Faculty Profile for Dr. Farhad Ameri
Biography and EducationFarhad Ameri received his doctoral degree in Manufacturing Engineering from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor in 2006 and served as a Postdoctoral Scholar at Clemson University from 2007 to 2008 in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He holds B.S and M.S degrees in Industrial Engineering. He is currently an Associate Professor of Manufacturing Engineering and Technology and the director of Engineering Technology program in the Department of Engineering Technology at Texas State University and the head of Engineering Informatics (INFONEER) research group. His research is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Dr. Ameri’s papers are published in journals such as ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, International Journal of Advanced Engineering Informatics, Research in Engineering Design, and Computer-Aided Design and Applications. He is a member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME).
Teaching InterestsAutomation and Robotics, Manufacturing Systems, Engineering Design, Senior Design, Design of Experiments
Research InterestsDesign Theory and Methodology, Engineering Informatics, Ontology Engineering, Machine Learning, Knowledge-based Engineering, Distributed Design and Manufacturing, Additive Manufacturing, Design and Manufacturing Automation, Agent-based Technology, Supplier Discovery, Smart Manufacturing, Service-oriented Manufacturing, Product Lifecycle Management.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Sabbagh, R., Ameri, F., & Yoder, R. (2018). A Thesaurus-guided Text Analytics Technique for Capability-based Classification of Manufacturing Suppliers. ASME Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering (JCISE), 18(3).
- Ameri, F., Karray, H., & Hodkiewicz, M. (n.d.). ROMAIN: Towards a BFO compliant Reference Ontology for Industrial Maintenance. Applied Ontology.
- Rami, & Sabbagh, R. (2018). Supplier Clustering Based on Unstructured Manufacturing Capability Data. ASME.
- Ameri, F., & Yoder, R. (2018, January). Manufacturing Capability Modelling for Digital Factory.
- Arena, D., Ameri, F., & Kiritsis, D. (2018). Skill modelling for digital factories. In IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology (Vol. 536, pp. 318–326). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-99707-0_40
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Research Award for Developmental Leave. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Best Peper Award, ASME CIE Conference. August 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alpha Chai National Honor Society. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Achievement Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities, College of Science and Engineering. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduating Student Recognition. 2009 - 2015
- Ameri, Farhad. Ontological Approach to Manufacturing Capability Modeling and Quantification” Project Title: Capability Modeling for Digital Factories (CaMDiF), Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Instituite (DMDII), Federal, $147208. (Funded: January 2017 - July 2018). Grant.
- Ameri, Farhad. A methodology for collaborative ontology development for service-oriented manufacturing enterprises, NIST, National Institute of Standard and Technology (NIST), Engineering Laboratory Grants Program,, $235913. (Funded: October 2014 - November 2018). Grant.
- Ameri, Farhad. Collaborative Research: Measuring the information contents of design artifacts in early design, National Science Foundation (NSF), Federal, $270031. (Funded: August 13, 2013 - September 16, 2017). Grant.
- Ameri, Farhad. AIST Grant supporting Steel Industry Day, $3179. (Funded: April 2017). Grant.
- Ameri, Farhad. Designing wrist splint for TFCC injuries, $800. (Funded: February 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Engineering Technology Program
Advances in Production Management Systems (APMS) Conference
September 2018-September 2019
College of Science and Engineering Curriculum Committee
Departmental Curriculum Committee
Department Personnel Committee