Faculty Profile for Dr. Kyong H Chee
Biography and EducationKyong Hee Chee obtained her M.S. and Ph.D. in Sociology from Iowa State University. She is an elected Fellow of the Gerontological Society of America. Before joining Texas State University in 2006, she was previously an assistant professor at Georgia Southern University. She is currently serving as the Director of the M.S. in Dementia and Aging Studies Program and the Primary Convener of the Alliance of Researchers in Aging(ARIA) that she founded in 2019.
Teaching InterestsAging, life course, dementia, and gender
Research InterestsDementia, elder care, social engagement, and community-based, intergenerational intervention programs
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Kim, E. H., Chee, K. H., DeStefano, C., Broome, A., & Bell, B. (2021). Retention in Intergenerational Exercise Classes for Older Adults: A Mixed-Method Research Study. Educational Gerontology, 47(6), 269–284.
- Pan, X., & Chee, K. H. (2020). The Power of Weak Ties in Preserving Cognition: A Longitudinal Study of Older Chinese Adults. Aging & Mental Health, 24(7), 1046–1053. https://doi.org/DOI:10.1080/13607863.2019.1597015
- Lee, H. J., & Chee, K. H. (2020). “Without Feeling Guilty”: Filial Piety and Eldercare in Twenty-First-Century Korea. In J. L. Shea & H. Zhang (Eds.), Beyond Filial Piety: Rethinking Aging and Eldercare in Contemporary East Asian Societies. Oxford and New York: Berghahn Publishers.
- Amini, R., Chee, K. H., Mendieta, M., & Parker, S. (2019). Online Engagement and Cognitive Function among Senior Adults. Geriatrics & Gerontology International.
- Amini, R., Chee, K. H., Swan, J., Mendieta, M., & Williams, T. (2017). The Level of Cognitive Impairment and Likelihood of Frequent Hospital Admissions. Journal of Aging and Health. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264317747078
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Excellence in Service, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University-San Marcos. August 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Civic Engagement in an Older America Project Senior Scholar Award, Gerontological Society of America. November 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2006 Sociological Spectrum Article of the Year, Mid-South Sociological Association. October 2006
- Award / Honor Recipient: Who's Who Among America's Teachers. January 2005
- Ngu, Hee H (Principal), Chang, Joshua (Co-Principal), Chee, Kyong H (Supporting), Milton, John (Supporting), Yan, Yan (Co-Principal). Collaborative Research: SCH: Personalized Watch-based Fall Risk Analysis and Detection with Cross Modal Learning, NSF-CISE, NIH, Federal, $1103754. (Submitted: February 8, 2021, Funded: September 1, 2021 - August 31, 2025). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Gerhart, Olga S (Co-Principal), Kim, Seoyoun (Co-Principal). Storytelling, Generativity, and Well-Being among Persons Living with Dementia, Texas State University, $17991. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Johnson, Christopher (Co-Principal). University Lecturers Series, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $4000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Kim, Eun Hae (Principal), Chee, Kyong H (Co-Principal), Baer, Ana Carrillo (Co-Principal), Galvan, Misti Reynolds (Other). A pilot study of the Intergenerational WellnessDance program., Texas State University, $36936. (Funded: August 2019 - May 31, 2021). Grant.
- Kotarba, Joseph (Principal), Chee, Kyong (Principal). Needs Assessment for the Human Services Advisory Board,, City of San Marcos, Texas, Municipal, $35000. (Funded: 2012 - 2013). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
MSDA Advisory Council
Master of Science in Dementia and Aging Studies (MSDA)
August 15, 2019-Present
Editorial Review Board Member
Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice
Faculty Senate Liaison
Texas State University
Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE) (Formerly, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education).
September 2017-May 2020