Faculty Profile for Dr. Alexander Vladimir Kornienko
Biography and EducationPostdoctoral Fellowship, Université de Montréal, Canada (Prof. Stephen Hanessian), 1999–2001
Ph.D. in Chemistry, Tufts University, Boston, USA (Prof. Marc d’Alarcao) 1994–1999
B.S in Chemical Engineering, Mendeleev University, Moscow, Russia, 1989–1994
Research InterestsSynthetic Organic Chemistry (total synthesis and methodology)
Chemical Biology (focus on cancer signaling and death pathways)
Medicinal Chemistry (rational drug design and library screening)
Natural Product Chemistry (isolation, structure elucidation and analogue synthesis)
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Reisenauer, K. N., Tao, Y. F., Das, P., Song, S. X., Svatek, H., D, P. S., … Taube, J. (2021). Epithelial-mesenchymal transition sensitizes breast cancer cells to cell death via the fungus-derived sester-terpenoid ophiobolin A. Scientific Reports, 11(10652).
- Wagh, S. B., Maslivetc, V., La Clair, J. J., & Kornienko, A. V. (2021). Lessons in organic fluorescent probe discovery. ChemBioChem, 22, 1–32.
- Aksenov, A. V., Arutiunov, N. A., Kirilov, N. K., Aksenov, D. A., Yu, G. I., Aksenov, N. A., … Rubin, M. (2021). [3+2]-Annulation of pyridinium ylides with 1-chloro-2-nitrostyrenes unveils a tubulin polymerization in-hibitor. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 19, 7234–7245.
- Aksenov, A. V., Arutiunov, N. A., Kirilov, N. K., Aksenov, D. A., Grishin, I. Y., Aksenov, N. A., … Rubin, M. (2021). [3+2]-Annulation of pyridinium ylides with 1-chloro-2-nitrostyrenes unveils a tubulin polymerization inhibitor. Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry, 19, 7234.
- Turner, D., Edwards, L., Kornienko, A. V., Frolova, L., & Rogelj, S. (2020). Synergistic action of substituted indole derivatives and clinically used antibiotics against drug-resistant bacteria. Future Microbiology, ahead of print.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Holder of Denise M. Trauth Endowed Presidential Research Professorship, Texas State University. 2021 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Scholarly/Creative Activities, President. January 31, 2016 - August 25, 2016
- Du, Liqin (Principal), Kornienko, Alexander (Other), Houhgton, Peter (Other). Discovery of new differentiation agents for neuroblastoma therapy, National Institute of Health, NCI, R15, resubmissiom, Federal, $461574. (Funded: August 1, 2017 - July 31, 2020). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir (Co-Principal), Romo, Daniel (Principal). Pharmacophore-Directed Retrosynthesis Applied to Bioactive Natural Products Informing Mechanism of Action Studies, National Institutes of Health, Federal, $1422000. (Submitted: February 5, 2019, Funded: January 1, 2020 - December 31, 2024). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir (Principal), La Clair, James (Co-Principal). Tandem Discovery of Drug Leads and Targets via Paal-Knorr reaction, National Institutes of Health, Federal, $374000. (Funded: September 1, 2019 - August 31, 2021). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir (Principal), Sun, Dandan (Co-Principal). Acid-Sensitive Glioblastoma Prodrugs Derived from Ophiobolin A, National Institutes of Health, Federal, $461764. (Funded: February 1, 2019 - January 31, 2022). Grant.
- Kornienko, Alexander Vladimir, Hudnall, Todd (Principal). A Radical Approach to Photodynamic Therapy for the Non-invasive Treatment of Skin and Colorectal Cancers, Texas State University, $16000. (Submitted: October 2017, Funded: January 1, 2018 - December 31, 2018). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Current Pharmaceutical Design
Editorial Review Board Member
August 28, 2019-Present
Departmental Safety Committee
Outstanding Master's Thesis Award Committee
Pre-Med/pre-Dent Review Panel