Faculty Profile for Dr. Alex White
Biography and EducationAlexander White has a Ph.D. in Statistics from Michigan State University, is a Professor of Mathematics with interests in Mathematics Education. He was Doctoral Program Advisor in Mathematics Education for 12 years, Chair of the Nontenure Line Faculty Committee (2015-2017) and Chair of the Faculty Senate (2017 to 2019). He is currently Assistant Chair of Mathematics. Dr. White has consulted on in test development, sample selection and evaluation for several international organizations. He collaborates with Texas State Mathworks, a center for mathematics education at Texas State University on curriculum development and professional development, as well as mentoring talented high school students in summer research projects. He is the author of multiple publications on the effect of using technology to teach geometry, the use of visualizations in mathematics and statistics classrooms, and the co-author of a middle school mathematics Algebra I textbook.
Research InterestsStatistics Education
Visualization of Functions
Middle School Mathematics
Technology for Teaching
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Harrell-Williams, L. M., Lovett, J. N., Sorto, M. A., Pierce, R. L., Lesser, L. M., & Murphy, T. J. (2018). Using the SETS Level A Items to Classify Pre-service Teachers’ Self-Efficacy to Teach Statistics: An Application of the Mixture Rasch Model. In M. A. Sorto, A. White, & L. Guyot (Eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Teaching Statistics (ICOTS10). Voorburg, The Netherlands: International Statistical Institute. Retrieved from http://iase-web.org/icots/10/proceedings/pdfs/ICOTS10_C220.pdf
- Layla Guyot, Walker, A. N., & White, A. (2018). Challenges for Independent Student Projects: A persepective of the Teacher. In International Statistical Institute. The Netherlands. Retrieved from https://icots.info/10/?contributed=C290
- White, A., Guyot, L., & Walker, A. N. (2018). Data In Search of a Context: An Icebreaker Activity. In International Statistical Institute. The Netherlands. Retrieved from https://icots.info/10/proceedings/pdfs/ICOTS10_9K1.pdf
- Sorto, M. A., Wilson, A. T., & White, A. (2018). Teacher Knowledge and Teaching Practices in Linguistically Diverse Classrooms. In J. Moschkovich, D. Wagner, A. Bose, J. Rodrigues, & M. Schütte (Eds.), Language and communication in mathematics education: International perspectives (pp. 219–231). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Warshauer, M. L., McCabe, T., Sorto, M. A., Strickland, S., Warshauer, H. K., & White, A. (2010). Equity. In M. Saul, S. Assouline, & L. J. Sheffield (Eds.), The Peak in the Middle: Developing mathematically gifted students in the middle grades (pp. 155 – 170). San Marcos, United States: NCTM.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service, College of Science and Engineering. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award, Mathematics Department. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. December 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award, Mathematics Department. December 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. May 2016
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann, White, Alexander (Supporting), Strickland, Sharon K (Supporting). CAREER: Scaffolding Strategies for Undergraduate Mathematical Modeling Skills, NSF, Federal, $954500. (Submitted: July 2017, Funded: September 2018 - August 2023). Grant.
- Warshauer, Max L (Principal), Warshauer, Hiroko K (Co-Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). Mathworks Algebra Program, Meadows Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $306000. (Funded: 2012 - 2016). Grant.
- Jiang, Zhonghong (Principal), Cuevas, Gilberto Jose (Co-Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). Dynamic Geometry in Classrooms, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2090450. (Submitted: 2009, Funded: September 2009 - August 2016). Grant.
- White, Alexander (Principal). Research Enhancement Program: MathNerds and Mathematical Fall 2007 Knowledge for Teaching, Texas State University, $7512. (Funded: 2007 - 2008). Grant.
- Warshauer, Max L (Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). Mathematics Mentoring Network, Texas Education Agency, State, $350000. (Submitted: July 2006). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
General Education Council
Assistant Department Chair
Faculty Senate, Texas State University
June 2017-May 2019
Faculty Senate, Texas State University
June 2015-May 2017
University Performing Arts Committee