Faculty Profile for Dr. Tongdan Jin
Biography and EducationTongdan Jin is an Associate Professor in The Ingram School of Engineering at Texas State University. Prior to 2006, he has 5-year industry reliability and quality management experience in Teradyne Inc., Boston. He has published over 100 technical papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, including IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Renewable Energy journal, and European Journal and Operational Research. He is the receipt of the best paper awards in Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference 2013 and Annual Reliability and Maintainability Symposium 2014. His research is sponsored by NSF, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Department of Education, and Texas Center for Border Economic and Enterprise Development. He has advised and co-advised more than 13 graduate students including two PhD students. Currently he also serves as the Industrial Engineering Program Coordinator.
Teaching InterestsProbability, Statistics, supply chain, power system, reliability and quality
Research Interests1) Low-carbon and sustainable manufacturing
2) Product and service integration
3) System reliability modeling and optimization
4) Renewable and Microgrid integration
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Novoa, C. M., Runsewe, T., & Jin, T. (n.d.). Stochastic Model for Planning Distributed Wind Generation using Climate Analytics. In IISE Annual Research Conference (pp. 1–6).
- Pham, A., Jin, T., Novoa, C. M., & Qin, J. (n.d.). A Multi-Site Production and Microgrid Planning Model for Net-Zero Energy Operations. International Journal of Production Economics, 1–39.
- Jin, T., Mai, N., Ding, Y., Vo, L., & Dawud, R. (2018). Planning for distribution resilience under variable generation: Prevention, surviving and recovery. In 2018 IEEE Annual Green Technologies Conference.
- Pham, A., Jin, T., Novoa, C. M., & Temponi, C. C. (2018). A Prosumerism Approach to Production-Inventory Planning under Bi-directional Energy Flow. In International Conference on Information Systems, Logistics and Supply Chain (ILS 2018) (pp. 1–8).
- Zhang, X., Kang, J., Bajrić, R., & Jin, T. (2018). Gearbox Fault Diagnosis based on Fast Empirical Mode Decomposition and Correlated Kurtosis. In Engineering Asset Management (pp. 351–362). Gewerbestrasse 11, 6330 Cham, Switzerland: Spinger.
- Award / Honor Recipient: William A.J. Golomski best paper award. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certificate of “Serving the QCRE Board of ISREC Conference”, Quality Control and Reliability Engineering Board. 2014 - 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Evans-McElroy best conference paper award, RAMS 2014. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Greening Texas Grid for Winning USDA Grant, The Marketing Department of Texas State University. 2014
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best paper award in Quality Control and Reliability Engineering Track in ISERC Conference. 2013
- Zakhidov, Alexander (Principal), Beall, Gary W, Mix, Kenneth D, Miyahara, Yoichi, Jin, Tongdan. Practical Flexible Solar Cells, MWI. Team Solar-Flex, Texas State University, $10000. (Submitted: March 8, 2019). Grant.
- Jin, Tongdan (Principal), Novoa, Clara M (Co-Principal). ME-GREEN: Manufacturing for Environment by Generating Renewable Energy in Enterprise Networks, NSF, Federal, $199000. (Submitted: October 16, 2016, Funded: July 2017 - June 2020). Grant.
- Jin, Tongdan (Principal). Integrating Design for Reliability and After-Sales Services in Green Energy Era, TxState Faculty Development Leave Program, $12000. (Submitted: 2014). Grant.
- Jin, Tongdan (Principal), Asiabanpour, Bahram (Co-Principal), Aslan, Semih (Co-Principal), Jimenez, Jesus (Co-Principal), Mendez, Francis A (Co-Principal), Qasem, Apan Muhammad (Co-Principal), Romanella, S (Co-Principal), Stern, Harold P (Co-Principal), Tate, Jitendra S (Co-Principal). Developing high school students curiosity in science and technology in Capstone Design Days, Halliburton Foundation, Private / Foundation / Corporate, $8600. (Funded: September 2014 - May 2015). Grant.
- Jin, Tongdan (Principal), Stern, H. (Co-Principal), Aslan, S. (Co-Principal), Asiabanpour, B. (Co-Principal), Tate, J. (Co-Principal), Romanella, S. (Co-Principal), Jimenez, J. (Co-Principal), Novoa, C. (Co-Principal), Qasem, A. (Co-Principal), Méndez, F. (Co-Principal). Developing High School Students’ Curiosity in Science and Technology in Capstone Design Days, Halliburton Foundation, $8600. (Funded: September 1, 2014 - May 31, 2015). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
IE Program Coordinator
August 25, 2018-Present
January 1, 2017-Present
Personnel Committee of Ingram School of Engineering
Program Committee Member
Conference Committee of ICQ2RMS
Reliability Engineering education and research program sponsored by American Society for Quality