Faculty Profile for Dr. Astrid Nadine Schwalb
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Dascher, E., Burlakova, L. E., Karatayey, A. Y., Ford, D., & Schwalb, A. N. (2018). Distribution of unionid freshwater mussels and host fishes in Texas. A study of broad scale spatial patterns across basins and a strong climate gradient. Hydrobiologia, 810, 315–331.
- Trombley, C. A., Hardy, T. B., & Schwalb, A. N. (2018). Disturbance-driven changes in fish assemblages caused by a sudden increase in salinity in a perennial desert stream. Environmental Biology of Fishes, 101, 791–798.
- Olson, J., Robertson, J., Swannack, T. M., McMahon, R. F., Nowlin, W. H., & Schwalb, A. N. (2018). Dispersal of zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha) downstream of an invaded lake. Aquatic Invasions, 13, 199–209.
- Mitchell, Z., McGuire, J., Abel, J., Hernandez, B., & Schwalb, A. (2018). Can life history strategies of freshwater mussels predict their physiological and behavioral responses to drought and dewatering? Freshwater Biology, 63, 1579–1591.
- Schwalb, A. N., Rodriguez, D., Barnhart, C., Harding, S., Hardy, T., Hernandez, B., … Seagroves, A. (n.d.). Evaluating the Effectiveness of Freshwater Mussel Mitigation Strategies - Final Report. Texas Department of Transportation.
- Award / Honor Recipient: NABS President’s Award, North American Benthological Society. 2009
- Award / Honor Recipient: International Graduate Scholarship, University of Guelph. 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: NABS Graduate Student Conservation Research Award, North American Benthological Society. 2007
- Award / Honor Recipient: Graduation with distinction, University of Potsdam. 2004
- Schwalb, A N. Vertical migration of unionid mussel species in rivers of Central Texas, Research Enhancement Program, $8000. (Funded: 2015). Grant.
- Schwalb, A N (Co-Principal), Morris, T J (Principal). Investigating the early life stages of the Endangered Wavyrayed Lampmussel (Lampsilis fasciola), Fisheries and Oceans Canada's Species at Risk program (SARCEP) and Interdepartmental Recovery Fund, $70000. (Funded: 2008). Grant.
- Schwalb, A N (Principal), Swannack, T M (Co-Principal). Downstream dispersal, survival and growth of zebra mussels (Dressenia polymorpha) downstream of invaded Central Texas reservoirs, TPWD/USFWS, $97783. (Funded: 2018 - 2019). Grant.
- Schwalb, A N (Principal), Nowlin, W H (Co-Principal), Swannack, T M (Co-Principal). Dispersal of zebra mussels downstream of invaded reservoirs and assessing the impact of zebra mussels, TPWD/USFWS, $64149. (Funded: 2017 - 2018). Grant.
- Dutton, Jessica (Principal), Schwalb, Astrid Nadine (Co-Principal). The impact of environmental contaminants on Texas unionid mussels in the Guadalupe basin, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, State, $81915. (Funded: 2016 - 2019). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Member of the Conference Planning Committee for the 2019 meeting of the Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society in San Antonio.
Member of Faculty Search Committee-Aquatic Wetland/Plant Ecology, Department of Biology, Texas State
Reviewer for Texas Academy of Science student proposal