Faculty Profile for Dr. Alexander Vladimir Kornienko
Biography and EducationPostdoctoral Fellowship, Université de Montréal, Canada (Prof. Stephen Hanessian), 1999–2001
Ph.D. in Chemistry, Tufts University, Boston, USA (Prof. Marc d’Alarcao) 1994–1999
B.S in Chemical Engineering, Mendeleev University, Moscow, Russia, 1989–1994
Research InterestsSynthetic Organic Chemistry (total synthesis and methodology)
Chemical Biology (focus on cancer signaling and death pathways)
Medicinal Chemistry (rational drug design and library screening)
Natural Product Chemistry (isolation, structure elucidation and analogue synthesis)
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- KORNIENKO, A., De La Chapa, J., Singha, P., Sallaway, M., Self, K., Nasreldin, R., … Gonzales, C. (2018). Novel polygodial analogs P3 and P27: Efficacious therapeutic agents disrupting mitochondrial function in oral squamous cell carcinoma. International Journal of Oncology, 53, 2627–2636.
- KORNIENKO, A., Edwards, L., Turner, D., Champion, C., Khandelwal, M., Zingler, K., … Rogelj, S. (2018). Photoactivated 2,3-distyrilindoles kill multi-drug resistant bacteria. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 28, 1879–1886.
- KORNIENKO, A., Garcia, D., Goncalves-de-Albuquerque, C., da Silva, C., Kiss, R., Dasari, R., … Burth, P. (2018). Effect of polygodial and its direct derivatives on the mammalian Na+/K+-ATPase activity. European Journal of Pharmacology, 831, 1–8.
- KORNIENKO, A., Dasari, S., Samy, A., Narvekar, P., Dontaraju, V., Dasari, R., & Munirathinam, G. (2018). Polygodial analog induces apoptosis in LNCaP prostate cancer cells. European Journal of Pharmacology, 828, 154–162.
- KORNIENKO, A., Govindaraju, K., Ingels, A., Hasan, M., Sun, D., Mathieu, V., … Evidente, A. (2018). Synthetic analogues of the montanine-type alkaloids with activity against apoptosis-resistant cancer cells. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 28, 589–593.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Scholarly/Creative Activities, President. January 31, 2016 - August 25, 2016
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir, Hudnall, Todd (Principal). A Radical Approach to Photodynamic Therapy for the Non-invasive Treatment of Skin and Colorectal Cancers, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018). Grant.
- Du, Liqin (Principal), Kornienko, Alexander (Other), Houhgton, Peter (Other). Discovery of new differentiation agents for neuroblastoma therapy, National Institute of Health, NCI, Federal, $461574. (Submitted: October 25, 2016, Funded: August 1, 2017 - July 31, 2020). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir (Principal), Romo (Co-Principal), Rhotago=i (Co-Principal). Mode of Action of the Amaryllidaceae Alkaloid Lycorine-Promising Anticancer Agent, NIH/NCI/AREA – CA186046-01A1, $475518. (Funded: July 15, 2014 - June 30, 2017). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir (Principal). C-H Functionalization Directed by Transformable Nitrogen Heterocycles, TSU Office of Research and Development - REP, Texas State University, $3386. (Funded: January 14, 2014 - March 31, 2015). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir (Principal), Rogelj, Sneza (Co-Principal). Chemical Biology and Screening Collaborative Core, NIH/NCRR/INBRE - RR016480, $1505000. (Funded: May 1, 2009 - February 28, 2014). Grant.