Faculty Profile for Dr. Susan Morey
Biography and EducationI received my B.S. in Mathematics with Honors from the University of Missouri-Columbia in 1990 and my Ph.D. in Mathematics from Rutgers University in 1995. After holding a postdoctoral position at the University of Texas at Austin, I became an Assistant Professor at Texas State (then Southwest Texas State University) in 1997. I received tenure and promotion to Associate Professor in 2001 and promotion to Full Professor in 2010. I became Chair of the department in 2015. I have received awards at both the departmental and college level in all three areas of teaching, research, and service.
Research InterestsNormality, Cohen-Macaulayness, and equations of Rees algebras, algebraic and combinatorial properties of edge ideals of graphs and hypergraphs
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Fouli, L., Ha, T., & Morey, S. (n.d.). Initially Regular Sequences and Depths of Ideals. Journal of Algebra, 559, 33–57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.algebra.2020.03.027
- Cooper, S., El Khoury, S., Faridi, S., Mayes-Tang, S., Morey, S., Sega, L., & Spiroff, S. (n.d.). Simplicial Resolutions for the Second Power of Square-free Monomial Ideals. In Women in Commutative Algebra- Proceedings of the 2019 WICA Workshop. Springer.
- Fouli, L., Ha, H. T., & Morey, S. (n.d.). Depth of Powers of Squarefree Monomial Ideals. In Advances in Mathematical Sciences. Association for Women in Mathematics Series 21. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-42687-3_10
- Melhuish, K. M., Lew, K. M., Hicks, M. D., Guajardo, L. R., Dawkins, P. C., & Morey, S. (n.d.). Proving, Analyzing, and Deepening Understanding of a Structural Property in Abstract Algebra. In Building a Shareable Knowledge Base for Teaching in Collegiate Mathematics. Washington, D.C., United States of America: Mathematics Association of America.
- Martinez-Bernal, J., Morey, S., Villarreal, R. H., & Vivares, C. E. (2019). Depth and Regularity of Monomial Ideals via Polarization and Combinatorial Optimization. Acta Mathematica Vietnamica, 44, 243–268.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fellow, Association for Women in Mathematics. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Everette Swinney Teaching Award. August 26, 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Teaching, Associate/Full Professor Category. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Professor of the Year, Honors College. 2013 - 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, Associate/Full Professor Category. 2013
- Morey, Susan (Co-Principal), Dean, Nate (Principal), Shen, Jian (Co-Principal). NREUP Site in Discrete Mathematics, MAA, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $31150. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
- Morey, Susan (Principal), Keller, Thomas M (Co-Principal). Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site in Mathematics, NSF, Federal, $36000. (Funded: 2001). Grant.
- Melhuish, Kathleen Mary (Principal), Lew, Kristen Marie (Co-Principal), Sigley, Robert (Other), Morey, Susan (Supporting), Dawkins, Paul Christian (Co-Principal), Bishop, Jessica Lynn (Supporting). Orchestrating Discussions Around Proof, National Science Foundation, Federal, $299847. (Submitted: May 1, 2018, Funded: November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2021). Grant.
- Morey, Susan (Principal), Christensen, Lars (Co-Principal), Fouli, Louiza (Co-Principal), Jorgensen, David (Co-Principal). Southwest Local Algebra Meeting, NSA, Federal, $14925. (Funded: 2015 - 2016). Grant.
- Morey, Susan, Shen, Jian (Principal). Research Experiences for Undergraduates Site in Mathematics, NSF, Federal, $210000. (Funded: 2011 - 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Developmental Education Advisory Committee
Sceintific Committee for the Second International Meeting in Commutative Algebra and its Related Areas (SIMCARA)
April 12, 2018-July 26, 2019
Coordinator / Organizer
Special Session in Combinatorial Commutative Algebra, Congress of the Americas
representative to the Faculty Senate
College of Science and Engineering
MAA subcommittee on Undergraduate Research in Mathematics