Faculty Profile for Dr. David Huffman
Biography and EducationPh.D. Zoology 1973 University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
M.S. Biology 1970 Marshall University, Huntington, WV
A.B. Biology 1968 West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV
Teaching InterestsScientific Method; (design and interpretation of experiments, critical thought);
Parasitology (taxonomy, natural history, pathology);
Ornithology (acoustic ID and ecology).
Research InterestsNatural history, pathology, ecology, and taxonomy of parasites of aquatic vertebrates; Invasive snails and their parasites; Marine relict, spring-dependent, and stygobitic parasites
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Worsham, M. L. D., Julius, E. P., Nice, C., Diaz, P. H., & Huffman, D. G. (2017). Geographic isolation facilitates the evolution of reproductive isolation and morphological divergence. Ecology and Evolution. Ecology and Evolution, 7(23). https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.3474
- Worsham, M. L., Huffman, D. G., & Gibson, J. R. (2016). The aquatic annelid fauna of the San Marcos River headsprings, Hays County, Texas. ZooKeys, 618, 1–14. https://doi.org/10.3897/zookeys.618.8560
- Worsham, M. L., Huffman, D. G., Moravec, F., & Gibson, J. R. (2016). The life cycle of Huffmanela huffmani Moravec, 1987 (Nematoda: Trichosomoididae), an endemic marine-relict parasite of Centrarchidae from a Central Texas spring. Folia Parasitologica, 63(020).
- Moore, A. M., Green, M. C., Huffman, D. G., & Simpson, T. R. (2016). Green Herons (Butorides virescens) in an urbanized landscape: Does recreational disturbance affect foraging behavior? American Midland Naturalist, 176(2), 222–233. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1674/0003-0031-176.2.222
- Cook-Hildreth, S. L., Bonner, T. H., & Huffman, D. G. (2016). Female reproductive biology of an exotic suckermouth armored catfish (Loricariidae) in the San Marcos River, Hays Co., Texas, with observations on environmental triggers. Bioinvasions Records, 5(3), 173–183. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.3391/bir.2016.5.3.09
- Award / Honor Recipient: Developmental Leave. 1993
- Award / Honor Recipient: Developmental Leave. 1986
- Award / Honor Recipient: Phi Sigma's Henry Van der Schalie National Research Medal, Phi Sigma. 1975
- Award / Honor Recipient: Phi Sigma Award for Meritorious Graduate Research, University of New Hampshire. 1973
- Award / Honor Recipient: Tuition Scholarship, University of New Hampshire. 1970
- Huffman, David G. Edwards Aquifer Authority, BioWest & USFWS SMARC. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Huffman, David G. Replacement of Ten Aging Laptops in Freeman Teaching Lab, $12340.00. (Funded: 2010). Grant.
- Huffman, David G (Co-Principal), Smith, Dan (Co-Principal). Replacement of Aging Computers in Freeman Teaching Lab and Supple Open Lab, $20848.00. (Funded: 2009). Grant.
- Huffman, David G. Replacement of 10 Aging Laptops and Podium Equipment in Freeman Teaching Lab, $18827.00. (Funded: 2008). Grant.
- Huffman, David G (Co-Principal), Weckerly, Butch (Co-Principal). Replacement of Obsolete Computing Equipment in Freeman Aquatic Biology Teaching Lab, $26869.00. (Funded: 2006). Grant.