Faculty Profile for Dr. Kyong H Chee
Biography and EducationKyong Hee Chee obtained her M.S. and Ph.D. in Sociology from Iowa State University. She has been named a fellow by the Gerontological Society of America.
Teaching InterestsAging, life course, dementia, and gender
Research InterestsDementia, elder care, social engagement, and community-based health intervention programs
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Pan, X., & Chee, K. H. (2019). The Power of Weak Ties in Preserving Cognition: A Longitudinal Study of Older Chinese Adults. Aging & Mental Health. https://doi.org/DOI:10.1080/13607863.2019.1597015
- Amini, R., Chee, K. H., Mendieta, M., & Parker, S. (2019). Online Engagement and Cognitive Function among Senior Adults. Geriatrics & Gerontology International.
- Amini, R., Chee, K. H., Swan, J., Mendieta, M., & Williams, T. (2017). The Level of Cognitive Impairment and Likelihood of Frequent Hospital Admissions. Journal of Aging and Health. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264317747078
- Chee, K. H. (2015). The Life Course in Context (Vol. 1). San Diego, California: Cognella Inc.
- Chee, K. H. (2012). For the Aging Multicultural World: Gerontology “Texting.” The Gerontologist.
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Excellence in Service, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University-San Marcos. August 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Civic Engagement in an Older America Project Senior Scholar Award, Gerontological Society of America. November 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2006 Sociological Spectrum Article of the Year, Mid-South Sociological Association. October 2006
- Award / Honor Recipient: Who's Who Among America's Teachers. January 2005
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Gerhart, Olga S (Co-Principal), Kim, Seoyoun (Co-Principal). Storytelling, Generativity, and Well-Being among Persons Living with Dementia, Texas State University, $17991. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Johnson, Christopher (Co-Principal). University Lecturers Series, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $4000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Kim, Eun Hae (Principal), Chee, Kyong H (Co-Principal), Baer, Ana Carrillo (Co-Principal), Galvan, Misti Reynolds (Other). A pilot study of the Intergenerational WellnessDance program., Texas State University, $36936. (Funded: August 2019 - August 2020). Grant.
- Kotarba, Joseph (Principal), Chee, Kyong (Principal). Needs Assessment for the Human Services Advisory Board,, City of San Marcos, Texas, Municipal, $35000. (Funded: 2012 - 2013). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong (Principal). Library Research Grant for the purchase of books on global aging, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1321. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
MSDA Advisory Council
Master of Science in Dementia and Aging Studies (MSDA)
August 15, 2019-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice
Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE) (Formerly, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education).
Faculty Senate Liaison
Texas State University