Faculty Profile for Dr. Benjamin Martin
Research InterestsLow temperature synthesis and post-synthesis structural modification
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Laipan, M., Xiang, L., Yu, J., Martin, B., Zhu, R., Zhu, J., … Sun, L. (2020). Layered intercalation compounds: Mechanisms, new methodologies, and advanced applications. Progress in Materials Science, 109, 100631. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2019.100631
- Yu, J., Ding, H., Lampron, J., Martin, B., Clearfield, A., & Sun, L. (2020). Complexing Agent Directed Growth of α-Zirconium Phosphate-Based Hexagonal Prisms. Inorganic Chemistry, 59(2), 1204–1210. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.inorgchem.9b02929
- England, C. J., Gray, T. C., Malla, S. R. L. R., Oliveira, S. A., Martin, B. R., Beall, G. W., & Lewis, L. K. (2020). pH-dependent sedimentation of DNA in the presence of divalent, but not monovalent, metal ions. Analytical Biochemistry, 616, 114099.
- Yu, J., Xiang, L., Martin, B., Clearfield, A., & Sun, L. (2015). Direct growth of layered intercalation compounds via single step one-pot in-situ synthesis. Chemical Communications, 51, 11398–11400.
- Yu, J., Martin, B., Clearfield, A., Luo, Z., & Sun, L. (2015). One-step direct synthesis of layered double hydroxide single layer nanosheets. Nanoscale, 7, 9448–9451.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Science and Engineering Presidential Distinction Award for Excellence in Service. 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2017 College Achievement Award for Excellence in Teaching. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alfred H Nolle Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Runner Up: College of Science and Engineering Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University. 2016
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. 2015
- Betancourt, Tania (Principal), Brittain, William J (Co-Principal), Irvin, Jennifer A (Co-Principal), Theodoropoulou, Nikoleta (Co-Principal), Martin, Benjamin (Co-Principal), Rhodes, Christopher Peter (Co-Principal), Wistey, Mark A (Co-Principal), Miyahara, Yoichi (Co-Principal), Kerwin, Sean Michael (Co-Principal). TxState-UT PREM Center for Intelligent Materials Assembly (CIMA), National Science Foundation, Federal, $3822000. (Funded: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2027). Grant.
- Martin, Benjamin R (Principal). Solid State Laser Synthesis, Texas State Universtiy, Texas State University, $8000. (Submitted: November 2020, Funded: January 2021 - December 2021). Grant.
- Martin, Ben (Principal), Silva, Jesse (Co-Principal). The Development and Implementation of Bias-Related Event Reporting System, a Project in Support of Texas State's Diversity and Inclusion Plan, Texas State University, Texas State University, $5000. (Funded: September 2018 - Present). Grant.
- Brittain, Bill (Principal), Martin, Benjamin (Co-Principal). Texas State University PREM: Center on Interfaces in Materials. A Partnership with the Research Triangle MRSEC, National Science Foundation, $85000. (Funded: June 1, 2012 - May 31, 2017). Grant.
- Feakes, Debra A (Co-Principal), Martin, Benjamin (Principal). MRI: Acquisition of a Cyber-enabled Benchtop Single Crystal X-Ray Diffractometer For Small Molecule Structure Analysis for Research and Educational Purposes, National Science Foundation, $124880. (Funded: August 1, 2008 - July 31, 2009). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Reviewer / Referee
NSF Division of Materials Research, Non-Oxide Materials
Managing Textbook Costs Committee
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Non-tenure Line Committee
Council for Inclusive Excellence
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry