Faculty Profile for Dr. Cynthia J Luxford
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Lewis, K. A., & Luxford, C. J. (2020). Integrating Manipulatives and Animations to Visualize Holliday Junctions. CourseSource, 7. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.24918/cs.2020.37
- Trate, J., Teichert, M., Murphy, K., Srinivasan, S., Luxford, C. J., & Schneider, J. (2020). Remote Interview Methods in Chemical Education Research. Journal of Chemical Education, 97, 2421–2429. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jchemed.0c00680
- Daniel, K. L., & Luxford, C. J. (n.d.). Building your personal pitch using a message framework. In Science + SciComm + Work: Effective Communication in Science Programs. A Practical Guide for Students and Teachers. Springer.
- Luxford, C. J., & Holme, T. (2016). How do Chemistry Educators View Items that Test Conceptual Understanding? In M. Schultz (Ed.), Technology and Assessment Strategies for Improving Student Learning in Chemistry (Vol. 1235, pp. 195–210). San Marcos, United States: American Chemical Society. https://doi.org/10.1021/bk-2016-1235.ch011
- Reed, J. J., Luxford, C. J., Holme, T., Raker, J. R., & Murphy, K. L. (2016). Using the ACS Anchoring Concepts Content Map (ACCM) to aid in the evaluation and development of ACS general chemistry exam items. In M. Schultz (Ed.), Technology and Assessment Strategies for Improving Student Learning in Chemistry (Vol. 1235, pp. 179–194). Washington, DC: American Chemical Society. https://doi.org/10.1021/bk-2016-1235.ch010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Teaching, College of Science and Engineering, Texas State University. 2021
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2020 Teaching Award of Honor, Texas State University Alumni Association. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: College Achievement Award for Excellence in Service, College of Science and Engineering, Texas State University. 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Commendable Award, Student Chapter of the American Chemical Society. 2020
- Award / Honor Nominee: Chem and Biochem Department Nominee for Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching. 2019
- Galloway, Heather C, Close, Eleanor W, Olmstead, Alice R, Luxford, Cynthia J, Feng, Li. Building Capacity: Creating Faculty-Student Communities for Culturally Relevant Institutional Change, National Science Foundation, Federal, $2499933. (Submitted: March 6, 2019, Funded: October 1, 2019 - September 30, 2024). Grant.
- Savelyev, Alexander, Daniel, Kristy Lynn, Roundtree, Aimee Kendall, Luxford, Cynthia J. Visual Education and Communication Across Science Domains, Texas State University, $2500. (Funded: June 2017 - August 2019). Grant.
- Schneider, Jamie (Principal), Luxford, Cynthia J (Co-Principal), Murphy, Kristen (Co-Principal), Teichert, Melonie (Co-Principal). Research on Optimizing Testing Feedback for Improved Student Learning, NSF IUSE (Informing Undergraduate STEM Education), Federal, $498483. (Submitted: January 12, 2016, Funded: September 1, 2016 - August 31, 2020). Grant.
- Close, Hunter G (Co-Principal), Close, Eleanor W (Principal), Huling, Leslie L (Co-Principal), Ortiz, Araceli Martinez (Co-Principal), Luxford, Cynthia J (Co-Principal). Responsive, Attentive, Dialogic, and InterActive Noyce Scholars Project, National Science Foundation, Federal, $1200000. (Funded: June 1, 2016 - May 31, 2021). Grant.
- Luxford, Cynthia J. Comparing short-term and long-term learning effects on the retention of chemistry students as they progress through a chemistry curriculum, Research Enhancement Program, Texas State University, $8000. (Funded: January 1, 2016 - August 31, 2017). Grant.