Faculty Profile for Dr. Eduardo Perez
Biography and EducationEmployment:
- Associate Professor, Ingram School of Engineering at Texas State University
- Visiting Scholar, College of Global Public Health at NYU (sabbatical Fall 19)
- Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering, Texas A&M University - College Station
- B.S. in Industrial Engineering, University of Puerto Rico - Mayagüez, Puerto Rico
Research project sponsors:
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)
- Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS)
- Baylor Scott & White Health System
- Adventist Health System
- NEC Corporation.
Teaching InterestsSystems engineering
Modeling and Analysis of Manufacturing System
Research Interests1) Analysis, evaluation, and optimization of large scale systems
- Problem definition
- Stating customer requirements
- Process and flow mapping
- Functional definition
- System simulation
- System verification and validation
- Resource allocation, scheduling, and optimization
- Cost analysis
2) Healthcare system analysis
- Analysis of patient flow
- Doctor and nurse scheduling
- Patient centered care
- Healthcare policy
- Community preventive services analysis (cost, impact, funding allocation)
- Hospital trauma system analysis and capacity planning. Patient demand forecasting.
3) Humanitarian logistics
- Food bank operation analysis and optimization
- Disaster relief planning
4) Renewable energy system analysis
- Reliability analysis of wind turbine
- Large scale system simulation
- Maintenance resource planning and scheduling
-Systems simulation (discrete, agent based, DEVS),
-Linear, Integer, and Stochastic Programming
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Perez, E., Alvarado, M., & Barrett, M. (2019). Personalizing Healthcare in Smart Cities. In S. McClellan (Ed.), Smart Cities in Application: Healthcare, Policy, and Innovation (pp. 3–18). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/978-3-030-19396-6
- *Sajan Varghese, M., Perez, E., & Schwarz, A. L. (2019). A Decision Support Framework for Augmentative and Alternative Communication Device Selection. In Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- *Sajan Varghese, M., Perez, E., & Schwarz, A. L. (2019). A Systems Engineering Approach to Designing a Mobile Assessment Clinic for Patients in Need of Assistive Technology. In Proceedings of the 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- *Anandhan, V., Perez, E., & Novoa, C. M. (n.d.). A Simulation based Planning Methodology for Decreasing Patient Waiting Times in Pure Walk-in Clinics. International Journal of Information Systems in the Service Sector (IJISSS).
- Perez, E., *Ambati, R. R., & Ruiz-Torres, A. J. (2018). Maximizing the Percentage of On-Time Jobs with Sequence Dependent Deteriorating Processing Times and Periodic Maintenance. International Journal of Operational Research, 32(3), 267–289.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Translational Health Research Award, TXST Health Scholar Showcase. March 29, 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Early Career Award, Informs Minority Issues Forum (MIF). November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Selected for the National Hispanic Health Foundation (NHHF) PCORI Hispanic Patient-Centered Health Research Mentorship Program, National Hispanic Health Foundation. December 5, 2016 - July 15, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Selected to participate in the 2013 National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop, National Science Foundation (NSF). 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: George W. Kunze Prize, Texas A&M University. 2010
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal), Mendez, Francis A (Co-Principal). Ensuring an Accessible Trauma System in Texas, Texas State University, $30000. (Funded: September 1, 2019 - August 30, 2020). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). RAPID: Identification and Analysis of Key Dynamics Required for Sustainable Operations of Texas Food Banks after Hurricane Disasters, National Science Foundation, Federal, $50000. (Submitted: October 20, 2017, Funded: January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). Identifying System Factors of Significance in Improving Communication Between Providers and, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Program, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $50000. (Submitted: May 2016, Funded: September 2016 - August 2017). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). EAGER-DynamicData: Data-Driven Operation and Maintenance of Wind Energy Systems under Uncertainty, National Science Foundation (NSF), Private / Foundation / Corporate, $30000. (Submitted: September 12, 2014, Funded: September 1, 2015 - August 31, 2016). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Co-Principal). Joint Study for a Data-Intensive Analysis of the NEC In-Vehicle Passenger Detection System - Phase II, NEC America, $44600.06. (Funded: March 3, 2016 - April 30, 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Vice President of Programs
Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (Informs)-Minorities Issues Forum
October 22, 2017-Present
Undergraduate OR Prize Committee
Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (Informs)
January 2019-December 2019
Coordinator / Organizer
Official Track co-chair for the Healthcare Systems Track of the “2019 IISE Conference”
August 2018-May 2019
Coordinator / Organizer
Official Track co-chair for the Future of Simulation Track of the “2017 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC)”
January 2017-December 2017
Reviewer / Referee