Faculty Profile for Dr. Caitlin Gabor
Research InterestsI study the historical forces of natural and sexual selection on speciation in the unisexual-bisexual species complex of live bearing fish from a behavioral and physiological standpoint. I am also interested in predator-prey dynamics in aquatic systems. Additionally, I study physiological stress response to anthropogenic factors associated with amphibian decline.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Gabor, C., Roznick, E., Knutie, S., & Rohr, J. (2018). Negative effects of contaminants and disease on amphibians are not mediated by the stress hormone corticosterone, 186, 393–404. https://doi.org/doi: 10.1007/s00442-017-4020-3
- Gabor, C., Davis, D., Kim, D., Zabierek, K., & Bendik, N. (2017). Urbanization is associated with elevated corticosterone in Jollyville Plateau salamanders. Ecological Indicators, 85, 229–235. https://doi.org/doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2017.10.047
- Jaeger, R., Gollmann, B., Anthony, C., Gabor, C., & Kohn, N. (2016). Behavioral Ecology of the Eastern Red-backed Salamander: 50 Years of Research. Oxford University Press.
- Gabor, C. (2018). An Introduction to Behavioral Endocrinology. Fifth Edition by Randy J. Nelson and Lance J. Kriegsfeld. The Quarterly Review of Biology, 93(4), 382–383. https://doi.org/10.1086/700814
- Perkins, H., Heitmann, A., Aspbury, A., & Gabor, C. (2018). Synergistic effects of Roundup and corticosterone on antipredator responses of Incilius nebulifer tadpoles. In INTEGRATIVE AND COMPARATIVE BIOLOGY (Vol. 58, pp. E395--E395).
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Scholar, Hungarian Academy of Sciences. February 2019 - June 2019
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor, Alpha Chi at Texas State University. 2012
- Award / Honor Recipient: Fulbright Specialist Program award, Hungary. 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Award for Excellence in Scholarly/Creative Activities (Associate/Professor). 2015
- Award / Honor Recipient: Balassi Institute Scholarship, Hungary. 2014
- Gabor, Caitlin, Walls, Dr. Susan. Amphibian and Research and Monitoring Initiative, USGS ARMI, $317927. (Funded: 2014 - 2017). Grant.
- Gabor, Caitlin, Blake, Chelsea. NSF – GRFP, $132000. (Funded: 2013 - 2016). Grant.
- Gabor, Caitlin. The effects of urbanization on physiological stress of Jollyville Plateau salamanders, Eurycea tonkawae, USFWS State Wildlife Grant Program, $32716. (Funded: 2013 - 2014). Grant.
- Gabor, Caitlin, Gabor (Principal), Nice (Co-Principal), Aspbury (Co-Principal). The maintenance of unisexuality: Behavior, hormones, and genetic diversity in a unisexual-bisexual mating complex, NSF –IOS, Animal Behavior, $350000. (Funded: 2010 - 2014). Grant.
- Gabor, Caitlin. Ecolab, $5722. (Funded: 2017). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
President's Council for Women in Higher Education committee
College REview Group
Performing Arts Committee
Francis Rose Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Research