Faculty Profile for Dr. Alex White
Biography and EducationAlexander White has a Ph.D. in Statistics from Michigan State University, is an Associate Professor of Mathematics Education and has interests in Mathematics and Statistics Education. He is currently Assistant Chair of the Mathematics Department.
Dr. White has worked as a consultant in test development, sample selection and evaluation for a number of organizations including the Honduran Unit for the Measurement of Educational Quality. He collaborates with Texas State Mathworks, a center for mathematics education at Texas State University on curriculum development and professional development. He co-authored a new middle school mathematics Algebra I textbook.
Research InterestsStatistics Education
Visualization of Functions
Middle School Mathematics
Technology for Teaching
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Harrell-Williams, L. M., Lovett, J. N., Sorto, M. A., Pierce, R. L., Lesser, L. M., & Murphy, T. J. (2018). Using the SETS Level A Items to Classify Pre-service Teachers’ Self-Efficacy to Teach Statistics: An Application of the Mixture Rasch Model. In M. A. Sorto, A. White, & L. Guyot (Eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Teaching Statistics (ICOTS10). Voorburg, The Netherlands: International Statistical Institute. Retrieved from http://iase-web.org/icots/10/proceedings/pdfs/ICOTS10_C220.pdf
- Layla Guyot, Walker, A. N., & White, A. (2018). Challenges for Independent Student Projects: A persepective of the Teacher. In International Statistical Institute. The Netherlands. Retrieved from https://icots.info/10/?contributed=C290
- White, A., Guyot, L., & Walker, A. N. (2018). Data In Search of a Context: An Icebreaker Activity. In International Statistical Institute. The Netherlands. Retrieved from https://icots.info/10/proceedings/pdfs/ICOTS10_9K1.pdf
- Sorto, M. A., Wilson, A. T., & White, A. (2018). Teacher Knowledge and Teaching Practices in Linguistically Diverse Classrooms. In J. Moschkovich, D. Wagner, A. Bose, J. Rodrigues, & M. Schütte (Eds.), Language and communication in mathematics education: International perspectives (pp. 219–231). Dordrecht: Springer.
- Warshauer, M. L., McCabe, T., Sorto, M. A., Strickland, S., Warshauer, H. K., & White, A. (2010). Equity. In M. Saul, S. Assouline, & L. J. Sheffield (Eds.), The Peak in the Middle: Developing mathematically gifted students in the middle grades (pp. 155 – 170). San Marcos, United States: NCTM.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service, College of Science and Engineering. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. December 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award, Mathematics Department. December 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National Honor Society. May 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Service Excellence Award, Mathematics Department. December 2013
- Czocher, Jennifer Ann, White, Alexander (Supporting), Strickland, Sharon K (Supporting). CAREER: Scaffolding Strategies for Undergraduate Mathematical Modeling Skills, NSF, Federal, $954500. (Submitted: July 2017, Funded: September 2018 - August 2023). Grant.
- Warshauer, Max L (Principal), Warshauer, Hiroko K (Co-Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). Mathworks Algebra Program, Meadows Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $306000. (Funded: 2012 - 2016). Grant.
- Jiang, Zhonghong (Principal), Cuevas, Gilberto Jose (Co-Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). Dynamic Geometry in Classrooms, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2090450. (Submitted: 2009, Funded: September 2009 - August 2016). Grant.
- White, Alexander (Principal). Research Enhancement Program: MathNerds and Mathematical Fall 2007 Knowledge for Teaching, Texas State University, $7512. (Funded: 2007 - 2008). Grant.
- Warshauer, Max L (Principal), White, Alexander (Supporting). Mathematics Mentoring Network, Texas Education Agency, State, $350000. (Submitted: July 2006). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
QEP Leadership Team
October 1, 2017-Present
Institutional Effectiveness Council
September 23, 2016-Present
Reviewer / Referee
Statistics Education Research Journal
Commencement Team, Texas State University
Liaison to Dev. Ed. Doctoral Program
Texas State University