Faculty Profile for Dr. Christopher Jay Johnson
Biography and EducationDr. Johnson was Director of Gerontology for the Institute of Gerontology at the University of Louisiana for 27 years. He developed an award winning M.A. in Gerontology online there. Former Governor Foster of Louisiana awarded his degree the distinction of being one of the top academic programs in the state of Louisiana. He then retired from ULM and traveled to Scotland to teach for a year and a half in the Dementia Studies program at the University of Stirling in Scotland. After that he took the position of Clinical Professor of Sociology at Texas State University, helping to develop the nations first M.S. in Dementia and Aging Studies.
Teaching InterestsDementia Studies courses; End of Life Courses; Care Partnering and Dementia; Clinical Sociology and Aging.
Research InterestsAdvanced Dementia Care Partnering, Non Linear Models of Alzheimer's Disease as Time Travel; End of Life Care; Sociology of Religion Topics.
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Johnson, C. J., & Dietrich, D. R. (n.d.). The McDonaldization of Long Term Care in the United States. In M. K. Shankardass (Ed.), Dementia Care: Issues, Responses and International Perspectives. Sage.
- Johnson, C. J. (2019, January). Texas State Lauches first Master’s Program in Dementia and Aging Studies. Aging Today. Los Angeles, CA, USA: American Society on Aging.
- Johnson, C. J. (n.d.). Dementia Citizenship: The Need for Dementia and Gerontology Education in Hospice and Palliative Care. Hospice & Palliative Medicine International Journal, 2(6), 344–345.
- (2018). How Different Religions View Death and Afterlife 3rd edition. (C. j Johnson, Ed.). Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States: XanEdu Publishers. Retrieved from https://www.xanedu.com/higher-education/educators/custom-books-catalog/how-different-religions-view-death-and-afterlife/
- Johnson, C. J. (2017). Dementia at the End of Life and Family Partners: A Symbolic Interactionist Perspective on Communication. Behavioral Sciences, 7(3), 1–10. Retrieved from http://www.mdpi.com/search?q=Dementia+at+the+End+of+Life+and+Family+Partners%3A+A+Symbolic+Interactionist+Perspective+on+Communication&authors=&article_type=&journal=§ion=&special_issue=&volume=&issue=&number=&page=&search=Search
- Award / Honor Recipient: Favorite Professor Award, Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. August 2017 - Present
- Award / Honor Recipient: Recipient: Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Favorite Professor Award August 2018, Alpha Chi National College Honor Society. September 2020
- Award / Honor Recipient: Alfred H. Nolle Chapter of the Alpha Chi National College Honor Society, Favorite Professor Award. August 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Honorary Chairperson. August 12, 2017 - October 14, 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Distinguished Fellow in Gerontology, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education. January 1, 2015 - December 1, 2015
- Johnson, Christopher (Principal). Round Rock Faculty Speaker Series Grant, Round Rock Faculty Speaker Series Grants, Institutional (Higher Ed), $500. (Submitted: April 1, 2014, Funded: April 14, 2014 - Present). Grant.
- Johnson, Christopher (Principal). SAMHSA Campus Suicide Prevention, Funding Source not specified, $1000000. (Submitted: 2009). Grant.
- Johnson, Christopher J (Co-Principal), Sutton, Jana (Principal). SAMHSA Campus Suicide Prevention Grant., Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Federal, $1000000. (Submitted: January 1, 2009, Funded: January 1, 2009 - January 1, 2011). Grant.
- Bulot, J. (Co-Principal), Johnson, Christopher (Co-Principal), Hatchett, B. (Co-Principal). Down's Syndrome Alzheimer's Patients in Louisiana, Louisiana Office of Citizens with Developmental Disabilities, State. (Submitted: 2005). Grant.
- Bulot, T. (Principal), Johnson, Christopher (Co-Principal). The å"Comprehensive Gerontology Faculty Development and Program Accreditation Grantå", Louisiana Board of Regents, State, $48000. (Submitted: 2004, Funded: January 1, 2004 - December 31, 2006). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
Brookdale San Marcos South
September 5, 2017-Present
July 13, 2017-Present
Student Papers in Design for Dementia Class of Dr. Hegde's
May 4, 2017-Present
April 28, 2017-Present
Jewish Community Center, Alzheimer's Texas
April 26, 2017-Present