Faculty Profile for Dr. Shuying Sun
Research InterestsStatistical genetics and bioinformatics
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Sun, L., Namboodiri, S., Chen, E., & Sun, S. (2019). Preliminary Analysis of Within-sample Co-methylation Patterns in Normal and Cancerous Breast Samples. Cancer Informatics, 18, 1–14.
- Sun, S., Lee, Y. R., & Enfield, B. (2019). Hemimethylation Patterns in Breast Cancer Cell Lines. Cancer Informatics, 18, 1–12.
- Sun, L., & Sun, S. (2019). Within-sample co-methylation patterns in normal tissues. Biodata Mining, 12(9).
- Li, C., Lee, J., Ding, J., & Sun, S. (2018). Integrative analysis of gene expression and methylation data for breast cancer cell lines. BioData Mining, 11(13).
- Elston, E., Satagopan, J., & Sun, S. (2017). Genetic Terminology. Chapter 1. In Statistical Human Genetics: Methods and Protocols (Methods in Molecular Biology). United States: Humana Press.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Excellence Award, Department of Mathematics, Texas State University, Texas State University. December 6, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Named/recognized by 3 undergraduate students as a person at Texas State University who made a contribution to their academic career (in 2015, 2016, 2019). 2015 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Enhancement Program Award. January 1, 2021 - May 31, 2022
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Science and Engineering. August 2020
- Sun, Shuying. Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (REP) Award, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 9, 2020, Funded: January 2021 - May 31, 2022). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Supporting), Yang, Yong (Principal), Keller, Tomas (Co-Principal), Zhao, Qiang (Supporting), Oh, Suho (Supporting), Dochtermann, Anton (Supporting). NSF REU Site: Algebra, Combinatorics, and Statistics, Federal, $269696. (Funded: September 1, 2018 - August 31, 2021). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Principal). Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (REP) Award, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 2018 - May 2019). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Principal). Texas State University Research Enhancement Program (REP) Award, $6556. (Funded: January 1, 2016 - May 31, 2017). Grant.
- Sun, Shuying (Principal). Texas State University Library Research Grant, $655.90. (Funded: December 3, 2014 - December 2, 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Submitted a Big Idea proposal on Building a Statistics and Bioinformatics Program at Texas State University (Oct 27, 2020). This proposal was selected for fund raising priorities by the University Advancement.
Served in the hiring committee for the tenure-track faculty position in statistics
Teaching Mentor for graduate students
Served as a teaching mentor for graduate student Robert Zhan
Served in the math department Ph.D and Graduate Committee
Mentor for lecturer
Served as a mentor for the following lecturer: Vivian Healey