Faculty Profile for Dr. Eduardo Perez
Biography and EducationDr. Eduardo Pérez is an Associate Professor in the Ingram School of Engineering at Texas State University. He was a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering at Texas A&M University from 2010 to 2012. He received his Ph.D. in Industrial and Systems Engineering from Texas A&M University in 2010 and his B.S. in Industrial Engineering from the University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, Puerto Rico in 2004. Dr. Pérez research interests are in the use of methodologies and theories in operations research, systems engineering, discrete-event simulation, algorithms and software design, and decision theory analysis to solve problems in healthcare and renewable energy. Some of his research project sponsors include the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), the National Science Foundation (NSF), Baylor Scott & White Health System, Adventist Health System, and the NEC Corporation. Dr. Eduardo Pérez is a member of the Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), the Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS), and the Society for Computer Simulation International (SCS). He received his Engineering-In-Training (EIT) certification in 2004. He is the director of the Integrated Modeling and Optimization for Service Systems (iMOSS) research laboratory. His works have been published in multiple journals including IIE Transactions, IIE Transactions on Healthcare Systems Engineering, Simulation, Healthcare Management Sciences, and Computers and Operations Research.
Research Interests-Optimal decision policies for system configuration and resource allocation
-Health care systems engineering and analysis of patient flow
-Reliability analysis and maintenance decisions for wind energy systems
-Discrete event modeling and simulation
-Systems modeling and systems engineering processes
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Perez, E., *Ambati, R. R., & Ruiz-Torres, A. J. (2018). Maximizing the Percentage of On-Time Jobs with Sequence Dependent Deteriorating Processing Times and Periodic Maintenance. International Journal of Operational Research, 32(3), 267–289.
- Alvarado, M. M., Cotton, T. G., Ntaimo, L., & Perez, E. (2018). Modeling and Simulation of Oncology Clinic Operations in Discrete Event System Specifications. SIMULATION, 94(2), 105–121. https://doi.org/10.1177/0037549717708246
- *Anandhan, V., Perez, E., & Novoa, C. M. (n.d.). A Simulation based Planning Methodology for Decreasing Patient Waiting Times in Pure Walk-in Clinics. International Journal of Information Systems in the Service Sector (IJISSS).
- *Reese, H., *Anandhan, V., Perez, E., & Novoa, C. M. (2017). Improving Patient Waiting Time at a Pure Walk-In Clinic. In Proceedings of the 2017 Winter Simulation Conference (pp. 2764–2773). Las Vegas, NV.
- Perez, E. (2017). Integrating Mathematical Optimization in DEVS for Nuclear Medicine Patient and Resource Scheduling. In Proceedings of the 2017 Winter Simulation Conference (pp. 398–407). Las Vegas, NV.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Early Career Award, Informs Minority Issues Forum (MIF). November 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Selected for the National Hispanic Health Foundation (NHHF) PCORI Hispanic Patient-Centered Health Research Mentorship Program, National Hispanic Health Foundation. December 5, 2016 - July 15, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Selected to participate in the 2013 National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Proposal Writing Workshop, National Science Foundation (NSF). 2013
- Award / Honor Recipient: George W. Kunze Prize, Texas A&M University. 2010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Sloan Scholarship. 2005
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). RAPID: Identification and Analysis of Key Dynamics Required for Sustainable Operations of Texas Food Banks after Hurricane Disasters, National Science Foundation, Federal, $50000. (Submitted: October 20, 2017, Funded: January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). Identifying System Factors of Significance in Improving Communication Between Providers and, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Program, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $50000. (Submitted: May 2016, Funded: September 2016 - August 2017). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). Minimizing Patient Waiting Time at Live Oak Walk-In Care: A Simulation Study, Central Texas Medical Center, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $15000. (Submitted: February 2016, Funded: July 2016 - January 2017). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Principal). The E-puck, a Robot Educational Tool for Engineering, Teaching and Learning Technology Innovation Grant, $5000.00. (Submitted: May 2016, Funded: June 2016 - May 2017). Grant.
- Perez, Eduardo (Co-Principal). Joint Study for a Data-Intensive Analysis of the NEC In-Vehicle Passenger Detection System - Phase II, NEC America, $44600.06. (Funded: March 3, 2016 - April 30, 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Informs-Minorities Issues Forum
October 22, 2017-Present
Coordinator / Organizer
Official Track co-chair for the Healthcare Systems Track of the “2019 IISE Conference”
August 2018-May 2019
Coordinator / Organizer
Official Track co-chair for the Future of Simulation Track of the “2017 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC)”
January 2017-December 2017
Reviewer / Referee
December 1, 2018-Present