Faculty Profile for Dr. M Alejandra Sorto
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Harrell-Williams, L. M., Lovett, J. N., Lee, H. S., Pierce, R. L., Lesser, L. M., & Sorto, M. A. (2019). Validation of scores from the High School version of the self-efficacy to teach statistics (SETS-HS) instrument using pre-service mathematics teachers. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 37(2), 194–208. Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/wnjZIbWTkK5mY9VkdwUM/full
- Harrell-Williams, L. M., Lovett, J. N., Lesser, L. M., Lee, H. S., Pierce, R. L., Murphy, T. J., & Sorto, M. A. (2019). Measuring Self-Efficacy to Teach Statistics in Grades 6-12 Mathematics Teachers. In J. Bostic, E. Krupa, & J. Shih (Eds.), Assessment in mathematics education contexts: Theoretical frameworks and new directions (pp. 147–171). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Wilson, A. T., Kim, H. W., & Sorto, M. A. (2018). Exchanging deficit for affordance: Developing preservice teachers’ capacity to see emergent bilingual students’ resources. In T. E. Hodges, G. J. Roy, & A. M. Tyminski (Eds.), Proceedings of the 40th Annual Conference of the North American Meeting of the International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (pp. 811–814). Greenville, SC: University of South Carolina & Clemson University.
- Wilkerson, T., Eddy, C., Quebec-Fuentes, S., Sorto, M. A., Gupta, A., Ward, L., … Kerschen, K. (2018). Development and Validation of the Algebra Teachers’ Self-Efficacy Instrument: Assessment of Algebra Teachers’ Knowledge and Personal Teaching Efficacy. School Science Mathematics Journal, 118(6), 206–217. https://doi.org/10.1111/ssm.12291
- Harrell-Williams, L. M., Lovett, J. N., Sorto, M. A., Pierce, R. L., Lesser, L. M., & Murphy, T. J. (2018). Using the SETS Level A Items to Classify Pre-service Teachers’ Self-Efficacy to Teach Statistics: An Application of the Mixture Rasch Model. In M. A. Sorto, A. White, & L. Guyot (Eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Teaching Statistics (ICOTS10). Voorburg, The Netherlands: International Statistical Institute. Retrieved from http://iase-web.org/icots/10/proceedings/pdfs/ICOTS10_C220.pdf
- Award / Honor Recipient: Research Excellence Award, Texas State University Mathematics Department. December 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Professor of International Studies, The Center of International Studies, Texas State University. November 2018
- Award / Honor Nominee: The Graduate College's Outstanding Mentor Award, Graduate College Texas State University. September 16, 2019 - November 7, 2019
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly Activities. December 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Teaching Excellence Award, College of Science and Engineering. August 2018
- Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Principal). NSF CAREER: Mathematical Instruction for English Language Learners (MI-ELL), National Science Foundation DR-K12 Grant, Federal, $679000. (Funded: July 2011 - June 2018). Grant.
- Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Co-Principal). Using Technology to Capture Classroom Interactions: The Design, Validation, and Dissemination of a Formative Assessment of Instruction Tool for Diverse K-8 Mathematics Classrooms, National Science Foundation, Federal, $1984657. (Funded: September 15, 2018 - August 31, 2022). Grant.
- Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Supporting), Ortiz, Araceli (Principal). NASA Future Aerospace-engineers and Mathematicians Academy (FAMA), NASA Office of Education, Federal, $412000. (Funded: October 2015 - October 2018). Grant.
- Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Other), Ortiz, Araceli (Principal). NSF-TX State STEM Rising Starts Grant, National Science Foundation IUSE Grant, Federal, $1500000. (Funded: January 2015 - 2018). Grant.
- Sorto, Maria Alejandra (Co-Principal). NASA STEM Educator Professional Development Collaborative, NASA Office of Education, Federal, $14998936. (Funded: September 2014 - September 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
Mathematics Education Trust of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
June 1, 2017-September 17, 2019
Research Enhancement Program (REP)
Merit Review Committee
Teaching for Excellence and Equity in Mathematics (TEEM) a refereed journal of TODOS