Faculty Profile for Dr. Kyong H Chee
Biography and EducationKyong Hee Chee obtained her M.S. and Ph.D. in Sociology from Iowa State University. She is a fellow of the Gerontological Society of America.
Teaching InterestsAging, life course, and dementia
Research InterestsGenerativity, cognition, elder care, and community-based intervention programs
Selected Scholarly/Creative Work
- Pan, X., & Chee, K. H. (2019). The Power of Weak Ties in Preserving Cognition: A Longitudinal Study of Older Chinese Adults. Aging & Mental Health. https://doi.org/DOI:10.1080/13607863.2019.1597015
- Amini, R., Chee, K. H., Swan, J., Mendieta, M., & Williams, T. (2017). The Level of Cognitive Impairment and Likelihood of Frequent Hospital Admissions. Journal of Aging and Health. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898264317747078
- Chee, K. H. (2015). The Life Course in Context (Vol. 1). San Diego, California: Cognella Inc.
- Chee, K. H. (2012). For the Aging Multicultural World: Gerontology “Texting.” The Gerontologist.
- Chee, K. H., Conger, R. D., & Elder, G. H. (2009). Mother’s Employment Demands, Work-Family Conflict, and Adolescent Development. International Journal of Sociology of the Family, 35(2), 189–202. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2949071/
- Award / Honor Recipient: College of Liberal Arts Achievement Award for Excellence in Service, College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 1, 2015
- Award / Honor Nominee: Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching, Texas State University-San Marcos. August 1, 2011
- Award / Honor Recipient: Civic Engagement in an Older America Project Senior Scholar Award, Gerontological Society of America. November 1, 2008
- Award / Honor Recipient: 2006 Sociological Spectrum Article of the Year, Mid-South Sociological Association. October 1, 2006
- Award / Honor Recipient: Dean's Award for Excellence in Service from the College of Liberal Arts, Texas State University. August 1, 2013
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Gerhart, Olga S (Co-Principal), Kim, Seoyoun (Co-Principal). Storytelling, Generativity, and Well-Being among Persons Living with Dementia, Texas State University, $17991. (Funded: July 1, 2018 - December 31, 2019). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong H (Principal), Johnson, Christopher (Co-Principal). University Lecturers Series, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $4000. (Funded: 2014). Grant.
- Kotarba, Joseph (Principal), Chee, Kyong (Principal). Needs Assessment for the Human Services Advisory Board,, City of San Marcos, Texas, Municipal, $35000. (Funded: 2012 - 2013). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong (Principal). Library Research Grant for the purchase of books on global aging, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1321. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
- Chee, Kyong (Principal). The 2012 Multicultural Curriculum Transformation and Research Institute, Center for Multicultural and Gender Studies, Texas State University, Institutional (Higher Ed), $1200. (Funded: 2012). Grant.
Selected Service Activities
PACE/COLA/Career Services Outreach Committee
Gerontological Society of America
Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE) (Formerly, Association for Gerontology in Higher Education).
MSDA Advisory Council
Faculty Senate Liaison
Texas State University