Faculty Profile for Dr. John Schemmel
Biography and EducationDr. John Schemmel is the Bruce and Gloria Ingram Endowed Chair in Engineering in the School of Engineering at Texas State University. He also serves as the Program Coordinator for Civil Engineering. Previously Dr. Schemmel served as Director of the Concrete Industry Management (CIM) program at Texas State as well as being on the faculty at the University of Arkansas, South Dakota State University, and Valparaiso University. John holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Wisconsin, a Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering from Lehigh University, and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from North Carolina State University.
Teaching InterestsInfrastructure Materials
Mechanics of Materials
Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete Design
Highway Bridge Design
Research InterestsTechnology Enhanced (Smart) Infrastructure
Infrastructure Materials Characterization
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Schemmel, J. J., Kolba, T., Salguero, M., & West, M. (2018). Sampling Concrete from a Revolving Drum Truck Mixer. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, 46(6), 2459–2469. https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20160514
- Schemmel, P., Schemmel, J. J., & Humphries, E. D. (2018). Technology Enhanced Infrastructure. In Smart Cities: Applications, Technologies, Standards, and Driving Factors (pp. 209–233). Cham, Switzerland: Springer Internation. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-59381-4_13
- Schemmel, J. J., Kolba, T., & Fedde, J. (n.d.). Impact of an Inclined Work Surface on the Measured Slump of Concrete. Journal of Testing and Evaluation. https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20160430
- Schemmel, P., Schemmel, J. J., & Humphries, E. D. (2017). Using Smart Sensors to Monitor Concrete Infrastructure Assets for Useful Life Prediction Modelling (pp. 29–32). IARIA. Retrieved from http://www.thinkmind.org/index.php?view=article&articleid=icdt_2017_2_30_18003
- Schemmel, J. J., & Aljobeh, Z. (2013, May). Acid Soluble Sulfur in Slag Aggregates for Concrete. National Slag Association and United States Steel Corporation.
- Award / Honor Recipient: C9 Honoary Committee Member, ASTM International. June 27, 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Certification Award, American Concrete Institute. 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Continuing Professional Development Division Best Paper Award, ASEE. 2003
- Award / Honor Recipient: Annul Conference Best Paper, ASEE. 1999
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fellow, American Concrete Institute. 1999
- Schemmel, John Joseph. Kempf Engineering Curriculum Development Award. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
- Theodoropoulou, Nikoleta (Co-Principal), Schemmel, John (Co-Principal), Ameri, Farhad (Principal), Lee, Young Ju (Co-Principal), Ojeda-Ruiz, Ivan (Co-Principal). Technology Enhanced Analysis of Materials, CoSearch 2019 - Materials with Intelligence, Texas State University, $2000. (Submitted: March 3, 2019, Funded: September 2019 - September 2020). Grant.
- Aguayo, Federico Macias, Schemmel, John Joseph (Co-Principal), Humphries, Evan Diane (Co-Principal). Use of Rapid Setting Hydraulic Cement (RSHC) for Structural Applications, Texas Department of Transportation, State, $465000. (Submitted: March 2019, Funded: July 2019 - August 31, 2022). Grant.
- Wang, Feng (Principal), Dong, Zhijie (Co-Principal), Luo, Xiaohua (Co-Principal), Schemmel, John Joseph (Supporting), Humphries, Evan Diane (Supporting). Texas National Summer Transportation Institute, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Federal, $43227.32. (Submitted: June 2019, Funded: June 2019 - October 2019). Grant.
- Schemmel, John Joseph (Principal). An Analysis of the Sampling Requirements in ASTM C172, Richardson Summer Research Grant, College of Engineering, Valparaiso University, $5000. (Funded: May 2013 - August 2013). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Staff Search Committee - Coord, Microcomputer Lab II
Contributor and Presentor
Civil Engineering Information Session
February 8, 2019-Present
Faculty Search Committee - Ast. Professor, Environmental Engineering
Faculty Search Committee - Ast. Professor, Structural Engineering
Marketing handouts and video for the civil engineering program
January 1, 2019-Present