (Submitted: July 2017, Funded: September 2018 - August 2023). Grant.
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann (Supporting), Winkel, Brian (Principal), Harwood, Richard (Co-Principal), Malagon, Audrey (Co-Principal), Shelton, Therese (Co-Principal), Tiffany, Patrice (Co-Principal). Building Community Through Systemic Initiative for Modeling Investigations and Opportunities with Differential Equations (SIMIODE), NSF, Federal, $450000. (Submitted: December 2016, Funded: April 2018 - September 2021). Grant.
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann. How to Help STEM Undergraduates Develop Mathematical Modeling Competencies, REP, Institutional (Higher Ed), $7080. (Funded: February 2017 - June 2018). Grant.
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann (Principal), Maldonado, Luz A (Co-Principal). Investigating mathematical modeling activities of students from mathematically and linguistically diverse K-12 students. Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 2013, Funded: January 2014 - June 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
International Journal of STEM Education
Reviewer / Referee
Editorial Review Board Member
Journal of Mathematical Behavior
Reviewer / Referee
International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education (IJMA)
Doctoral Committee for Suby Kandasamy