Faculty Profile for Dr. Bill Brittain
Biography and EducationBill Brittain holds a PhD in chemistry from Caltech. The sequence of positions he has held since postdoctoral work at Duke include: DuPont Central Research, University of Akron Polymer Science Department, Vice President Research at Bausch & Lomb, Program Officer at National Science Foundation and my current position at Texas State University
Teaching Interestschemistry for non-science majors, supramolecular chemistry and advanced organic
Research Interestsphotoactive organic compounds including synthesis, characterization and incorporation into hybrid systems.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Rastogi, S. K., Anderson, H. E., Lamas, J., Cantu, T., Zauscher, S., Brittain, W. J., & Betancourt, T. (2018). Enhanced Release of Molecules upon Ultraviolet (UV) Light Irradiation from Photoresponsive Hydrogels Prepared from Bifunctional Azobenzene and Four-Arm Poly(ethylene glycol). ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 10, 30071–30080. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b16183
- Brittain, W. J., Rastogi, S. K., & Zauscher, S. (2018). The enduring utility of azobenzene as a photocontrol unit in hybrid macromolecular systems. In ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY (Vol. 256).
- Brittain, W. J., Rastogi, S. K., Rogers, R. A., & Rinaldi, P. (2018). Phenyl rotation barrier in Z-azobenzene: A physical organic problem in honor of JDR. JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL ORGANIC CHEMISTRY, 31(8). https://doi.org/10.1002/poc.3847
- Rastogi, S. K., Zhao, Z., Barrett, S. L., Shelton, S. D., Zafferani, M., Anderson, H. E., … Brittain, W. J. (2018). Photoresponsive azo-combretastatin A-4 analogues. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY, 143, 1–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.11.012
- Barbee, M. H., Kouznetsova, T., Barrett, S. L., Gossweiler, G. R., Lin, Y., Rastogi, S. K., … Craig, S. L. (2018). Substituent Effects and Mechanism in a Mechanochemical Reaction. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, 140(40), 12746–12750. https://doi.org/10.1021/jacs.8b09263
- Award / Honor Recipient: ACS POLY Fellow, American Chemical Society Polymer Chemistry Division. March 2010
- Award / Honor Recipient: Distinguished Service, American Chemical Society Polymer Chemistry Division. April 2002
- Award / Honor Recipient: Outstanding Researcher of the Year, University of Akron. 2001
- Award / Honor Recipient: Elected Chair of ACS Polymer Chemistry Division, American Chemical Society Polymer Chemistry Division. January 1, 2001 - December 31, 2001
- Award / Honor Recipient: GenCorp Signature Research Award. 1997
- Brittain, William J. $2.1M Extramural Support from University of Akron (1990-2006), $2115000. (Funded: 2006). Grant.
- Brittain, William J. Supplemental Funding to Organize 2017 PREM Director's Meeting, Nattional Science Foundation, Federal, $50000. (Funded: August 2017 - March 2018). Grant.
- Brittain, William J. Sixth Year Supplement to PREM Center: Interfaces in Materials, National Science Foundation, Federal, $200000. (Funded: June 1, 2017 - October 1, 2018). Grant.
- Brittain, William J (Principal), , = (Co-Principal), Rhodes, Christopher Peter (Co-Principal), Betancourt, Tania (Co-Principal), Zakhidov, Alexander (Co-Principal). MRI: Acquisition of Atomic Force Microscope to Advance Texas State University Materials Research, National Science Foundation, Federal, $104476. (Funded: September 1, 2016 - August 31, 2019). Grant.
- Brittain, William J. Supplement Support for 2016 PREM Student Research Conference, National Science Foundation, Federal, $15000. (Funded: May 2016 - July 2016). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
University Safety Committee
Texas State Distinguished Professor Committee
Texas State Involvement at SACNAS National Meeting in San Antonio
panel member and site visitor
NSF Science and Technology Centers
Symposium on “Polymers in Organized Assemblies"