Faculty Profile for Dr. Patti Giuffre
Biography and EducationI received my Ph.D. in Sociology in 1996 at University of Texas at Austin. I began teaching at Texas State University in 1998. Currently, I am the Director of Graduate Programs in the Sociology department. I advise graduate students in four programs: The MA in Sociology, the MS in Applied Sociology, the MA/MS in Sustainability Studies, and the MS in Dementia and Aging Studies programs.
Teaching InterestsI have taught courses on gender, qualitative methods, and work at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Research InterestsMy research areas are work and occupations, gender, sexuality, and qualitative methods. I have conducted research on sexual harassment, sexual orientation discrimination, and experiences of LGBTQ workers in “gay-friendly” workplaces. One of my most recent projects, with Dr. Deborah Harris, is a study of women chefs. Our book, Taking the Heat: Women Chefs and Gender Inequality in the Professional Kitchen (with Rutgers University Press) was published May 2015. Taking the Heat was translated into Korean in 2017. Our book has been reviewed in several academic journals (Gender & Society; Qualitative Sociology; Food, Culture and Society; Sociological Forum; Contemporary Sociology; American Journal of Sociology; Feminist Collections; and, Humanity & Society).
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Giuffre, P., & Caviness, C. (n.d.). Sexualities in Workplaces, Employment, and Discrimination. In N. Naples (Ed.), Companion to Sexuality Studies.
- Giuffre, P. (2017). Book review of Styling Masculinity: Gender, Class, and Inequality in the Men’s Grooming Industry by Kristen Barber. Men and Masculinities.
- Giuffre, P., & Caviness, C. (2017). Gendered Organizations. In The Sage Encyclopedia of Psychology and Gender.
- Giuffre, P., & Sweet, S. (2017). Introduction: Special Issue, Incorporating Globalization in the Sociology Curriculum. Teaching Sociology, 45(4), 309–312.
- Giuffre, P., & Hudson, A. (2016). “Reflexivity.” In N. Naples (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Gender and Sexuality Studies.
- Award / Honor Recipient: Selected as site visit for the Feminist Activism Lecturer, Dr. Kris De Welde, Sociologists for Women in Society. 2017 - 2018
- Award / Honor Recipient: Feminist Mentor Award, Sociologists for Women in Society. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Golden Apple for Service, College of Liberal Arts/Texas State University. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Presidential Distinction Award for Service, College of Liberal Arts/Texas State University. 2017
- Award / Honor Recipient: Mariel Muir Mentoring Award, Texas State University. 2016
Selected Service Activities
Editorial Review Board Member
Teaching Sociology (American Sociological Association journal)
Sociology department newsletter co-editor
Teaching Sociology, special issue on "Incorporating Globalization into the Sociology Curriculum", co-edited with Stephen Sweet
Sustainability Faculty Council